corner corner Driving Over Lemons: An Optimist in Andalucia

Driving Over Lemons: An Optimist in Andalucia
by Chris Stewart | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by madmadge of New Milton, Hampshire United Kingdom on Sunday, April 29, 2007

status (set by jneni): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by madmadge from New Milton, Hampshire United Kingdom on Sunday, April 29, 2007

I went into a charity shop yesterday determined not even to look at the books. Why am I so weak? This one caught my eye - the story of Chris Stewart (ex drummer from Genesis) who became a sheep shearer and travel writer. It is billed as "The best 'good life abroad' book in years" on the cover - watch this space!

Journal Entry 2 by madmadge from New Milton, Hampshire United Kingdom on Thursday, May 24, 2007

What a thoroughly enjoyable book. The book that my other half John read from cover to cover for the first time in all his 63 years! I had to read it immediately afterwards and I'm so glad I did. I lived that adventure with Chris Stewart. I could feel the sun, smell the smells, see the characters and I felt like I'd been by his side when he rebuilt a house from the tumbledown wreck on the Andalucian mountain. Absolutely gripping. It's going to little sis Bookcloud first (if she still wants it) and then on to my second bookring.

Order of bookring so far:

1. Bookcloud (UK)
2. maggiemo (Scotland)
3. brunton11 (UK)
4. Collectorkerri (US)
5. NMReader (US)

Journal Entry 3 by Bookcloud from Bournemouth, Dorset United Kingdom on Saturday, May 26, 2007

Just received from Madmadge

Journal Entry 4 by Bookcloud from Bournemouth, Dorset United Kingdom on Saturday, June 09, 2007

Am going to start reading this book today

Journal Entry 5 by Bookcloud from Bournemouth, Dorset United Kingdom on Wednesday, June 13, 2007

I have about 10 pages left of this very entertaining book to go. It made me laugh out loud at times. It is a very easy to read book and I enjoyed every page

Journal Entry 6 by maggiemo on Monday, June 25, 2007

Received this this week. Looking forward to a great read

Journal Entry 7 by maggiemo on Monday, July 02, 2007

I am not really into biographies or travel books but this was great. very funny,his descriptions of the people and the countryside of andalucia were amazing.sending it on soon
Mags

Journal Entry 8 by wingbrunton11wing from Salford, Lancashire United Kingdom on Saturday, July 07, 2007

Received yesterday - It looks like an interesting read!

Journal Entry 9 by wingbrunton11wing from Salford, Lancashire United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 11, 2007

This book was quick and easy to read and I really enjoyed Chris Stewart's style of writing. I'm looking forward to reading 'Parrot in a Pepper Tree'.

Waiting to here from collectorkerri and I'll get this book in the post.

Journal Entry 10 by wingbrunton11wing from Salford, Lancashire United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Posted to collectorkerri today. I've had a few rings to post so I thought I would try surface mail. It will be interesting to see how long it takes!

Journal Entry 11 by collectorkerri from Springfield, Illinois USA on Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Received today. Will read ASAP.

Journal Entry 12 by collectorkerri from Springfield, Illinois USA on Sunday, September 23, 2007

What an enjoyable story. I liked most of the characters and Stewart's gift for describing his surroundings made me feel like I was right there with him, whether it be chasing after his runaway sheep or dealing with his colorful neighbors.

Off to NMReader tomorrow for the last leg of the journey.

Journal Entry 13 by NMReader from Herndon, Virginia USA on Saturday, September 29, 2007

It arrived yesterday. Looking forward to reading, but also got another book to read today. I will start as soon as I finish this book

Journal Entry 14 by NMReader from Herndon, Virginia USA on Thursday, October 04, 2007

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. I LOL at several passages and wondered if there might not be a farm somewhere with my name and then again thought I hoped not after some of the stories.

Thank you for sharing this book with me. I can't wait to read more by Chris Stewart.

Journal Entry 15 by NMReader from Herndon, Virginia USA on Saturday, October 06, 2007

Madmadge said I was free to keep the book and do what I wanted with it. I decided to see if anyone else would like to read it.

The new ring will have the following rules:

1.Please journal the book when you recieve it.
2.Please PM the next person for their address so you have it when you are finished with the book
3.Please read the book within a month and pass it along. (PM me if you will need more then 1 month)
4.Please journal whether you liked the book or not.
5.Please make a release entry and send the book to the next person.

I believe if you can use a computer you are grown up enough to recieve, read, journal and send on the book without me hovering over you. But if there are any issues just PM me.

Here is the order of the ring:

oldreader
kobie03
ajsmom
sarkiegirl
nancynova

new participants will be added to the end of the list.

Journal Entry 16 by NMReader at Post Office in by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, October 11, 2007

Released 7 yrs ago (10/12/2007 UTC) at Post Office in by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Will mail tomorrow

Journal Entry 17 by oldreader from Citrus Heights, California USA on Thursday, October 18, 2007

arrived today,Will start immediately.

Journal Entry 18 by oldreader from Citrus Heights, California USA on Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Just my kind of book.A quick little read filled with enough humor to lift my spirits.Thanks for sharing.There were quite a few interesting characters here.Will get in the mail within a week.

Journal Entry 19 by oldreader at US Post in Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Friday, November 09, 2007

Released 6 yrs ago (10/28/2007 UTC) at US Post in Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

in the mail.

Journal Entry 20 by Caridad from Miami, Florida USA on Saturday, November 10, 2007

Received in the mail today. Thanks for sending it, oldreader! It is in the soon TBR pile.

Journal Entry 21 by Caridad from Miami, Florida USA on Thursday, December 06, 2007

I really enjoyed reading this book about Chris Stewarts move and life style changes in Spain. I thin he is a very good writer. A light memoir, but culturally interssting too. Thanks for sharing, madmadge!

Journal Entry 22 by Caridad from Miami, Florida USA on Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Mailed to nynjagrrrl.

Journal Entry 23 by nynjagrrrl from Elkhorn, Wisconsin USA on Sunday, January 20, 2008

I got this in the mail and have already started reading it. Thanks for sending it!

Journal Entry 24 by nynjagrrrl from Elkhorn, Wisconsin USA on Friday, January 25, 2008

I enjoyed reading this book. It made for nice, light reading. This couple took on quite an adventure when they bought this farm. I sent this book on the the next reader.

Journal Entry 25 by Llednyl from Richwood, Ohio USA on Saturday, January 26, 2008

Got in the mail today - I'm a little backed up on rings right now, but I will get to this as soon as I can.

Journal Entry 26 by Llednyl from Richwood, Ohio USA on Monday, February 18, 2008

I found this to be very enjoyable and easy to read without being fluffy. It's laugh out loud funny at parts but doesn't minimize the hardships of a rural existence in Spain. Though far from easy, the farm life Chris and Ana chose seems much better to me than an office job. But I've always been a country girl, so what can I say? Thanks for sharing - I've got hopi100's address and should be able to get this in the mail tomorrow.

Journal Entry 27 by hopi100 from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Friday, February 22, 2008

This just arrived today! I'll queue it up in my TBR pile and get it moving again straightaway. Thanks! :)

Journal Entry 28 by hopi100 from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Wednesday, March 26, 2008

I'm so sorry for the delay -- I've been sick for the last two weeks (sinus-related, so don't worry, I won't be mailing germs with the book! ;)). At any rate this book should be moving again shortly. Thanks! :) (And I'll PM the organizer now.)

Journal Entry 29 by hopi100 from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Saturday, April 05, 2008

Just a quick note to apologize for the delay in shipping this book -- my illness turned into bronchitis, so I've been down for the count for a little bit. I'll have this in the mail next week to the next reader!

Journal Entry 30 by hopi100 from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Friday, April 11, 2008

What a wonderful book! I thoroughly enjoyed it from beginning to end. I have a soft spot in my heart for travel, stranger-in-a-strange-land literature, and this fit the bill beautifully. Thanks!

I've PM'd Sissyrun for an address, and when I get it I'll send this on ASAP!

ETA: I have Sissyrun's address and will send this out tomorrow! Thanks again for affording me the extra time with this!

Journal Entry 31 by Sissyrun from Modesto, California USA on Saturday, May 10, 2008

Received in the mail and will start soon.
5/22 -Life just got very complicated and I do not have time to read this book.
I have PM'd mssaver to get it moving again.

Journal Entry 32 by Sissyrun at N/A in Mailed via media mail, A Trade -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, May 25, 2008

Released 6 yrs ago (5/23/2008 UTC) at N/A in Mailed via media mail, A Trade -- Controlled Releases

Mailed to mssaver.
Happy trails....

Journal Entry 33 by mssaver from Chicago, Illinois USA on Friday, June 06, 2008

Hooray! It's here! I'll get right onto reading this book as soon as possible.

Journal Entry 34 by mssaver from Chicago, Illinois USA on Wednesday, June 18, 2008

This is an entertaining book. The only thing that annoyed me is that the author occasionally seems to be rather disrespectful of his neighbors. However, he is equally willing to ridicule himself when he does something foolish, and I found myself laughing at those parts too.

Journal Entry 35 by mssaver from Chicago, Illinois USA on Thursday, June 19, 2008

OK, it's on its way to nuttyreader, and I'm already into Parrot in the Pepper Tree so I can send it on--at last--to UnwrittenLibra ASAP!

Journal Entry 36 by nuttyreader from Wichita Falls, Texas USA on Monday, June 23, 2008

This arrived today! I have one to finish prior to looking at this book. It sounds like a good read. Thanks all!

Journal Entry 37 by nuttyreader from Wichita Falls, Texas USA on Thursday, June 26, 2008

I enjoyed this book! Thanks for the chance to read it. I have PMed the next reader and hope to move it on soon.

Journal Entry 38 by nuttyreader from Wichita Falls, Texas USA on Monday, June 30, 2008

I have an address now and will get it wraped and move it on.

Journal Entry 39 by descalza05 from San Diego, California USA on Sunday, July 20, 2008

I got this book in the mail a few days ago while I was away on a trip- what a nice surprise to find it when I returned! Will get started as soon as I can! :) Thanks, Nuttyreader.

Journal Entry 40 by descalza05 from San Diego, California USA on Monday, September 08, 2008

Hi all,

Sorry for the delay- I've just moved to a new house, unpacked the books, and this one is ready to go. I will get the next reader's address today, and send it on its merry way!

Thoroughly enjoyed this book, by the way!

On its way to cafekat! 9/24/08

Journal Entry 41 by cafekat from Rotonda West, Florida USA on Thursday, October 09, 2008

Thanks for including me in this ray. I am finishing my current read and headed for Charleston, SC for the UNConvention today. This will travel with me and I will try to find a little time to read, while I'm away having lots of fun with other bookcrossers!

Journal Entry 42 by cafekat from Rotonda West, Florida USA on Thursday, October 30, 2008

This book was quite enjoyable. I have wanted to 'take off' and try something different at various times in my life and DRIVING OVER LEMONS gave me the 'itch' to do it again. Filled with real life, adventure, hard work and lots of humor.
Thanks for the opportunity to read and I will PM kayjay33 now for an address.

Journal Entry 43 by cafekat at By mail, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Friday, October 31, 2008

Released 5 yrs ago (10/31/2008 UTC) at By mail, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

off to the post office now to get this off to kayjay33.
hope you'll enjoy.

Journal Entry 44 by wingkayjay33wing from Langley, British Columbia Canada on Wednesday, November 12, 2008

My mailbox was stuffed today with this book as well as another one. I will start this one first because it is a bookray, while there is no one waiting for the other one.Thanks for including me.

Journal Entry 45 by wingkayjay33wing from Langley, British Columbia Canada on Saturday, November 15, 2008

A gentle, slow moving story. A couple from England give up everything at home to move to Spain where they live in primitive conditions. They make a living raising sheep, collecting wild flower seeds for sale and shearing sheep for other shepherds in the area.
I will be sending the book on to the next one on the list when I get the address.

Journal Entry 46 by wingkayjay33wing at Langley, British Columbia Canada on Monday, November 17, 2008

Released 5 yrs ago (11/17/2008 UTC) at Langley, British Columbia Canada

The book is on its way to Ireland to the next reader.
Lucky me, it wasn't raining so I was able to walk to the Post Office without getting wet.

Journal Entry 47 by wingKiwiinEnglandwing from Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Monday, January 19, 2009

Safely arrived in Ireland 2 months and 2 days after being posted from Canada.

Thanks for sending it on Kayjay 33, and for the postcard also.

Journal Entry 48 by wingKiwiinEnglandwing from Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Thursday, March 05, 2009

I'm presently reading this book, and will pass on when I've finished it. Thanks to all involved in the ring for keeping this book moving :)

Journal Entry 49 by wingKiwiinEnglandwing from Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Monday, March 09, 2009

A pleasant enough read, about a british family who go and live in Spain.

However the author was very self important (which I suppose is true of anyone who feels the need to write a book about themselves). His attitude to his wife was very irritating; he first went to spain to view potential places and ended up spending all their money on a place he liked but hey - the wife will just have to get used to it and aren't I a terribly witty person. And he got sheep when she didn't want them but hey - the wife will just have to get used to it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
vainilla79 has asked to be skipped, GorgeousGlo has asked to be skipped.
pm'ing chucklesthescot

Journal Entry 50 by wingKiwiinEnglandwing at Manchester, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Thursday, March 12, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (3/14/2009 UTC) at Manchester, Greater Manchester United Kingdom

This is being sent to the next participant in the bookring. Hope they enjoy it.

Journal Entry 51 by wingChucklesthescotwing from Paisley, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 17, 2009

This arrived March 17th for the bookring and I hope to start reading it tonight!

Journal Entry 52 by wingChucklesthescotwing from Paisley, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, March 19, 2009

I don't usually like this sort of travel book but I'm glad I decided to read this. There was good humour, interesting characters and it kept my interest all the way through. I'm looking forward to reading more of his books.I'll be moving this book on to bookguide as soon as I have an address to send it to. Hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 53 by wingChucklesthescotwing at Wijchen, Gelderland Netherlands on Sunday, March 22, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (3/23/2009 UTC) at Wijchen, Gelderland Netherlands

This book is moving on to the next person on the list. Hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 54 by bookguide from Wijchen, Gelderland Netherlands on Friday, March 27, 2009

Arrived safely this morning. Today is a horrible overcast day, and I'd just cycled home in a freezing cold shower of rain verging on sleet, so this lovely sunny yellow book certainly cheered me up. The lemon trees will have to grow a while on my ringbook windowsill, I'm afraid, as I have also had showers of ringbooks recently, and I need to catch up.

Journal Entry 55 by bookguide from Wijchen, Gelderland Netherlands on Friday, May 22, 2009

I enjoyed Chris Stewart's tales of living in Andalucia, especially as I could picture many of the scenes, imagining similar villages which I have visited in Languedoc-Roussillon, in the mountains near the Spanish border. Chris and his wife Ana, although coming from a different country, fitted well into the local community, adopting some of their customs, yet bringing something of their own too. It's a far cry from the condescending attitude of Toujours Provence, where the English couple arrives and does nothing but moan about how slowly the locals work, how they do things, and some of the strange things they eat. The food factor was here, too, but Chris was more than willing to learn from the locals, adapt to their way of doing things, in fact, accept local traditions without labelling them as quaint or old-fashioned. In fact, it totally lacked the "poor me" factor which many travel books contain. Having just read a book about the mountain people of Georgia, it is interesting to see how life is similar, with the men apparently off doing their own thing, and the women bustling around in the background, and the similarities in food: good "strong" food. No sign of the "Mediterranean diet" here!

Journal Entry 56 by bookguide from Wijchen, Gelderland Netherlands on Friday, June 12, 2009

I can't remember why, but I wrote a note to myself to contact Jneni after May 24th, and I've only just got to it again. I will await her address.

Journal Entry 57 by bookguide at Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (7/28/2009 UTC) at Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Posted to Jneni this weekend. I apologise for the delay.

This book has been released as part of the following BookCrossing challenges:
- Reduce Mount TBR (To Be Read) - read and release books on the TBR list since before Jan. 2009. My reading goal is 46 books.
- The Ultimate Challenge - read and release books, with extra points for a monthly theme
- Pages Read Challenge - read a self-set target number of pages in 2009. My goal is 25000.

Journal Entry 58 by jneni on Friday, August 21, 2009

I thought I JE this but apparently I didn't. I have several in front of this, so I will try to get to this asap. Thank you for including me as I've been wanting to read this for ages!