corner corner Fluke: Or, I Know Why the Winged Whale Sings

Fluke: Or, I Know Why the Winged Whale Sings
by Christopher Moore | Literature & Fiction
Registered by BethanieKay of Fort Worth, Texas USA on Saturday, June 02, 2007

status (set by BethanieKay): available

Journal Entry 1 by BethanieKay from Fort Worth, Texas USA on Saturday, June 02, 2007

From amazon.com:

In this entertaining adventure-in-whale-researching, Nathan Quinn, a prominent marine biologist, has been conducting studies in Hawaii for years trying to unravel the secret of why humpback whales sing. During a typical day of data gathering, Nate believes his mind is failing: the subject whale has "Bite Me" scrawled across its tail. Events become even stranger as the self-proclaimed "action nerds," Nate, photographer Clay, their research assistant Amy, and Kona, a white Rasta (a Jewish kid from New Jersey), encounter sabotage to their data and equipment. They also observe increasingly bizarre whale behavior, including a phone call from the whale to their wealthy sponsor to ask that Nate bring it a hot pastrami and Swiss on rye, and discover both a thriving underwater city and the secret to what happened to Amelia Earhart.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
I originally read this book a couple years ago at my sister's insistence. It was the first Christopher Moore book I had read. OMIGOD, it is so funny. After that, I walked (no, I think I ran ...) out to get every other book he has written. He definitely has a wild and wacky style of writing, one that I think you either love or hate. I fall into the former category rather than the latter. :)

Anyhow, the book was my sister's (Moody-Blue), and I now would like to see if I can get my boyfriend (Falkun) into reading Moore's books. I have purchased this to loan to him, and hope to keep it in my PC afterward.

Journal Entry 2 by BethanieKay from Fort Worth, Texas USA on Wednesday, June 13, 2007

I'm taking this book to my boyfriend (Falkun) when I fly up to Seattle visit him this weekend ...

Journal Entry 3 by falkun from Redmond, Washington USA on Monday, July 23, 2007

My girlfriend recommended this book to me and once again, not my typical fare but one must do what one must do to make the little lady happy :)
Started off interestingly enough. I've always had an interest in maring biology, so reading about their everyday life in the beginning was good. Then it took this really weird twist that I wasn't entirely certain about. It started off so normal and then became so strange that it took me some time to decide whether that was a good or bad thing. He wrapped it up skillfully at the end, so I was pleased with the overall book.

Journal Entry 4 by falkun from Redmond, Washington USA on Monday, July 23, 2007

Journal Entry 5 by BethanieKay from Fort Worth, Texas USA on Friday, July 27, 2007

Falkun is done reading this, so I nicked it back from him ;) I think I may offer this up as a bookring next!

Journal Entry 6 by BethanieKay from Fort Worth, Texas USA on Thursday, August 02, 2007

Updated 14OCT08

Even though I hope to get more readers for this Bookring, I'm going to go ahead and send it on its way so the first reader can start enjoying the book! The routing list is as follows:

1. flambard (West Sussex, UK - Post anywhere)
2. newk (Adelaide, Australia - Post anywhere)
3. RCLoriH (South Dakota, US - US shipping only)
4. Goddess-Of-Fire (Missouri, US - Prefers US shipping)
5. krin511 (Maryland, US - US/Canada shipping)
6. blackadder75 (Pennyslvania, US - US/Canada shipping)
7. red-dianthus (Surrey, British Columbia, Canada - US/Canada shipping)
8. surmisez (Massachuetts, US - prefers US)
9. sarahjanemc (Oregon, US - US only)
10. EthlArnold (Oregon, US ... impromptu ring joiner! ... read while sarahjanemc had the book)
11. hyphen8 (Hawaii, US - INTL ok)
12. Mary-T (Mannheim, Germany - INTL ok)
13. samulli (Thuringen, Germany - prefer Europe, but will do INTL)
14. ivylibra224 (Missouri, US - US only)
Then back to me! BethanieKay --> Texas, US ---> Book is back home with me now

If anyone else expresses an interest to join this Ring, I will definitely add them ... so each reader, please check this journal entry before you send the book to the next person.

Also ... please remember to make a journal entry to tell me when you received the book, what you thought of the book after you read it, and when you sent it to the next reader on the list. Thanks in advance!

Enjoy, and remember... Shared books are HAPPY books!!

Journal Entry 7 by BethanieKay at Controlled Release in Postal Release, Mailed to another bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Friday, August 03, 2007

Released 7 yrs ago (8/3/2007 UTC) at Controlled Release in Postal Release, Mailed to another bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

The bookring begins! Fluke is now on its way to flambard in the UK. Sent today via USPS INTL Air Letter Post. Should arrive within 2 weeks. Enjoy!

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single release!

Journal Entry 8 by Flambard from Horsham, West Sussex United Kingdom on Saturday, August 18, 2007

Fluke has arrived! Many thanks Bethanie! It won''t take me long to devour this one - I''m just starting a week''s holiday, so it has arrived at exactly the right time!

Journal Entry 9 by Flambard from Horsham, West Sussex United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 22, 2007

A bizarre and offbeat book which starts as one sort of story and then veers off in a completely unexpected direction - twisted and whacky! Not as mature as Moore's later stories (unsurprisingly), but entertaining and fun all the same, even if he thinks that the British never see the sun! A bit like saying Americans never see salads.....
Off to newk now! Many thanks!

Journal Entry 10 by Flambard at A fellow bookcrosser in By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Released 7 yrs ago (8/22/2007 UTC) at A fellow bookcrosser in By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

To newk by airmail

Journal Entry 11 by wingnewkwing from Adelaide, South Australia Australia on Thursday, August 30, 2007

newk has it thanks

Journal Entry 12 by wingnewkwing from Adelaide, South Australia Australia on Monday, September 03, 2007

Salads and Americans...well only if they could feed about five people.
Sun and the English..what more can I say.
Hey Flambard is Wyndham a new discovery or are you re-reading? I reckon he was one of the many authors who really got me going in my childhood.
Now Fluke. Could only have been written on drugs. Such a fantastic, in the sense of way out fantasy, read. Whale ships, original beings, "whales" asking for sandwiches. Accelerated evolution etc etc.
Thoroughly enjoyed it, tho not as much as Lamb. Have Lust Lizards around somewhere and am looking for the rest.
Thanks to you all, especially BK. Wow I wish I worked for an airline. And happy bookcrossing from Australia where we have the salads and sunshine in just the right amounts. Sadly not enough rain.

PS Flambard: don't think I didn't notice the very small snuck in photograph bookmark. Very neat.

Awaiting next address

Journal Entry 13 by wingnewkwing from Adelaide, South Australia Australia on Thursday, September 06, 2007

Posted today. Prospect PO. Took the dog for a walk

Journal Entry 14 by RCLoriH from Rapid City, South Dakota USA on Wednesday, September 19, 2007

The Winged Whale has arrived... looking forward to reading all about him.

Journal Entry 15 by RCLoriH from Rapid City, South Dakota USA on Wednesday, October 03, 2007

This author writes the most wonderfully bizzare books! Here I thought I had a wild imagination, but I have nothing on this guy.

Lots of fun! Thanks for sharing!

I'll send the Whaley Boys on their way as soon as I get the next address.

Journal Entry 16 by RCLoriH from Rapid City, South Dakota USA on Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Sending on to Goddess-of-Fire. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 17 by Goddess-Of-Fire from Springfield, Missouri USA on Monday, October 22, 2007

This book arrived last Wednesday, and I really thought I journaled it...but I obviously didn't. Sorry. :(

I did read it though. This is my 3rd Christopher Moore book, and while I still think I like Lamb the best, I really enjoyed this one as well.

Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 18 by Goddess-Of-Fire from Springfield, Missouri USA on Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Sent off to krin511 yesterday.
Thanks!

Journal Entry 19 by krin511 from Olney, Maryland USA on Monday, November 05, 2007

Arrived today - will start reading soon.

Journal Entry 20 by krin511 from Olney, Maryland USA on Sunday, November 18, 2007

This was a very funny and sometimes poignant book about whales, friendship, loyalty and discovering wonder in unexpected places. I liked the characters Nate, Amy, Kona, Clay and the Old Broad.

Journal Entry 21 by blackadder75 from Lebanon, Pennsylvania USA on Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Got this in today's mail. I have another book ring ahead of this. I should get to read this one later this week.

Journal Entry 22 by blackadder75 from Lebanon, Pennsylvania USA on Sunday, December 09, 2007

I really enjoyed this book. It was fun and witty. I found myself cracking up at some of the descriptions. I have red-dianthus address and will be shipping it off to her in the next couple of days.

Journal Entry 23 by red-dianthus from Surrey, British Columbia Canada on Monday, December 24, 2007

I just got this book in the mail today, like an early Christmas present. I will read it and get it on it's way to the next person as soon as I can.

Journal Entry 24 by red-dianthus from Surrey, British Columbia Canada on Monday, December 31, 2007

I loved this book. It made me laugh and was just the right kind of thing for relaxing during the holidays.

I will mail it off this afternoon, and I hope the next person enjoys it as much.

Journal Entry 25 by surmisez from Worcester, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, January 12, 2008

Received in mail today.

I've got a couple of books ahead of this one, but it shouldn't take me too long to get to it.

Thank you, BethanieKay, for including me in your BookRing!

Journal Entry 26 by surmisez from Worcester, Massachusetts USA on Friday, February 01, 2008

This is my first read by Christopher Moore. This was not only interesting, it was fanciful as well. I really enjoyed this book. It was very different from what I normally read.

Thanks, BethanieKay, for including me in your BookRing!

I have PM'd sarahjanemc for her address.

Journal Entry 27 by surmisez at Media Mail in US mail, A Trade -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, February 03, 2008

Released 6 yrs ago (2/4/2008 UTC) at Media Mail in US mail, A Trade -- Controlled Releases

Mailing to sarahjanemc, next in line for the BookRing.

Journal Entry 28 by sarahjanemc from Monmouth, Oregon USA on Thursday, February 14, 2008

I got the book yesterday and started it last night. So far - so good. Fluke is my first venture into the Christopher Moore World and i have heard nothing but great things!
Thanks!

Journal Entry 29 by sarahjanemc from Monmouth, Oregon USA on Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Im loving this book!
While at a higher ed conference, my coworker, EthlArnold, started reading it and i got her to join bookcrossing.com! She'll be making her first entry soon!
Only a few pages left and hope to finish tonight.

Journal Entry 30 by EthlArnold from Lubbock, Texas USA on Wednesday, February 27, 2008

sarahjanemc told me to read this book at a conference we were at - I read it in two days in between events - it was so good! There are a lot of good twists in this book - the ending is definitely odd, but intellegently so! It was wrapped up well and I really enjoyed it, so I'm off to catch copies of Moore's other books. My favorite quotes in here were from Kona, the surfer kid. "Heinous ... most foul" was by far was the best! I laughed so hard at the descriptions and analogies!Moore has a really refreshing style of conveying humor and character development into the story - he has such unique ideas, and it was a great read!

Journal Entry 31 by sarahjanemc from Monmouth, Oregon USA on Wednesday, March 12, 2008

this book was awesome!! I loved every page!!

I had some glitches with the PM system but have finally connected with hyphen8. The book will be in the mail tomorrow!!!

Journal Entry 32 by sarahjanemc from Monmouth, Oregon USA on Monday, March 17, 2008

mailed it on Friday!!!

Journal Entry 33 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Received today (Monday) - much faster than the mail from Seattle!

Looking forward to reading this, thanks! I'm in the middle of something now, but this one is next.

Edit 3/19: Ok, finished the latest book (Greenthieves) that might go in the Every Color of the Rainbow bookbox, so now I'm reading the adventures of the intrepid whale researchers. I'll have to keep reading for a little while longer tonight, because I *don't* want to go to sleep with the right whale mating scene in my head - seriously gross!

Since it's Christopher Moore and I have to share it, here are the other copies I've managed to collect over the years:

Journal Entry 34 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Saturday, March 22, 2008

This is my 4th Christopher Moore read (the others were A Dirty Job, Practical Demonkeeping, Bloodsucking Fiends, and Lamb).

In some ways, this one seems the farthest out there of his books that I've read so far. On the other hand, it's the most pointedly message-driven. I can't argue with the message, though.

Made me want a pastrami sandwich. The whole prehensile thing still freaks me out, but hey, maybe I'm just finicky. ;)

Will pm Mary-T for an address so this can move on. Don't think I can swing delivery by humpback, although it is the season here...

Journal Entry 35 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Mailed to Mary-T today (Tuesday 3/25).

Journal Entry 36 by wingMary-Twing from Bretzfeld, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Fluke just arrived. Thanks.
I'm looking forward reading this - but it needs to wait a bit... later more

22-June-08
OK - I think I need to realize that not all books by Christopher Moore are my kind of stuff.
This is one of them, I don't need to read.
I tried, but it's not really able to catch my attention - and furthermore I am not interested in following the story any longer...

Anyway, thanks for letting me get to know fluke.
I already have the next address and Fluke will be swimming to the next participant asap.

Journal Entry 37 by samulli from Weimar, Thüringen Germany on Thursday, July 03, 2008

Arrived today. I will get to it asap, I just have to finish a couple of library books I have to return next week.

Journal Entry 38 by samulli from Weimar, Thüringen Germany on Friday, July 11, 2008

My first Christopher Moore. Not bad, not bad at all. I can't say I was blown away, or laughed my ass off, but it was quite an entertaining read and I'll keep my eyes open for any other of his books. Personally, I think there are authors out there that are a lot funnier (P.G. Wodehouse and Bill Bryson come to mind immediately), but Moore is certainly enjoyable as well and this book was a nice quick read for a lazy afternoon.

But was it just me, or does the plot remind anybody else of Frank Schätzing's "The Swarm" as well? Once he started in with the whaley-boys and the goo-stuff and all, that thought kept nagging at me.

Thanks for including me in this ring. The book is packed up and ready to travel to America as soon as I get to the post office (probably tomorrow, but next week at the latest).

Journal Entry 39 by ivylibra224 from Kimberling City, Missouri USA on Monday, September 22, 2008

I received this book Friday, and just found time to journal. Thanks for reminding me, Bethanie! I adore Moore's work and I look forward to reading this one.

Journal Entry 40 by ivylibra224 from Kimberling City, Missouri USA on Sunday, October 05, 2008

Another winner by Moore! I certainly couldn't have predicted the twists and turns taken in this story! Fun reading! Thanks for sharing, BethanieKay!

Journal Entry 41 by BethanieKay from Fort Worth, Texas USA on Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Fluke has arrived back home! This copy of Fluke has now visited 16 different readers in 5 different countries. :)

Thank you to all of you who participated in this bookring!!

I'll leave Fluke on my bookshelf as AVL in case someone else wants to read it.