corner corner A True Story Based On Lies

Registered by Rossella05 on Saturday, May 19, 2007

status (set by Captainsdoxy): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by Rossella05 on Saturday, May 19, 2007

Synopsis
This novel addresses the universal issues of class discrimination, male oppression and female servitude, and opens a window on Mexico's Catholic and pagan customs as well as its folklore, magic and corruption.

Has been highly recommended.

Journal Entry 2 by Rossella05 on Tuesday, November 25, 2008

What I liked best about it and what, I think, makes this novel appealing and enjoyable, is the language; because of the tragic circumstances of the characters this could easily have been a difficult, harrowing read, but it didn't feel that way at all. You sense the author has a lot respect for its characters and doesn't simply rely on sentimentality to portray their feelings. This short novel is written in the first person (with poetic interludes) and its story is told by two characters: Leonora and Aura Olivia. The sweetness of their relationship gives the novel a warm atmosphere that adds light and beauty to this story. Ultimately the events, although dramatic, don't overshadow the many examples of human dignity, quiet strenght and resiliance of those who endure them. One of my favourite reads of 2008, I'm looking forward to reading more books by Jennifer Clement.

Journal Entry 3 by Rossella05 at Harrow, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Released 5 yrs ago (11/30/2008 UTC) at Harrow, Greater London United Kingdom

I will be sending this book to a fellow bookcrosser as part of Lucy-lemon's Christmas RABCK Surprise.

I hope you'll give it a try!

Journal Entry 4 by wingKiwiinEnglandwing from Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Friday, December 26, 2008

Thank you for the Christmas gift Rossella05. I started reading this on Christmas day and so far it is a really good read. I can see why you think this is one of the best reads of 2008. I'm sure I will enjoy reading this book!! :)

I hope your christmas was peaceful and bookfilled.

Journal Entry 5 by wingKiwiinEnglandwing from Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Monday, January 05, 2009

This story is written in a way that lets the story flow between two woman’s lives, and shows the effect social structure has on everyone in the house. The husband seems to care little about how his decisions upset his wife so much she sleeps all day to escape her life, the maid seems resilient and resigned to her life.

This is a lovely book, and the shortness of the chapters and changes in time scale allow the story to unfold at an unhurried pace. I shall pass it on to my mother to read. Thank you again Rossella05

Journal Entry 6 by wingKiwiinEnglandwing at Dunedin, Otago New Zealand on Thursday, April 02, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (4/6/2009 UTC) at Dunedin, Otago New Zealand

I am passing this book on to my mother in New Zealand. I hope she enjoys the writing style as much as I did.

Journal Entry 7 by -tui- from Dunedin, Otago New Zealand on Thursday, February 18, 2010

Received from my daughter.
This book is depressing for the new generation woman, but are we assured that this lifestyle is no longer happening? no.
An educative read

Journal Entry 8 by wingKiwiinEnglandwing at The Library Bar in Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Thursday, February 18, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (2/23/2010 UTC) at The Library Bar in Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand

Journal Entry 9 by wingSherlockfanwing from Upper Hutt, Wellington Province New Zealand on Thursday, February 25, 2010

Caught at "The Library" when Wellington Bookcrossers held a special extra meet-up to welcome KiwiinEngland who was visiting her home country on holiday. We had a real fun evening, proceeding after the meeting to have dinner at "Chow" an associated Asian restaurant. Good food and great company.
I'm looking forward to reading this.

Journal Entry 10 by wingSherlockfanwing from Upper Hutt, Wellington Province New Zealand on Friday, March 05, 2010

Not being educated in a way that lets me appreciate poetry I missed any beauty from the poetic interludes. Those I did read I found very lacking in any relevance at all.
However, the intertwined stories of Leonora and Aura Olivia were quite fascinating. All the main characters were well-drawn although Mr O'Connor gave me the creeps. Both Sofia and the monosyllabic Josefa were delightful in their own way and added a great sense of reality to the tale.
Just can't dismiss this as the usual serving girl done wrong by the master of the house tale - there is more to it than that.
Unlike other books I've read recently this one will linger in my mind - my test of a really good book.

Edit 31.10.2011 to say "So much for this book lingering in my mind. I can't recollect it at all a mere 19 months later.

Journal Entry 11 by wingSherlockfanwing at The Library Bar in Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Friday, March 05, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (3/8/2010 UTC) at The Library Bar in Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand

Taking this to the March meet-up where I hope it will find a curious reader.

Journal Entry 12 by Captainsdoxy at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Sunday, October 30, 2011

Caught at Martha's Pantry. Not sure how it got here from The Library - probably one of the ones that Edwardstreet rescued and relocated.

Journal Entry 13 by Captainsdoxy at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Thursday, November 24, 2011

I enjoyed the interweaving of the two voices, and the way the time unfolds through the narration. The 'poetic interludes' didn't really do much for me - sorry - but overall I found the story intriguing.

Have set it free to continue its travels

Journal Entry 14 by Captainsdoxy at Wellington Airport in Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Thursday, November 24, 2011

Released 2 yrs ago (11/23/2011 UTC) at Wellington Airport in Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand

Left on a window table in Mojo's cafe