corner corner It''s Like This, Cat

It''s Like This, Cat
by Emily Cheney Neville | Children's Books
Registered by dancing-dog of Cordova, Tennessee USA on Thursday, April 12, 2007

status (set by Rosalinde): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by dancing-dog from Cordova, Tennessee USA on Thursday, April 12, 2007

from powells.com:
Dave Mitchell & his father yell at each other a lot, & whenever the fighting starts, Dave's mother gets an asthma attack. That's when Dave storms out of the house. Then Dave meets Tom, a strange boy who helps him rescue Cat. It isn't long before Cat introduces Dave to Mary, a wonderful girl from Coney Island. Slowly Dave comes to see the complexities in people's lives & to understand himself and his family a little better.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
What I liked about this story is that a lot of the things that happen to Dave are an indirect result of him getting Cat. I think that life is like that - the events and relationships are all tied together although you often don't realize it.

Part of Round #4 of spacedog's Newbery Medal bookrings.

Participants:
bookhunter21
knitwit
spacedog
tuff517
Rosalinde
yokaye

Mailed May 24th to bookhunter21.
conf #0306 1070 0004 9352 1423

Journal Entry 2 by wingbookhunter21wing from Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Received today with Dogsong for the Newbery rings.

Journal Entry 3 by wingbookhunter21wing from Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Friday, June 15, 2007

Good book, though some parts are a little dated. It's amazing the way kids used to go off all day and not have parents checking on them, including taking the subway and walking all over Manhattan. I liked Dave's relationship with Cat. It seems like he got Cat because his Pop thought a dog was educational for a boy and Dave did not want an educational pet. But Cat wound up teaching him about family connections and led to him getting to know some great people who had a positive impact on his life, and on whom he had a positive impact as well. Dave's going to be a fine man.

Will send to knitwit with Dogsong once I am finished with Dogsong.

Journal Entry 4 by wingbookhunter21wing from Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Thursday, June 28, 2007

Sent today to knitwit.

Journal Entry 5 by knitwit from Yardley, Pennsylvania USA on Sunday, July 08, 2007

Arrived yesterday along with Dogsong. I shall read it and pass it along to the next person as quickly as I can.

Journal Entry 6 by knitwit from Yardley, Pennsylvania USA on Thursday, July 19, 2007

A sweet, old fashioned story about the power of friendship.

Off to spacedog tomorrow along with Dogsong

Journal Entry 7 by spacedog from Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Wednesday, August 01, 2007

got yesterday. thanks.

Journal Entry 8 by spacedog from Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, September 01, 2007

this is another book that i'm surprised people didn't enjoy as much as i did. i really liked how the author captures the adolescent male attitude so well and how she really gives a solid understanding of the personality of the perhaps unusually sensitive protagonist. she explores the adolescent male's relationships with his male and female peers, his parents, his pet, his neighbor, and a slightly older male that he admires. there's a somewhat naive innocence about the book due to the fact it's set during a time before the bigger contemporary problems of today, such as drugs, alcohol, violence in the media, etc., and there's a lot that feels nostalgic, like the depictions of a pre-yuppified manhattan. but the relationships feel relevant, and the sense of freedom and exploration of nyc still ring true (one reviewer compared it to mark twain's work), and makes me want to go exploring areas of new york i haven't been to yet. this is def. one of the better newbery books i've read.

Journal Entry 9 by tuff517 from Elk Grove Village, Illinois USA on Saturday, September 15, 2007

Got this the other day, have already started.

Journal Entry 10 by tuff517 from Elk Grove Village, Illinois USA on Thursday, September 27, 2007

Cute little book, would make a pretty decent series book, in my opinion. I liked Dave and Tom and Cat, of course. Interesting reading, good dialogue, and character development. Holding on to this until I finish Dogsong and then heading to Rosalinde.

Journal Entry 11 by Rosalinde from Buffalo, Minnesota USA on Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Received this along with Dogsong and the book of kitties. Will get to as soon as I can!

Journal Entry 12 by Rosalinde from Buffalo, Minnesota USA on Monday, October 29, 2007

Finished this one yesterday, read it in one night. I liked the opening statement, how Dave said he got a cat because his dad wanted him to get a dog. It was an enjoyable book, seeing Dave at that age between childhood and adolescence. How he sees friendship changing, viewing his parents as people and how the cat links them all together.

I too, was surprised at how much freedom he had to roam around. He was never afraid, except for maybe when he rescued cat, but there really was nothing to fear there. The whole city seemed to be their playground! What a difference 40 years makes.

I'll send this on to yokaye as soon as I'm done with Dogsong.