corner corner Kidnapped In Yemen (Different Cover)

Kidnapped In Yemen (Different Cover)
by Mary Quin | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by celeritas2 on 4/15/2007

status (set by wendyv): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by celeritas2 on Sunday, April 15, 2007

Interesting tale of a New Zealand woman's capture by terrorists in Yemen. Fascinating to read about people who have become famous recently such as Abu Hamza, the British Imam who preached murder of non-Muslims and currently serving a seven-year prison sentence for soliciting murder and inciting racial hatred.

The book details her holiday in Yemen, her experiences being captured, dealing with the emotions of the experience, investigating the terrorists and her life changes as a result of her capture.

I enjoyed the book but please remember that this is only one side of the Muslim world and Mary Quin herself comments in the book how much she enjoyed her time in Yemen that was not affected by terrorism.

Journal Entry 2 by celeritas2 on Sunday, April 15, 2007

Rules for the Bookring :

1) Please journal the book when you receive it, to let us know it arrived safe.
2) Try to read and send the book within a month. However, if when you receive the book you realise you'll need more time, that's fine, just let me know by PM or Journal Entry.
3) PM the next person on the list to obtain their address (you might want to do this when you're half-way through the book, as some have problems receiving PMs and are a bit difficult to get in touch with).
4) If there are any problems, you have questions, you want to be skipped or removed from the list, or the order of the list doesn't suit you, please contact me. I'll do my best to accommodate everyone.

Forum link is:

List of participants (subject to changes if new participants sign on):
Fuzzywuzzy
Sherlockfan
Discoverylover
keeta1
annenz
priceliss
Back to me to send overseas

Journal Entry 3 by celeritas2 on Tuesday, May 01, 2007

My first bookring is off to Fuzzywuzzy today. Happy reading everyone.

Journal Entry 4 by Fuzzywuzzy on Friday, August 10, 2007

"Ultimately, our lives are about what we do with the time we have." Mary Quin.
This is not so much a detailed documention of a chaotic kidnapping but rather an exploration of the issues that led upto it and the impact of the aftermath on the author''s life.
Quin is drawn to seeking an understanding of events and motives, most of which are satisfactorily resolved by the end of the book.
This book has given me an understanding of the non-Muslim world and an insight into the Arab terrorist mindset.

Journal Entry 5 by Fuzzywuzzy on Monday, August 20, 2007

Posted on to Sherlockfan. I'm interested to hear what others have to say about this book and continue the debate. Happy reading and thanks to Celeritas2 for this bookring.

Journal Entry 6 by Sherlockfan from Upper Hutt, Wellington Province New Zealand on Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Can't be sure when this book actually arrived in NZ because I've been out of the country. Arrived back to find 5 books being cared for by a good friend who cleared our Post OFfice box during our absence. Luckily I'm not too busy just now so should be able to clear them fairly soon.

When I joined this bookring I'd not realised that the writer was actually born in Palmerston North where we have lived for 20 off years.

I'll pass it on to DiscoveryLover at the next Wellington BC meet-up - that will give me an incentive to read it quickly.
Thanks celeritas2 for starting this ring.

Journal Entry 7 by Sherlockfan from Upper Hutt, Wellington Province New Zealand on Friday, September 07, 2007

I've lately formed the habit of reading others' JE's before I write mine so not to write what might be seen as boring repeats. I really empathise and agree with Fuzzywuzzy's comments.
I always enjoy books that inform me about geography or history that is totally unfamiliar to me and this book certainly does that. I was sorry not to have an atlas handy while I was reading (ours are in storage at present) and found the printing in the book's maps far too small for aging eyes, especially in bed.
Mary manages not to let her horrible experience take away from the beauty of Yemen, nor the good that she found in many of the people.
One must admire her dedication to researching thoroughly the whys and wherefores of her kidnapping - she is a remarkable woman. I'd like to know where she is now and what she is doing.
Must say that the inclusion of her early relationship with and devotion to Waitarere Beach provides such an interesting contrast to the exotic nature of ther rest of her life. It is such a tiny unknown place apart from those who do know and love it.
I'm taking this to DiscoveryLover at our meet-up on Tuesday.

Journal Entry 8 by wingdiscoveryloverwing from Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Thursday, September 13, 2007

Got it from Sherlockfan on Tuesday at the meet up. I might read it in a month, but possibly not. At the moment its second on the bookring list, but unfortunately with 4 essays and a take home test to write in the next 3 weeks, as well as all the books I am supposed to read before going to Melbourne it will be at least 3 weeks till I get to it at a guess. Will do my best though!!!

Journal Entry 9 by wingdiscoveryloverwing from Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Monday, November 12, 2007

I really enjoyed aspects of this book. The parts I enjoyed the most were the parts about her life during and after the kidnapping, but I had trouble getting into the reasons behind the kidnapping. Probably not helped by the fact that I couldn't remember half the peoples names!

I'm currently on holiday in the middle of nowhere (ie no postal service really), so will pmail the next person when I get back to Wellington at the end of the week.

Journal Entry 10 by wingdiscoveryloverwing from Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Eeek, have been really slack with this book, so apologies for holding the ring up. I have sent the book on to Keeta1 today, and it should arrive in the next couple of days.

Journal Entry 11 by wingkeeta1wing from Howick, Auckland Province New Zealand on Friday, February 15, 2008

Thanks, discoverylover, the book arrived today.
Will try and read as soon as possible, before passing on to next person.

Journal Entry 12 by wingkeeta1wing from Howick, Auckland Province New Zealand on Friday, February 22, 2008

An enjoyable book, made more so by the NZ connection.
Mary Quin sounds as if she is a very brave person and certainly managed to keep her head in what must have been a dreadful situation.
Hopefully she and Ray are still together and leading a reasonably peaceful life somewhere in the world, although I'm not altogether sure that "peaceful" is something that she would be wanting. Definitely a bit of an adventuress!
To be passed on to annenz.

Journal Entry 13 by wingkeeta1wing from Howick, Auckland Province New Zealand on Sunday, February 24, 2008

Sending on to annenz today.
Thanks for the bookring celeritas2.

Journal Entry 14 by annenz from Greymouth, West Coast New Zealand on Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Just received this in the mail today, thanks. Will start reading this on the weekend:)

Journal Entry 15 by annenz from Greymouth, West Coast New Zealand on Sunday, March 30, 2008

I found this book to be a very interesting and I thoroughly enjoyed the book and read it within 3-4 days!!
Hope evryone else enjoys reading it too:)

Journal Entry 16 by celeritas2 on Wednesday, April 02, 2008

WELCOME TO THE KIDNAPPED IN YEMEN INTERNATIONAL BOOK RING

This ring is not yet underway

Members are as follows - member in bold currently has possession of the book: (If you wish to join, please PM me and I will add you!)

MEMBER / LOCATION:

celeritas2 / Wellington, New Zealand
Icila / Nantes, France
Annimanni / Helsinki, Finland <=== Book is here!
Afraberg / Amsterdam, Netherlands

This is how it works:
- If you wish to be added to the list, please PM me with your details.
- Note that you must be prepared to mail internationally.
- You will be sending the book to the person who appears after you in the list, so you need to PM them to get their address
- It's not a race, but please read and send the book on as speedily as you can, other people are dying to read it too.
- Please journal the book once you have received it (so we all know where it currently is) and again when you have read it (so we know what you thought of it!)
- If you're the last person on the list (i.e. we run out of members) the book comes back to me until there are more interested parties...

_______________________________________

BOOK DESCRIPTION: 'What did you think were the chances of being kidnapped'
In the darkness of the Yemen desert New Zealander Mary Quin whispered the question to an Australia fellow hostage.
'About one in a million,' he replied.

After Xerox executive Mary Quin survived a kidnapping by Islamic extremists in Yemen, she sought to uncover the truth about her abductors and their motives, and documented the process in her groundbreaking book, Kidnapped in Yemen. At the moment when Quin ripped an AK-47 from the hands of a wounded kidnapper and made her escape in the Yemen desert, she knew her life could never be the same. She and 15 fellow tourists had been used as human shields in a terrifying gun battle between the Aden-Abyan Islamic Army and Yemeni troops.

Journal Entry 17 by wingIcilawing from Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Monday, February 22, 2010

Back from the Alpes the book was waiting form me in my neighbours' house. Thanks. I love the Yemen and the yemeni so I look forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 18 by wingIcilawing from Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Wednesday, February 24, 2010

I'm a bit disappointed, I expected more yemeni life and less about the author's one.

PMing Annimanni.

Journal Entry 19 by wingAnnimanniwing from Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, March 01, 2010

The book is now in Finland, thanks! I have a couple of other books to finish first but should get to this one later this week.

Journal Entry 20 by wingAnnimanniwing from Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, March 27, 2010

I'm at two minds about this book. I really enjoyed the first part where Quin wrote about the trip and the kidnapping - and Yemen, too - but thought that she went into too much detail with her forays into the history behind the event and I didn't understand at all why she chose to include the chapters about learning to use a gun and taking part in her first hunting trip in this book (I have to admit I skipped those altogether!). All in all though, I'm glad I read the book - thanks for including me in the ring!

Now I'm just waiting for instructions on where to send the book next. (I might be able to find new readers for it in our bookcrossing meetups here in the Helsinki area!)

Journal Entry 21 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, March 29, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (3/29/2010 UTC) at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

On its way to Australia. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 22 by wendyv from Blind Bight, Victoria Australia on Monday, April 12, 2010

TBR - this arrived today...was very excited to see the book package in the letter box :) Also loved the postcard, thanks Annimanni. It's chilly in Victoria at the moment but not quite snow chilly! Am looking forward to reading it. :)

Journal Entry 23 by wendyv from Blind Bight, Victoria Australia on Thursday, April 15, 2010

I found this book interesting...very different from what i would normally read, I normally do not go for non fiction so I have really branched out! Thank you for sedning the book on. I need to find somewhere for it now? Not sure, I will PM celeritis and find out where to from here. I found the first half of the novel most interesting, I do hope Mary has found the closure she was in search of.
Thank you for including me.

Journal Entry 24 by wendyv at Blind Bight, Victoria Australia on Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (4/23/2010 UTC) at Blind Bight, Victoria Australia

I am sending this to Celeritas2 at the address listed on rabck....I hope this is okay! Thank you for inclusing me in the ring.