corner corner Roald Dahl's Revolting Rhymes

Roald Dahl's Revolting Rhymes
by Roald Dahl | Children's Books
Registered by chich of Sant Antoni de Portmany, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain on 4/13/2007

status (set by elidanora): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by chich from Sant Antoni de Portmany, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain on Friday, April 13, 2007

A very creative, often hilarious re-writing of six traditional children tales:) This short book is clever, wicked and original, a real gem! It's hard to choose a favorite tale but I think the ones I enjoyed most were Snow White, Little Red Riding Hood & The Three Little Pigs...Tales with a bite!

Here's the list of tales featured in this book:
1. Cinderella
2. Jack & the Beanstalk
3. Snow White & the seven dwarfs
4. Goldilocks & the three bears
5. Little Red Riding Hood & the Wolf
6. The Three Little Pigs

For more Roald Dahl fun, make sure you visit his website, you won't regret it!

Synopsis:
A collection of comic and often gory versions of popular fairy tales. Meet Cinderella, a young woman who wants to marry a nice ordinary man; and Goldilocks, that house-breaker who gobbles up your porridge and then breaks up the Chippendale.

Journal Entry 2 by chich from Sant Antoni de Portmany, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain on Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Starting a BookRay, PM me if you want to join!

Mailing order for this ray:
1) cherylllr, US (Nevada), US shipping
2) NMReader, US (New Mexico), US shipping
3) CongestedChi, US (Texas), US shipping
4) BunnyLady, US (Wisconsin), US shipping
5) Cyberkedi, US (Georgia), can ship anywhere
6) dolph1n and her granchildren, Scoobydooo & Horseryder - UK, UK shipping.
7) clairemagnolia, UK, can ship anywhere.
8) lilifin, UK then Germany, Euro shipping.
9) nikolacarter23, UK, UK shipping. --> has disabled private messaging.
10) CaterinaAnna, UK, UK shipping.
11) angellica, UK, can ship anywhere.
12) christina82, Denmark, can ship anywhere.
13) jsmeltser, US, North America shipping preferred but int'l ok.
14) HeresDeb, US (IL), US/Canada shipping.
15) sunfi, US (OH), US shipping.
16) mellion108, US, can ship anywhere.
17) prachitulshan, India, can ship anywhere.
18) CanPou, Spain.
[Back to me]
19) Fremmedordbok, Norway, EU shipping preferred but int'l ok.
20) Oedde, Germany, EU shipping preferred but int'l ok.
21) Tsjara, The Netherlands, EU shipping preferred but int'l ok.
22) hakkalina, Hungary, EU shipping.

23) elidanora, Argentina, can ship anywhere. **current location**

...you?

---------------------------------------
BookRay Recommendations:
• make a journal entry when you receive the book so everyone knows it has safely arrived
• try to read it within a month
• ask the next on the list for his/her address

• make a journal entry when finished, telling us what you thought - did you like it? Did you think it was well-written?
• wrap it up well and pass it on to the next participant

Please PM me in case of any problems/unforseen delay. If you are experiencing an RBC (Reading Backlog Crisis) or no longer wish to read the book, let me know and I will move/remove you down/off the list.

Hint: Ask for the address of the next on the list before you have finished reading; sometimes it takes a while before you get a reply. Some people don't get PM's. You may want to look for an e-mail address on their profile, or leave an ISO message on the forum. If the person doesn't respond within 7-10 days (use your judgement), please PM the next person, and then me, so I can update the bookring list.

**Cheapest postage rate is fine**

Happy reading everyone!

Journal Entry 3 by chich from Sant Antoni de Portmany, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain on Monday, June 25, 2007

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Here we go!

Book sent to cherylllr today, enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by cherylllr from Rolla, Missouri USA on Friday, June 29, 2007

arrived already today! Should be a quick read, but there are several people here who will probably want to read it. I'll keep it moving and mail it promptly, though.

Journal Entry 5 by cherylllr from Rolla, Missouri USA on Monday, July 02, 2007

cute, but not quite as clever/ original as I hoped

Journal Entry 6 by NMReader from Herndon, Virginia USA on Friday, July 06, 2007

It has arrived. I am doing a little happy dance. I received lots of BC mail today.

I will read this as soon as possible.

Journal Entry 7 by NMReader from Herndon, Virginia USA on Friday, July 06, 2007

Oh my I did enjoy this. I finished the Sweet Potato Queens' Field Guide to Men and then picked this up. Before I knew it I was laughing and looking at the picture of Little Red Riding Hood at the end of the book.

I will mail to CongestedChi as soon as she sends her address.

Journal Entry 8 by NMReader at Post Office in by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Friday, July 06, 2007

Released 11 yrs ago (7/7/2007 UTC) at Post Office in by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

I will drop this at the PO with a few other BC rings/rays and RABCKs.

Enjoy and thank you chich

Journal Entry 9 by CongestedChi from Longview, Texas USA on Tuesday, July 10, 2007

This was in the mail this afternoon- we will start reading it tonight.
Thank you, Chich, for starting this ray :)

This is a very interesting book...
Goldilocks is a pretty funny one.

Journal Entry 10 by CongestedChi from Longview, Texas USA on Friday, July 13, 2007

It should be leaving Longview in the morning headed for BunnyLady's house :)

Journal Entry 11 by BunnyLady from Fond Du Lac, Wisconsin USA on Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Arrived safe and sound the day before yesterday. I have already PM'd the next person and will update when I send. Should be a quick read.

ETA: This I believe, was mailed 8/10/07 to the next participant.

A quick, witty, fun read.

Journal Entry 12 by Cyberkedi from Atlanta, Georgia USA on Thursday, November 29, 2007

Received as part of a book ray. I actually got it some time ago, but it got buried while I was rearranging stuff in my room.

Journal Entry 13 by Cyberkedi from Atlanta, Georgia USA on Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Roald Dahl puts a delightfully perverted twist on six classic fairy tales. The poems are fun to read and reflect Dahl's unique and somewhat dark - but still child-friendly - humor. I particularly liked his take on "Goldilocks and the Three Bears" in which the titular girl is regarded as a criminal instead of an innocent lass.

Journal Entry 14 by Cyberkedi at Sent in the mail in Atlanta, Georgia -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (1/23/2008 UTC) at Sent in the mail in Atlanta, Georgia -- Controlled Releases

Mailed to continue the book ray.

Journal Entry 15 by dolph1n from Chester, Cheshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Arrived today, safe and sound. Thanks

Journal Entry 16 by dolph1n from Chester, Cheshire United Kingdom on Sunday, March 23, 2008

I must apologise for keeping this book so long, it got mixed up with our "keeping" books. I loved it especially 'Red Riding Hood' and 'The Three Little Pigs'. Scoobydooo liked 'The Three Little Pigs' most and Horseryder loved 'Cinderella'. Thanks for sharing, I will send it on as soon as I have an address.

Journal Entry 17 by clairemagnolia from Blackpool, Lancashire United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Arrived this morning, thankyou! Looks like great fun!

Journal Entry 18 by Caterinaanna from Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on Friday, June 20, 2008

Arrived safely: thank you clairemagnolia, chich and everyone else so far. Resisiting the temptation to dive in straight away - I will finish my current book first!

Journal Entry 19 by Caterinaanna from Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on Thursday, July 24, 2008

The book that was current when it arrived is long since finished, and I've read this one alone and to one of my nieces when I got conned into babysitting. She did, of course, tell me off for saying 'knickers' every time RRH got out her pistol ...

Will be sad to see it go, must get a PC copy so I can add one or two to my repertoire of doggerel to recite!

Have sent angellica a PM, so it should be on its way soon.

Journal Entry 20 by Caterinaanna at Worksop, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Monday, August 18, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (8/18/2008 UTC) at Worksop, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom

Finally in the post this afternoon, sorry for keeping it so long: but it was such fun.

Journal Entry 21 by angellica from Worksop, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Arrived safely! Looks like fun. Will read it shortly and get it in the post asap

Journal Entry 22 by christina82 from Stege, Storstrøms Amt Denmark on Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Got this in the mail two days ago. Already read it several times - I absolute love Roald Dahl. Thank you so much for sharing chich. I will pm the next person today...

Journal Entry 23 by jsmeltser from Fort Madison, Iowa USA on Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Sorry it took me so long to journal this, but it arrived just before Christmas and we have just now put our home back in order. Thanks for the bookmarks, christina82. Its always nice to find a little surprise in a book.

I feel terrible, but my daughter was reading this to my wife and left it on the coffee table. My puppy chewed about a 1/2 inch square out of the lower-left corner of the book. It's certainly still readable, as it didn't affect the text or any illustrations, so I'm PMing the next reader now. I am however looking for a replacement, I would certainly be pissed if it were mine.

Will read today or tomorrow and get it back on its way as soon as I receive an address.

Journal Entry 24 by HeresDeb from Grayslake, Illinois USA on Friday, January 30, 2009

The book is here! It looks pretty cute. I'm looking forward to reading it and sharing it with my kids.

Journal Entry 25 by HeresDeb at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (3/3/2009 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Whew! I'm glad I read it myself before trying to share it with my kids. This is not a kids' book! It at least would have given mine nightmares. It's Roald Dahls sometimes off-beat humor taken to a whole new level. I liked the book just fine, just wanted to warn others not to use it as a bedtime story for young'uns.

This book is now on its way to Ohio! Thanks for sharing it :-)

Journal Entry 26 by sunfi from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Thursday, March 05, 2009

Just received today. I have 10 other rings/rays ahead of this one but since it's small passing it on within a month won't be difficult. Thanks to chich for including me and heredeb for mailing it to me.

Journal Entry 27 by sunfi from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Sunday, April 05, 2009

What a creative book, I've enjoyed it. I'll have it one its way by the end of the week. Thanks for including me in this one chich.

Journal Entry 28 by sunfi at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, Ohio USA on Monday, April 06, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (4/6/2009 UTC) at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, Ohio USA

It's on its way, it should be arrive in the next couple of weeks.

Journal Entry 29 by mellion108 from Bloomfield Hills, Michigan USA on Friday, April 10, 2009

Thanks for sending this my way, sunfi, and thanks to chich for sharing yet another gem of a book. :) This is here, and I should be able to finish it quickly and have it on its way. I have PMd prachitulshan for her address and hope to ship this soon.

Thank you!

Oversized paperback, 47 pages, illustrated by Quentin Blake

Journal Entry 30 by mellion108 from Bloomfield Hills, Michigan USA on Saturday, April 11, 2009

I must add my "loved it" to the glowing journal entries here. Clever and fun! I love all these re-worked fairy tales, but I especially love Cinderella—it's good to see that she got her head in the right place after all. :) These would be perfect to memorize and perform for some kids (I might get some raised eyebrows from the adults for using the word "slut," but...).

Thanks again for sharing this lovely book, chich. I have prachitulshan's address, and the book is packaged and ready to be mailed.

Journal Entry 31 by prachitulshan from Kolkata, West Bengal India on Monday, April 27, 2009

This is one book i read up as soon as i got!!! My friend was next, and it brought back childhood memories for her. Thank you so much for the really neat package, the book labels, plates and book on scotland! I shall be passin this to the next reader soon! Cheerio!

Journal Entry 32 by wingCanPouwing from Sant Antoni de Portmany, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain on Monday, September 14, 2009

Arrived today. Thank you!I love the front cover!

Journal Entry 33 by prachitulshan at Sant Antoni de Portmany, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain on Friday, October 30, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (9/4/2009 UTC) at Sant Antoni de Portmany, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain

Sent off to canpou finally. sorry for the delay, both in sending and in posting this JE!

Journal Entry 34 by chich from Sant Antoni de Portmany, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain on Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Book received today, thanks CanPou;o) I will send it to Fremmedordbok as soon as I have an address.

Journal Entry 35 by chich from Sant Antoni de Portmany, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain on Thursday, November 05, 2009

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Book sent to Fremmedordbok today, enjoy!

Journal Entry 36 by Fremmedordbok from Bergen, Hordaland fylke Norway on Saturday, November 07, 2009

The book arrived safely in Norway today! Thank you for including me in the ray, chich - I'm looking forward to this short and probably funny read :D

Journal Entry 37 by Fremmedordbok from Bergen, Hordaland fylke Norway on Monday, November 09, 2009

I've read the book a couple of times through the weekend, and it's simply lovely! The stories got better the second time I thought, and I got a whole new dimension to these childrens stories!

Travelling on to Oedde in Germany tomorrow!

Journal Entry 38 by Fremmedordbok at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, November 09, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (11/10/2009 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

And now the book is travelling on to the next person on the list!
Have a good read, Oedde, and thanks again, chich!

Journal Entry 39 by Oedde from Darmstadt, Hessen Germany on Friday, November 13, 2009

Thank you, Fremmedordbok, the book has arrived safely!
I'm looking forward to reading the stories, one by one.

Journal Entry 40 by Oedde from Darmstadt, Hessen Germany on Monday, November 23, 2009

I just loved this, Roald Dahl is awesome, it was so much fun. I especially liked Cinderella and the chopped off heads, Red Riding Hood's coats, ...

I'll be sending this along soon. So far for me this is the book with the most journals. Great!

Journal Entry 41 by Oedde at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (11/24/2009 UTC) at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

It's on its way!

Journal Entry 42 by Tsjara from Zaandam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Arrived here safely today. Thanks Oedde for sending and chich for organizing the ray!
Looks like a fun read :)

Journal Entry 43 by Tsjara from Zaandam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, December 26, 2009

This was a lovely and funny read. Had me laughing out loud a couple of times :) I especially liked the stories of Goldilocks, Little Red Riding Hood and The Three Little Pigs. Oh and the illustrations (by Quentin Blake) are great too :)

Hakkalina has already PMed me back with her address, so I will send the book out sometime next week.

Journal Entry 44 by Tsjara at Heiloo, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (12/29/2009 UTC) at Heiloo, Noord-Holland Netherlands

The book is now travelling to Hakkalina.

Enjoy! :)

Journal Entry 45 by winghakkalinawing from Budapest, Pest Hungary on Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The well-travelled book arrived safely! :D I am so happy!!! I almost forgot about this book, so I was so suprised when Tsjara asked my addy LOL. The funniest thing is that I got the audiobook version of it and while I was listening to I realized I would need the text itself... Now the text has arrived!! Wow!!

Update: 2010.02.11.
These stories are funny but strange. I don't think so it was writen for children. Sometimes I got a 'shock', Oh my God, full with peculiar happenings. Even if it won't be my best Roald Dahl book, but considering I have the audio version, thus the text version is well welcomed! :)

Journal Entry 46 by winghakkalinawing at Budapest, Pest Hungary on Friday, February 12, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (2/13/2010 UTC) at Budapest, Pest Hungary

Flying to elidanora, to Argentina! :)
Thanks chich to share this book with me!

Journal Entry 47 by elidanora from Buenos Aires, Ciudad de Buenos Aires (Capital Federal) Argentina on Monday, February 22, 2010

It arrived today!! It looks terrific!!
Thank you for sharing and for the gifts!!

Journal Entry 48 by elidanora from Buenos Aires, Ciudad de Buenos Aires (Capital Federal) Argentina on Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Funny, Witty, a very enjoyable reading!!
Probably, I will read it again before sending to the next in line.
Thanks for Sharing!!