corner corner The Namesake: A Novel

The Namesake: A Novel
by Jhumpa Lahiri | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Thursday5 of Columbus, Ohio USA on 4/28/2007

status (set by Thursday5): permanent collection

Journal Entry 1 by Thursday5 from Columbus, Ohio USA on Saturday, April 28, 2007

Written by Pulitzer Prize winning Juhmpa Lahiri, this is the story of a family who, on the heels of an arranged marriage, moves from Calcutta to Cambridge, Massachusettes in the US. It is the story not only of the first generation, but also of how the the identity the first generation tries to bestow on the next generation plays out in the life of their son Gogol.

Having an international family with MIT ties myself, parts of this book hit very close to home. This book offers a good forum for thinking about immigration issues such as: what should be the balance between a personal identifty and family identity, what is lost and what is gained in a cross cultural move, and what right does a parent have to impose their identity on a child. I cried and cried when the American born children did not want to go to India to visit their Grandparents.

I went to see the movie and it was excellent. I highly recommend it.

PS
If you have not read Interpreter of Maladies, for which Jhumpa Lahiri got the Pulitzer Prize, you should. It is a beautiful collection of short stories.

Journal Entry 2 by Thursday5 from Columbus, Ohio USA on Saturday, April 28, 2007

I was originally going to just keep this in my permenant collection, but after a suggestion on the forum that I start a bookring I decided that it was too good to not share. Hopefully with only 3 people in the bookring it will come home safe and sound after it's journeys :->

Bookring order:
nynjagrrrl-Wisc., US <-----Book is here
LadyKnightNiko-US-OH
Back to Thursday5-Ohio, US

Bookring guidelines:
•Try not to keep the book more than a month.
•When you are almost finished reading the book, PM the next Bookcrosser in the bookring asking for their address.
•If you find that life is too busy to read the book when you get the PM, please ask to be skipped. (I would be glad to share it with you another time.)

Journal Entry 3 by Agrace from Frisco, Texas USA on Tuesday, May 08, 2007

How fun to come home from a busy day and have this waiting for me! Too bad my family expected me to make dinner for them tonight!

Journal Entry 4 by Agrace from Frisco, Texas USA on Saturday, June 02, 2007

I really enjoyed this book; thanks for creating the ring! I was surprised that the connection between Gogol,the Taj Mahal and Moushumi wasn't in the book as I thought it added a lot to the movie.

Journal Entry 5 by ealasaidmae from New Orleans, Louisiana USA on Thursday, June 07, 2007

Arrived today! I have one ahead of it, then I'll get right to it.

Journal Entry 6 by ealasaidmae from New Orleans, Louisiana USA on Thursday, June 14, 2007

A richly detailed book. Jhumpa Lahiri has such a talent for writing about everyday things that happen to ordinary people. I want to know what Gogol's going to do next! Next for me, is re-reading "The Overcoat."

Journal Entry 7 by pashmack from Lake Worth, Florida USA on Friday, June 22, 2007

The book was delivered today after being held at the post office for a bit while we were on vacation. Ealasaidmae, we just drove through WV earlier in the week. I guess we were following the book :-)
Thanks, Thursday5 for sharing. I'll get started as soon as I finish my current read.

Journal Entry 8 by pashmack from Lake Worth, Florida USA on Friday, July 20, 2007

I really loved this book. This is the kind of book that I ordinarily would have finished very quickly, but I 've been so busy this month that I've been unable to read as often as I'd like. But, spreading the read out over time seems to have caused me to become even more involved with the story, missing the characters when I was unable to read, and longing to get back to them. I thought it was beautifully written, very engaging, and extremely poignant at times (a lump comes to my throat just thinking of one passage....) I look forward to reading Interpreter of Maladies.

I'll be sending this off to jessibud in tomorrow's mail. Thanks, Thursday5, for sharing this lovely book.

Journal Entry 9 by jessibud from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Thursday, August 02, 2007

I just got back last night from a few days away visiting out-of-town friends. This book was waiting for me so I am not sure exactly when it arrived. I am nearly finished my current book and expect I will begin this one by the weekend.

I am really looking forward to it, especially after reading everyone''s journal notes so far. It had been on my wishlist (to read) for some time. I'm glad I decided to wait before seeing the movie.

Journal Entry 10 by jessibud from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Sunday, August 26, 2007

Just finished this book now and it feels like I'm coming up for air! This book was a bit odd for me, in that, at times, I felt it moved too slowly, yet all the while knowing that the pace was exactly right.

I think Lahiri did an excellent job of moving back and forth between the backstories and the current lives of the various characters and it is a rare priviledge to be able, as a reader, to be *inside* the heads of several different characters, to the extent that we were. It allows for another whole dimension of *perspective*, and, for me anyhow, that adds layers and layers of richness and depth to the story.

I can't help but wonder how this story will come across in film. What parts will, of necessity, be left out, how the inner narratives will be portrayed. I am happy that I waited to see the filml until I had finished reading the book but I just hope I won't be disappointed in the movie version.

And of course, now I want to read *The Overcoat* by the first Gogol!

This book will be in the mail to nynjagrrrl tomorrow.

Thanks, Thursday5, for the opportunity to read this!

Journal Entry 11 by nynjagrrrl from Elkhorn, Wisconsin USA on Tuesday, September 11, 2007

I got this book over a week ago but haven't had internet access. I also enjoyed this book. It was interesting to read about culture different from my own. It gave insight into what it is like to move from another country and live in the US. I will send this book on soon.

Journal Entry 12 by LadyKnightNiko from Liberty Township, Ohio USA on Friday, October 05, 2007

This arrived this morning- will read and pass on as soon as I finish the ring ahead of it!

Journal Entry 13 by LadyKnightNiko from Liberty Township, Ohio USA on Tuesday, October 09, 2007

One of the better books I have read lately! Thank you so much for sharing this great read!

Journal Entry 14 by LadyKnightNiko at by mail in To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, October 09, 2007

On it's way back home!

Journal Entry 15 by LadyKnightNiko at by mail in To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Released 10 yrs ago (10/9/2007 UTC) at by mail in To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

On it's way back home!

Journal Entry 16 by Thursday5 from Columbus, Ohio USA on Saturday, October 13, 2007

This book arrived back home today. I'm glad everyone enjoyed it. It will become part of my permanent collection.
(Of course, books in our permenant collection are always available for family and friends to borrow.)