corner corner How to Travel with a Salmon & Other Essays

How to Travel with a Salmon & Other Essays
by Umberto Eco, William Weaver | Humor
Registered by AnnevO of Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Monday, April 30, 2007

status (set by Annelis): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by AnnevO from Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Monday, April 30, 2007

Life today can be a challenge, to be sure, but under the scrutiny of Umberto Eco even its darkest, most difficult passages - replacing a driver's license, or not using a cellular phone, for instance - become painfully, delightfully, ridicoulously clear.

Journal Entry 2 by AnnevO from Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, May 05, 2007

Reserved for my Summer Holiday in Norway Release.

Journal Entry 3 by AnnevO at OBCZ Café Marienlyst in St. Hanshaugen bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on Thursday, June 28, 2007

Released 7 yrs ago (7/3/2007 UTC) at OBCZ Café Marienlyst in St. Hanshaugen bydel, Oslo fylke Norway

This book will be released in the OBCZ on either July 2nd, 3rd or 4th, during my visit to Oslo.

Journal Entry 4 by wingHaugtussawing from Stavanger, Rogaland fylke Norway on Sunday, July 15, 2007

Picked this up at the OBCZ at Kirkeveien.

Journal Entry 5 by wingHaugtussawing from Stavanger, Rogaland fylke Norway on Wednesday, July 23, 2008

I've finally finished this book - it has taken me a long tims, as I've read an essay a day (at the most). I'm actually in two minds about the book, some of the essays I enjoyed immensly eg: How to Travel with a Salmon, How to Replace a Driver's License, How Not to Talk about Soccer and How to Play Indians. They made me laugh out load.
But I struggled with some of the essays, especially the longer ones. I either felt that they were outdated, or I'm just to simple to understand them!

Even so - I like Eco's writing, and this book was very differnt to anything else I've ever read by him. I did find him witty - and if I ever am to open a public library, well - he has given me some good hints on how to organize the books and who to employ!

This will now be a bookring:
marko167 - Switzerland
over-the-moon - Switzerland
Queensissi - Portugal
katayoun - Iran

Back home to me.

Journal Entry 6 by marko167 from Sant Pere de Ribes, Barcelona Spain on Thursday, August 07, 2008

Arrived this morning. Will be read and on its' way soon.

Journal Entry 7 by marko167 from Sant Pere de Ribes, Barcelona Spain on Monday, January 12, 2009

Firstly let me apologise for keeping the book so long but real life kept getting in the way.

I really enjoyed some of the essays in this collection, especially where Eco reflected and let rip at some of the absurdities we experience in real-life especially the discussions on getting a replacement driving license, how to eat ice-cream and buying gadgets. Brilliant observational comedy. However, one of the reasons this book didn't fly out of the house one week after I received it were the longer pieces Stars and Stripes and How to Draw a Map which were painfully boring and to me at least obtuse.

Anyway excusing these I did enjoy the book and will soon be searching out a copy for my PC.

Journal Entry 8 by marko167 at Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, January 12, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (1/12/2009 UTC) at Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Off it goes on the short trip to the hometown of my personal bête noir The International Olympic Committee.

Journal Entry 9 by over-the-moon from Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Thursday, January 15, 2009

Great! this will be my morning train journey read for the next week or so. So it will be to-ing and fro-ing between the home of the IOC and the home of Nestlé, another bête noire.

Journal Entry 10 by over-the-moon from Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Monday, January 26, 2009

I have always admired Eco's imagination and erudition, and am pleased to know he can be witty, too - and even laugh-out-loud funny sometimes. I also admire his translators, and especially here, as humour is not so easy to translate. I really liked his take on some of the situations described, and some struck a chord (having struggled myself with hotel minibars, where you just have to move a bottle slightly and it gets put on your bill).
Three Owls on a Chest of Drawers is rather obscure but reminded me of the time when I worked on a scientific journal called Cognition, where all the articles were written in the same vein. I quite liked Stars and Stripes, but agree with other readers that the Map one is too long and boring, and just too silly to spend time thinking about it. I liked How to Play Indians, How not to know the time and the other short ones.

Now it's off to Portugal and QueenSissi.

Journal Entry 11 by over-the-moon from Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Thursday, March 05, 2009

for some unknown reason the book has come back to me. I'll get in touch with QueenSissi again to check address.

Journal Entry 12 by over-the-moon from Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Thursday, March 19, 2009

Well, I did check with QueenSissi, the book went all the way to the post office in her village and came back to me stamped "unknown at this address", though my labelling was perfectly OK. Somehow the Swiss post found me although I had only put my surname and ZIP code on the envelope... It is now on its way back to the same Portuguese village, and I am hoping this time the Portuguese postman gets it right. I mailed it a week ago at the same time as a book for France which arrived at its destination yesterday.

This is a well-travelled salmon. Or should it be bacalhau?

Journal Entry 13 by QueenSissi from Gouveia, Guarda Portugal on Friday, March 20, 2009

With no salmon in it :), it arrived safe and sound. I wonder what happened the first time since this goes to a p.o. box directly at the post office (must have been new mail officer). Sorry for the troubles the salmon got us into...

Reading it after finishing one on my nightstand.

Journal Entry 14 by QueenSissi from Gouveia, Guarda Portugal on Sunday, March 14, 2010

I am really sorry for stalling this book. I wish I could explain but it really doesn't make a difference, since it has all been my fault.

I love the way Eco writes and I had so much fun reading this in the evenings. I used to read the most hilarious/ similar to Portuguese scenes to my husband and we had a blast.

I have sent a PM to Katayoun and will send the book ASAP.

Sorry once again, especially to Haugtussa for not answering her PM.

Journal Entry 15 by wingkatayounwing from Tehran, Tehran Iran on Sunday, April 18, 2010

the book is here! i've currently got one half finished book and one really bad cold and so would probably be starting this book in 10 days or so.
update: ahhhh and i was finally able to find it, not with the search mind you :) but find it i did!! :) so first of sorry for the lack of journal, though now that i see it's safe and sound and home i feel a bit less guilty. thanks for the ring, i liked most of the essays, though i did give some of them a miss, like the one riddled with math and i must add that i enjoyed the last essays a bit less than the first one, most probably because the book and essays had lost some of their freshness. they all had a bit of the same irony in them, which in a story would probably be enchanting, but maybe in small essays read one after another might grow a bit stale after the 14th or 15th, though again i must add that i liked the book more than not and am quite happy to have had the chance to read it, thanks so much Haugtussa for the ring and again sorry for the tardiness in journaling.

Journal Entry 16 by wingHaugtussawing at Stavanger, Rogaland fylke Norway on Tuesday, June 01, 2010

The book arrived back in Stavanger today, on a nice sunny day! A perfect day to travel with a Salmon!

Journal Entry 17 by wingHaugtussawing at Stavanger, Rogaland fylke Norway on Saturday, September 18, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (9/18/2010 UTC) at Stavanger, Rogaland fylke Norway

A kitten travelling with a salmon - or the other way around! Enjoy!

Journal Entry 18 by gunvor at Søborg, København Amt Denmark on Wednesday, September 22, 2010

This kitten came with the mail today, thanks sis Haugtussa. I was very surprised, had expected a different author, but looking forward for this read.

Journal Entry 19 by gunvor at Herlev, København Amt Denmark on Monday, April 09, 2012

Enjoyed some of the essays better than others. Have been my in-between book, so it has taken some time to read. I think it's time for the salmon and the others to travel further.

Journal Entry 20 by gunvor at A RABCK SURPRISE!, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, November 17, 2012

Released 1 yr ago (11/17/2012 UTC) at A RABCK SURPRISE!, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

The salmon is travelling further on.

Journal Entry 21 by wingAnneliswing at Kerava, Uusimaa Finland on Monday, November 26, 2012

I did not know Umberto Eco wrote this kind of books, too. This looks an interesting book.
Thank you very much for the RABCK surprise, Gunvor!