corner corner We Thought You Would Be Prettier: True Tales of the Dorkiest Girl Alive

We Thought You Would Be Prettier: True Tales of the Dorkiest Girl Alive
by Laurie Notaro | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by wingmaryzeewing of Taneytown, Maryland USA on 5/21/2007

status (set by jsara): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingmaryzeewing from Taneytown, Maryland USA on Monday, May 21, 2007

Picked this up at the library book sale. Looks interesting; I've not read anything by this author before.

From the cover -
She thought she'd have more time. Laurie Notaro figured she had at least a few good years left. But no - it's happened. She has officially lost her marbles. From the kid at the pet-food store checkout line whose coif is so bizarre it makes her seethe "I'm going to kick his hair's ass!" to the hapless Sears customer-service rep on the receiving end of her Campaign of Terror, no one is safe from Laurie's wrath. Her cranky side seems to have eaten the rest of her - inner-thigh Chub Rub and all. And the results are breathtaking. Her riffs on e-mail spam ("With all of these irresistible offers served up to me on a plate, I WANT A PENIS NOW!!!!"), eBay ("There should be an eBay wading pool, where you only get to bid on Precious Moments figurines and Avon products, and you have to make it through that first before jumping into the deep end"), and the perils of St. Patrick's Day ("When I'm driving, the last thing I need is a herd of inebriates darting in and out of traffic like loaded chickens") are the stuff of legend. And for Laurie, it's all 100 percent true.

Journal Entry 2 by wingmaryzeewing from Taneytown, Maryland USA on Wednesday, September 10, 2008

I loved this book. I bought this book, thinking it was chick lit. Close, but not quite. This is non-fiction, although with lots of exaggeration, a book of essays and Laurie's stories. One of my favorites was the first one about her book tour. I loved the bit about the unknown cell phone ring. And I was so happy to hear that the title phrase didn't come from her parents. And what a horror story about having her tonsils out - she does tend to exaggerate a bit ;)

This is reserved to restart ClassicFox's bookring.

Journal Entry 3 by wingmaryzeewing from Taneytown, Maryland USA on Friday, September 12, 2008

This copy is going out to restart ClassicFox's stalled bookring. I'm not really concerned that this comes back to me, although I could add more folks to the bookray if folks are interested.

Remaining on Classfox's list -

Waterfalling - NC
Oi-Reader - OH
Athomegoddess - CA
HunterRyu - NJ
Girlieeee1 - PA (asked to be skipped)
Skizeye9 - DC
Tempestsans - GA
Grizzlygirl - AZ (asked to be skipped)
WhiskeyJane - NM
Aberpeter - WA
Kerbam1421 - MD
Esq228 - NJ
Jsara - NH

Journal Entry 4 by spoiledrotten from Waldwick, New Jersey USA on Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Thanks so much for restarting this ring. It will be the next book I read.

Journal Entry 5 by spoiledrotten from Waldwick, New Jersey USA on Sunday, September 28, 2008

This was the first book I have read by this author. Parts of it were cute and funny, especially since the car I drive is a Red Camaro!! I will try & get this in the Tuesday morning, will journal again when sent. Thanks so much Mary Zee for restarting this ring and sending off to me.

Journal Entry 6 by spoiledrotten at Moore, Oklahoma USA on Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (9/30/2008 UTC) at Moore, Oklahoma USA

This book was sent to Aramena this morning. Enjoy.

Journal Entry 7 by wingAramenawing from Moore, Oklahoma USA on Thursday, October 02, 2008

Received today! I should finish my current read by the weekend and then will start on this.

Journal Entry 8 by wingAramenawing from Moore, Oklahoma USA on Monday, October 13, 2008

When I laughed out loud on the fourth page of this book, I knew it was gonna be a good one, and it was! I've never been interested in reading The Idiot Girls' Action-Adventure Club, but now I've reconsidering that since I enjoyed this book so much. I think my favorite was But It Won't Fit Up My Nose, though I liked all the stories, except Curse of the Squinky Eye.

Since there's no mail running today (Columbus Day), this will go out tomorrow to 300dogs.

Journal Entry 9 by 300dogs from Jackson, New Jersey USA on Monday, October 20, 2008

Arrived safely this weekend. I have a few others ahead of this but will get to it asap.

Journal Entry 10 by 300dogs from Jackson, New Jersey USA on Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Oh my gosh, what a funny book. I started reading this yesterday on a flight from JFK-LAX. I was laughing out loud by page 6 and continued to laugh all the way across the country. Today, as I flew back to JFK, I was still laughing. The part about her Pop Pop bringing home the case of Jeri Curl had me in stitches. I hope this isn't TMI---the chapter about the neighbor referred to as Cat Lady and her ferel cat farm just about had me wetting my pantyhose!! Oh, what a great laugh I had.

Thanks for the great bookring MaryZee! I already have the address for SimplyCee and will mail this out to her tomorrow. Thanks again!

Journal Entry 11 by 300dogs at BookRing, by mail -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, November 06, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (11/6/2008 UTC) at BookRing, by mail -- Controlled Releases

This book is being mailed to SimplyCee in Georgia, the next in line for this ring. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 12 by SimplyCee from Baltimore, Maryland USA on Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Arrived today! I loved the Action-Adventure Club and this'll be my second (but probably not my last) Notaro book. I can't wait to read it. PMing next in line for address to have ready when I finish the book.

November 19:
Sent off to waterfalling today.

Journal Entry 13 by wingwaterfallingwing from Raleigh, North Carolina USA on Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Picked up today. Will PM the next in line. Should be able to finish over the holiday weekend and send on.

Journal Entry 14 by wingwaterfallingwing from Raleigh, North Carolina USA on Wednesday, December 03, 2008

I think that I liked this one more than Idiot Girls, a more mature Laurie (not necessarily older and wiser but dealing with issues other than trying to get home after a night of drinking). The book tour stories were a favorite.

Mailed on to oi-reader today.

Journal Entry 15 by oi-reader from Toledo, Ohio USA on Monday, December 08, 2008

Arrived safely today, have one ring ahead of it but will get to it soon :)

Journal Entry 16 by oi-reader from Toledo, Ohio USA on Thursday, January 01, 2009

This is the second book I've read by Laurie Notaro, and I love her!!! Laugh out loud funny, definately a book to keep around when you think nothing else can go wrong in your life, then read about hers :) Thanks for sharing, it is packaged and will be sent to the next participant tomorrow.

Journal Entry 17 by oi-reader at -- Somewhere, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Thursday, January 01, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (1/2/2009 UTC) at -- Somewhere, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Enjoy!

Journal Entry 18 by AtHomeGoddess from Fresno, California USA on Friday, January 09, 2009

Yay! Got it in the mail today! Will be starting it this weekend!

Journal Entry 19 by AtHomeGoddess from Fresno, California USA on Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Sorry it has taken me forever to journal and pass it on! This book was a fun and quirky read. I could totally relate to some of the jams she got herself into! I look forward to reading more from this off beat author.

Journal Entry 20 by wingHunterRyuwing from West Norriton, Pennsylvania USA on Wednesday, August 05, 2009

After being stalled before me I am afraid to say it will take a rest stop here as well. Why do bookrings all arrive at the same time and while life is taking place leaving little reading time? I promise to read, enjoy, and share as soon as I can and thank you for letting me take part.

Journal Entry 21 by wingHunterRyuwing from West Norriton, Pennsylvania USA on Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Almost done reading now, these stories are hilarious and I can pretty much relate to 75% of them. Thank you for sharing, PMing next person for address and will mail ASAP when I finish!

Journal Entry 22 by wingHunterRyuwing from West Norriton, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, October 02, 2009

Girlieeee1 is unable to participate at this time, contacting Skizeye9 now <3 Sorry for the stall, will get this book moving again!

Journal Entry 23 by wingHunterRyuwing at to the next participant, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (11/10/2009 UTC) at to the next participant, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

Mailing this off to skizeye9 on my next trip to the post office! Enjoy!

((sorry for the delay, my motherboard died and I was computerless for several weeks))

Journal Entry 24 by skizeye9 from Washington, District of Columbia USA on Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Looking forward to reading but have a couple bookrings in front!

Journal Entry 25 by skizeye9 from Washington, District of Columbia USA on Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Just finished the bookring I had to finish before this one--so I can start reading this one now. Hooray! Thanks for your patience.

Journal Entry 26 by skizeye9 at Washington, District of Columbia USA on Thursday, May 27, 2010

Hi All! Finished this book. I kind of had to push through. I thought she was funny but of course that it was random. I'm thinking maybe these funny memoir types of books just aren't meant for me... I need a plot to tie it all together. A beginning, middle and end. But there were definitely moments that I could totally relate to. Will reach out to the next person in the bookray.

Journal Entry 27 by skizeye9 at Washington, District of Columbia USA on Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Just want to say I PM'd the person next in the line after me "tempestsans" on both May 27 and June 2 but haven't heard from them. Tried again today... Guess I'll move on to the next person in line after if I still don't hear back in another week or so.

Journal Entry 28 by skizeye9 at Washington, District of Columbia USA on Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (7/6/2010 UTC) at Washington, District of Columbia USA

On its way to Tempestsans!

Journal Entry 29 by tempestsans at Canton, Georgia USA on Sunday, August 01, 2010

this book is now with me. will be next on my tbr unless vacation next week gets here first as i don't carry books with me when i fly unless they are able to be wild released while i travel. if that happens, this book will be next on the list when i return and hopefully be on the move again by late august.

Journal Entry 30 by tempestsans at Canton, Georgia USA on Monday, August 16, 2010

about 1/2 way through and being enjoyed. am PMing GrizzlyGirl tonight in hopes of having mailing address and completing the book by the end of the week to get it on it's way in the mail friday or saturday.

Journal Entry 31 by tempestsans at Canton, Georgia USA on Sunday, August 22, 2010

GrizzlyGirl finally responded to my request for address but wishes to be skipped. will be contacting WhiskeyJane tonight in hopes of having address to be able to mail out on Tuesday this week as i have finished reading this one.

quite enjoyable. BCers Firegirl and Flathat had both mentioned this author when i met them in AZ several years back so i was thrilled to have the chance to try her out with this book. i'll be looking for more.

easy read, entertaining writer, totally believable stories.

Journal Entry 32 by tempestsans at Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (9/15/2010 UTC) at Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

after an unintended delay caused by my massive clean sweep effort at home, this one is finally out the door in the mail to the next reader whiskeyjane. sorry for the delay and thanks for the share. this is a great first exposure to this author and i'll be looking forward to others by her.

Journal Entry 33 by whiskeyjane at Albuquerque, New Mexico USA on Friday, September 24, 2010

Book arrived safely in today's mail. Will start reading it tonite. Perfect timing - I was just wondering what book to read next.

Journal Entry 34 by whiskeyjane at Albuquerque, New Mexico USA on Friday, September 24, 2010

Some pretty funny stories. I liked reading about the dumb situations she finds herself in like losing her wallet and getting locked out of her house. Could happen to anyone! And the way her mom's words of advice replay in her head probably happens to a lot of people. I have PM'd next on list, Aberpeter for addy. I will put this in the mail next week as soon as I finish it.

Journal Entry 35 by whiskeyjane at Albuquerque, New Mexico USA on Monday, October 04, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (10/5/2010 UTC) at Albuquerque, New Mexico USA

In the mail to next in line for the book ring, Aberpeter.

Journal Entry 36 by Aberpeter at Kirkland, Washington USA on Monday, October 25, 2010

the book is here!

Journal Entry 37 by Aberpeter at Kirkland, Washington USA on Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Notaro has a way of taking the most mundane situations in her life and finding the humor in them. Who else would describe the pores on their face as large enough to plant flowers in? Notaro's books are great when you are looking for some light, humorous reading.

Journal Entry 38 by Aberpeter at Kirkland, Washington USA on Friday, October 29, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (10/29/2010 UTC) at Kirkland, Washington USA

dropping in the mail

Journal Entry 39 by kerbam1421 at Halethorpe, Maryland USA on Monday, November 08, 2010

Received this over the weekend. I have one and half books in front of this one. I promise to get to it ASAP. Thank you for including me and sending my way! :)

Journal Entry 40 by kerbam1421 at Halethorpe, Maryland USA on Thursday, November 18, 2010

I started reading this last night and have literally LOLed many times. ;)

Journal Entry 41 by kerbam1421 at Halethorpe, Maryland USA on Monday, December 06, 2010

Released 6 yrs ago (12/4/2010 UTC) at Halethorpe, Maryland USA

This book had me cracking up! I'm currently reading her Christmas book and it's cracking me up as well.

Off to NJ!

USPS DC#: 03071790000130900464

Journal Entry 42 by StinaRy at Bloomfield, New Jersey USA on Friday, December 17, 2010

Arrived the other day. Have one other bookring book before it, but will start on it next. Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 43 by StinaRy at Bloomfield, New Jersey USA on Sunday, January 09, 2011

Loved it. Loved it. Loved it! Had me laughing aloud within the first few pages and never stopped. Can't wait to read some more of Notaro's work.

Have PM's Jsara and will send this out as soon as I have an address.

Thank you so so much for sharing!!

Journal Entry 44 by StinaRy at Bloomfield, New Jersey USA on Friday, January 21, 2011

Heard back from Jsara -- will be sending this out to her on Monday.

Journal Entry 45 by StinaRy at -- BOOKRAY, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (1/31/2011 UTC) at -- BOOKRAY, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Sent to next reader.

Journal Entry 46 by jsara at Stratham, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, February 09, 2011

just received in the mail...this is next on my list!