corner corner The Diving-bell and the Butterfly

The Diving-bell and the Butterfly
by Jean-Dominique Bauby | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by nifferdoodle of Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on 5/4/2007

status (set by sobell_bookshop): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by nifferdoodle from Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Friday, May 04, 2007

After suffering a massive stroke, Jean-Dominique Bauby, editor-in-chief of French Elle and the father of two young children, found himself completely paralysed, speechless and able only to move one eyelid. With his eyelid he 'dictated' this remarkable book.

Being a speech therapist, I couldn't help but buy this book. I'm half way through it so far and am loving it...especially when he calls his speech therapist his guardian angel. At least we're appreciated by SOME people!

Journal Entry 2 by nifferdoodle from Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Monday, May 07, 2007

I loved this book. Maybe I loved it especially because I am a speech therapist AND because my grandfather had a stroke when I was a teenager. I love that he was able to still communicate and that we are allowed a glimpse into his life. I already bought two more copies to share with family and friends.
This copy, though, is going to be released in Waterford today as part of the All Around Ireland Challenge.

Journal Entry 3 by nifferdoodle from Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Friday, May 11, 2007

Change of plans! I have been asked to turn this into a book ring. So far, these are those who have asked to join:

kiwiinengland
carnsoreboxer
microsquid
juicy-comrade
k2005

Journal Entry 4 by kiwiinengland from Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Thursday, May 24, 2007

Picked up at the Dublin book crossing meet up held in the Library bar, Central Hotel. May 2007

Thanks Nifferdoodle for starting this ring.

Journal Entry 5 by kiwiinengland from Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Friday, May 25, 2007

I read this in a night, and it was a lovely written book of short segments of the author's life. He described events in a way that you could imagine them so well, with fine detail…which I suppose is not surprising as he had months of stillness to process events and remember things.

Contacting the next person to pass it on.

Journal Entry 6 by kiwiinengland from Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Monday, May 28, 2007

I shall be passing this on to carnsoreboxer this afternoon.

Journal Entry 7 by carnsoreboxer from Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Monday, May 28, 2007

Received from Kiwiinengland over coffee today and looking forward to reading it. Will contact microsquid when finished

Journal Entry 8 by carnsoreboxer from Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Thursday, June 07, 2007

Good moving story - astonishing what a human being can do!

In the post to microsquid!

Journal Entry 9 by microsquid from Cobh, Co. Cork Ireland on Sunday, June 17, 2007

Thanks for sharing - Will get to it as soon as I can - I'm swamped by rings at the moment and am trying to do a FIFO system

Journal Entry 10 by microsquid from Cobh, Co. Cork Ireland on Thursday, July 12, 2007

Wow - this really is a beautiful book. The constraints on the author lead him to crystallise each image to the essentials, although this must be a gift of the translator, too. (I wonder how the Kangaroo poem sounds in French?) and each chapter is vividly conveyed.
It's a lovely easy read - I sped through it in two pre-bedtime blasts - if only more books were so small and perfectly formed!

The ALIS website in English is here

I'll contact juicy-comrade to find out the books next home

Journal Entry 11 by juicy-comrade from Victoria, British Columbia Canada on Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Arrived yesterday.

Journal Entry 12 by k2005 from Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Friday, February 08, 2008

received this in the post yesterday and i'm already halfway through it!

Journal Entry 13 by k2005 from Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Thursday, February 14, 2008

what a moving story and a beautifully written book.

Journal Entry 14 by sobell_bookshop at Sobell Bookshop (OBCZ) in Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Friday, January 20, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (1/20/2012 UTC) at Sobell Bookshop (OBCZ) in Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom

On the bookcrossing shelf behind the counter.