corner corner Silk

Silk
by Alessandro Baricco | Literature & Fiction
Registered by cat207 of Gladstone, Queensland Australia on 4/21/2007

status (set by lostbookisland): reserved

Journal Entry 1 by cat207 from Gladstone, Queensland Australia on Saturday, April 21, 2007

'In 1861 French silkworm merchant Herve Joncour travels to Japan. He strikes a business deal with a local baron there and is utterly bewitched by the man's concubine, a girl who does not have oriental eyes. Subtle, tender and surprising, "Silk" is an entrancing tale of erotic possession and the lasting power of love.'

From Jane via Freecycle, with thanks.

Journal Entry 2 by cat207 from Gladstone, Queensland Australia on Saturday, July 07, 2007

A powerful evocative little story. I love the cover - my favourite colours. And that 'sex scene' with nary a touch!

Journal Entry 3 by cat207 from Gladstone, Queensland Australia on Sunday, July 08, 2007

As this is on the "1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die" list, I'm sending it travelling on a BookRing.

The participants (in order):-

jubby - NSW Aus
beaulivre - NSW Aus
livrecache - VIC Aus
frangipani08 - QLD Aus
freelunch - QLD Aus
amberc - NT Aus
crimson-tide - WA Aus

Ollie1976 - New York USA - lost here and replacement book sent in lieu.
indygo88 - Indiana USA

Tubereader - UK

sota48 - NORWAY
lilifin - GERMANY

nikkilovesbooks - NT Aus

No special rules or conditions - just manners!

Journal Entry 4 by cat207 from Gladstone, Queensland Australia on Sunday, July 08, 2007

In tomorrow's mail to jubby to start the ring. Enjoy. X

Journal Entry 5 by jubby from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Well, would you look at what arrived in the post today. The postal pixies must be working overtime to get it here so quickly!

And what a beautiful cover.

I think I might start this book this evening, it does look hard to resist.
Thank you for sharing this book with me Cat207 (not to be confused with Catsalive!).

Journal Entry 6 by jubby from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Wouldn't it be good if all the '1001 books to read before you die' where this short and easy to read?

I did enjoy reading it, but not so sure it ought to be on the above list though.

And poor old Herve. He had it all, but of course, could not resist the charms of Hari Kei's mistress. Naughty, naughty!

A good, light read.

Journal Entry 7 by jubby at Bookring in Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Released 10 yrs ago (7/11/2007 UTC) at Bookring in Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

You know, the best thing about this bookring wasn't the book, but the people!

I met two new bookcrossers (well, new to me): Cat207 and Beaulivre. I look forward to 'meeting' you again ladies.

Journal Entry 8 by beaulivre from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, July 17, 2007

This arrived in the post yesterday (and brightened my day immeasurably after negotiating unfamiliar Sydney roads to and from my new job) and I'm really looking forward to reading it but have to wait until the weekend! I, too, am admiring the cover, which is stunning.

Thank you for passing it on, Jubby, and thank you for organising the ring, Cat207!

Journal Entry 9 by beaulivre from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, July 28, 2007

A beautiful, quick read. Some lovely sensual descriptions and a moving story.

I like the way the narrative is cyclical in structure and reflects the life cycle of the silk worms and how Herve's destiny is tied to them.

Journal Entry 10 by beaulivre at BookRing in Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, July 28, 2007

Released 10 yrs ago (7/30/2007 UTC) at BookRing in Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Off to livrecache on Monday, the next on the list for this bookring.

Journal Entry 11 by livrecache from Hobart, Tasmania Australia on Wednesday, August 01, 2007

I'm looking forward to reading this. I have one, two, many rings in front of it, but I'm doing my best to keep up.

Journal Entry 12 by livrecache from Hobart, Tasmania Australia on Friday, August 10, 2007

What a sensual book, from its cover to its narrative. And deceptively easy to read. I found each journey he takes to Japan, where the lake is called by a different name on each trip to be significant of the changing relationship. I missed that the story echoed that of the silk worm's life cycle. In fact, I'm sure I missed a whole heap of symbolism, but it was so beautifully written that I found myself reading without stopping. I wonder what it's like in the original Italian. The translation seeems to be ever so sensitive.

Thanks for sharing cat207. I have frangipani08's address so I shall send it on to her on Monday.

Journal Entry 13 by livrecache at By post in Melbourne, a controlled release -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Released 10 yrs ago (8/15/2007 UTC) at By post in Melbourne, a controlled release -- Controlled Releases

Continuing the journey of the ring.

Journal Entry 14 by frangipani08 from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Lovely surprise to find this book this morning - my dearest children did not tell me I had mail yesterday!! Thanks also for the bookmarks.The one from Langkawi reminded me of when I stayed at Tanjung Sanctuary when I went to Langkawi.

Journal Entry 15 by frangipani08 from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Friday, September 07, 2007

I'm not sure what to make of this book! There are some beautiful descriptive passages but what I am left with is the story of a futile life spent pining for something forbidden and out of reach. The message for me was to enjoy what we have rather than lusting for the impossible. I am however glad to have read this book - I really liked the rhythmic description of his journey. Will have it in the mail shortly as I have freelunch's address

Journal Entry 16 by frangipani08 from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Friday, September 07, 2007

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Bagged up with an extra book ready to go tomorrow to freelunch.

Journal Entry 17 by freelunch from Cairns, Queensland Australia on Tuesday, September 11, 2007

received today, thanks frangipani08 (and thanks too to cat207 for organizing this 'ring) :o)

I have a whole bunch of books I have to read for various people at the moment, but this one isn't huge so I imagine it'll get bumped up the list a little.

Journal Entry 18 by freelunch from Cairns, Queensland Australia on Thursday, September 27, 2007

I don't think I'm clever enough to 'get' this book.

it was a quick read, but its tale of unrealised yearning didn't really do it for me.

I shall send it on to amberC tomorrow.

Journal Entry 19 by wingamberCwing from Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Thursday, October 04, 2007

Arrived today. I have another ring before it.

Journal Entry 20 by wingamberCwing from Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Friday, October 12, 2007

I loved the way this book was written, the rhythms of the language and of the story.

Posting to crimson-tide when I have an address.

Journal Entry 21 by wingcrimson-tidewing from Balingup, Western Australia Australia on Thursday, October 18, 2007

Safe arrival today. Shouldn't be too long before it hits the top spot I hope.
Thanks guys.

Journal Entry 22 by wingcrimson-tidewing from Balingup, Western Australia Australia on Friday, October 26, 2007

With its lyrical style this is certainly a very easy and beautiful book to read. I finished it a few days ago and it has lingered in the back of my mind with a faintly disturbing element that I can't quite pin down.
I don't understand it all either, but then I don't think we're really meant to. My over-riding thought at the end was that Herve was very fortunate to have Helene.

Next off across the globe to Ollie1976.

Journal Entry 23 by Ollie1976 from Hillsboro, Oregon USA on Saturday, November 24, 2007

Received and will be reading it next

Journal Entry 24 by Ollie1976 from Hillsboro, Oregon USA on Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Finally finished reading it-so sorry that I've had it this long. I really enjoyed it. I'll be pming the next person.

Journal Entry 25 by cat207 from Gladstone, Queensland Australia on Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Could we have an update on the book's progress, please. I have tried a PM but got no reply - they don't always seem to get through. I hope everything's OK.

Journal Entry 26 by lostbookisland on Monday, September 29, 2008

This book has washed ashore at the Lost Book Island after not being heard from for many months. This new arrival will be shown to a room and be allowed a bit of rest before being introduced to the many fun things to do here at the island.

All around there are books sipping cool drinks under shady palms while other books participate in a wide variety of beach sports. There is plenty of sand, surf and sun here for all of the lost and wayward books to enjoy.

It is hoped that very soon a new journal entry will come to rescue this book from the island and send it back out into the BookCrossing world so that it may continue on its journey. It is hoped that the new journal entry will tell all the interested parties where this book has been this long time and where it will be traveling to next.