corner corner The Rule of Four

The Rule of Four
by Ian Caldwell, Dustin Thomason | Literature & Fiction
Registered by read-a-bit of Bremen, Bremen Germany on 5/7/2007

status (set by AnonymousFinder): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by read-a-bit from Bremen, Bremen Germany on Monday, May 07, 2007

Could not resist when I came across this one at the flea market. For just one Euro, well, who could have resisted? (o;

Tom Sullivan, about to graduate from Princeton, is haunted by the violent death of his father, an academic who devoted his life to one of the rarest, most complex books in the world. Coded in seven languages, the Hypnerotomachia Poliphili, an intricate mathematical mystery and a tale of love and arcane brutality, has baffled scholars since 1499.

Together with his friend Paul, they try to expose the book´s secret after a friend of them, also involved in the study of the book, got killed. What will happen next? What will they discover? Will they stay alive long enough to tell anybody?

Journal Entry 2 by read-a-bit from Bremen, Bremen Germany on Sunday, December 07, 2008

Well, I started to read this one but it could not catch me. It took too long to get somewhere (or maybe I was too impatient), and I did not like the scenery taken for a start. So, I hope it will find some other reader who will enjoy it more.

Is now reserved for delfinetti in exchange for some other books. Thanks delfinetti!

Journal Entry 3 by wingdelfinnettiwing from Siegen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Thank you for the trade, read-a-bit! I rescued the book from the post office today. Maybe I will manage to read the book till april, then it might accompany me on a tour through Ireland...

Journal Entry 4 by wingdelfinnettiwing from Siegen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Well the book didn´t come along to Ireland, but it did accompany me on my trip to the Amsterdam 2010 Bookcrossing Convention. It came back with me because I didn´t manage to read it all on the way there and wanted to know how it would end. Well now I know! I finished the book yesterday evening.
Somehow I have this feeling like this is a downsized version of "Angels and Demons" for Collage students in America, and somewhat confusing at that. At some point I lost track and interesst who was framing Paul in what way, there were just too many of that. The very end I liked even though on the last pages bevor the end I thought I would be depressing. I wonder if the book realy exists, but not enough to go and find it out for myself... I can´t see myself in Pauls shoes and neither in Toms so even they were somewhat likeable characters I was not that encanted by the book. But still a good read for a long train-travell...
If my plain to Teneriffa will actually get of the ground with me on board and on time, this book will be in the luggage to be released there.

Journal Entry 5 by wingdelfinnettiwing at Teide in Tenerife, Islas Canarias Spain on Friday, April 30, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (4/30/2010 UTC) at Teide in Tenerife, Islas Canarias Spain

I wanted to release the book on the mountaintop, but the cold and the wind made me forget that idea. So I left the book about half way down to the cable-car (Seilbahn?) must have been about 3600 m above see level all the same. I left the book in a more or less wind-shielded spot in a release bag. I suppose one of the dozens of people who wanted to see the sunrise from the peak will have picked it up on their way down... I was too cold and had a bad headace at the time and didn´t care all that much to watch from the cable car station. I just sat in a shielded spot and tried to get warm while waiting to get of the mountain ;-)
I hope whoever found the book will enjoy reading it!

Journal Entry 6 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Sunday, May 09, 2010

It was nice surprise to find a book almost at the top of vulcan :) Me and my husband took it, because we found the idea of traveling book very attractive.
I have already read half a book, but still have feeling that I just started. So the style is very slow and I wonder why it is compared with da Vinci Code.
Reviews say that the second half of the novel reads much quicker, so I'll try get through it :) and I'll think where to release it next.

Now book is in Vilnius (Lithuania).

To delfinnetti: wikipedia says Hypnerotomachia really exists. And lots of facts in this book about Hypnerotomachia are real too.

CAUGHT IN TEIDE TENERIFE SPAIN