corner corner Revenge of the Middle-Aged Woman

Revenge of the Middle-Aged Woman
by Elizabeth Buchan | Women's Fiction
Registered by wingraeliz64wing of Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on 4/10/2007

status (set by sarkiegirl): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingraeliz64wing from Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 10, 2007

From Amazon -
"Rose Lloyd was the last to suspect that Nathan, her husband of over twenty years, was having an affair, and that he was planning to leave her. But the greatest shock was yet to come; for his mistress was Rose's colleague and friend, Minty. Left alone in their once-happy family home, where she and Nathan had brought up their children. Rose started thinking - about the man she'd married, and how well she really knew him. About the carefree yet studious girl she had been before she met him. Twenty years ago she had to make the choice between two very different lives. Could she now recapture what she nearly chose back then, a life where she put herself first?"

A really good read, hard to put down.

Journal Entry 2 by wingraeliz64wing from Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Monday, April 30, 2007

On it's way to Chania who won it in a RABCK draw.

Journal Entry 3 by Chania from Kokkola, Keski-Pohjanmaa / Mellersta Österbotten Finland on Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Thank you, raeliz64, so much! Looks like a really enjoyable book, I'll read it soon!

Journal Entry 4 by Chania from Kokkola, Keski-Pohjanmaa / Mellersta Österbotten Finland on Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Lovely book! It really was deeper than I expected, and I enjoyed it so much! Maybe the "revenge" in the title is not right word for it, I would say it was "survival" or something like that! I recommend this to anyone who enjoys a good story!

Journal Entry 5 by Chania from Kokkola, Keski-Pohjanmaa / Mellersta Österbotten Finland on Thursday, July 12, 2007

This book is going to OnniManni as a rabck-price! Enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by myrtillus from Pori, Satakunta Finland on Tuesday, July 17, 2007

The book arrived today to Pori. Looks interesting. I try to read it this summer. Thanks Chania and raeliz64!

EDIT 30.7.2007

This novel reminds us that life brings you unexpected events, but you can rise above in the situation. That’s life. As Rose’s mother Ianthe says: “ There’s nothing special about suffering, Rose. It’s as common as hair growing. We just have to deal with it, and get on.” Rose loses her husband, her friend, her job, her cat, her garden and still she manages to hold onto herself and she realizes that all is not lost. “Living well is the best revenge.” The novel is full of emotion. I enjoyed it a lot.

The book travels to Kemppu. Hope you enjoy!

Journal Entry 7 by myrtillus from Pori, Satakunta Finland on Sunday, July 29, 2007

I'm offering the book for a bookring.

The participants are:

1. Kemppu
2. Bookgeo
3. Hambo
4. Thy
5. Ahava (the book is here, I have a new copy, which I'll send to ruzena, because I'm tired of waiting)

Journal Entry 8 by Kemppu from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Thursday, August 02, 2007

The book just arrived! Thank you, I think this kind of book is exactly what I need right now.

Journal Entry 9 by Kemppu from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Thursday, August 16, 2007

Hmmm, this was pretty good, but not exactly what I thought it would be. "Revenge" would sound wrong to describe the way Rose coped with her losses unless there was that Spanish proverb, that sort of explains it, in the beginning. I really like the proverb, by the way.
I felt that Rose is a very nice person. She managed to forgive a lot, and even feel pity for the people who weren't exactly nice to her. I'm quite sure that I couldn't be like that! That's why I felt that the book was a bit too "mellow". I wanted to see more of that revenge or a kind of stronger survival.
The book seemed realistic as it was, though. Even in the end, not everything was solved in Rose's family. That's how life is.

The book goes to Bookgeo next.

Journal Entry 10 by wingBookgeowing from Pirkkala, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Edit. Sorry posted in Finnish first...

I got the book from Kemppu today as we organized a quick meeting in Metso library. I will start reading this right away.

Journal Entry 11 by wingBookgeowing from Pirkkala, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Tuesday, September 04, 2007

I enjoyed this story a lot. The main character Rose holds huge mind strenght and the story of her survival evolves interestingly. The relationships of the younger generation are also described sharply.

I am glad I joined this bookring and will definitely seek to read other novels by this author too.

I will deliver this book to the next reader Hambo on September 5, 2007.

Journal Entry 12 by Hambo from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Wednesday, September 05, 2007

I got the book from Bookgeo in Tampere meeting.

Journal Entry 13 by Hambo from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Sunday, October 14, 2007

This book is a modern Everywoman's tale. It is the funny, heartfelt and sad but not tragic. Story about love and how it touched forty-seven-year-old Rose Lloyd.
Rose meets Nathan Lloyd on a plane the day her relationship with Hal Thorne ends. After twenty-five years later, after marrying, having two kids and working together at a newspaper, Nathan informs Rose that he's met someone new and is dumping her. Adding insult to injury, Nathan's new love is none other than Mindy, Rose's ambitious young assistant. Rose tries keep her sanity by throwing herself into her work, but soon learns that her job as book editor is being given to Mindy as well.

Alone and jobless, Rose's first response is to bury herself under the covers. However, her survival instinct and sense of humor come to the rescue and, slowly, se begins to rally and discovers that the best in her life is yet to come.

The book travels next to Thy.

Journal Entry 14 by thy from Nurmijärvi, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, October 16, 2007

It's so nice to find a book in the mailbox, thank you!

14.11.2007: I liked the book but found this JE really difficult to write. For some reason I did not feel much sympathy for Rose. And I think I'm an awful person not to, she lost almost everything and still I was thinking that she was lucky. I finished the book a while ago but it still haunts me.

Did not meet Ahava in BC meeting after all, so mailed the book to her on 13.11.

Journal Entry 15 by Ahava from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Thank you, thy for sending the book! If I understand correctly, I'm currently the last one in the bookring. If you want it back one day, onnimanni, please let me know. And throw something at me if the book doesn't come back to your bookshelf.

Journal Entry 16 by Ahava from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, May 06, 2008

I'm sending the book to ruzena any day now. Sorry for being a lazy bookcrosser!

Journal Entry 17 by myrtillus from Pori, Satakunta Finland on Tuesday, July 15, 2008

The book is back. Thanks Ahava!

Thanks to all who participated this ring!

Journal Entry 18 by myrtillus from Pori, Satakunta Finland on Wednesday, July 16, 2008

And again I am offering the book but this time for a bookray.

Here is the list of participants for this ray:

1. bestfriends
2. Icila
3. esq228
4. ffortsa
5. easterngirl71

I hope you enjoy it!

I want to thank raeliz64 who originally registered the book.

Journal Entry 19 by myrtillus at Pori, Satakunta Finland on Friday, July 25, 2008

Released 8 yrs ago (7/25/2008 UTC) at Pori, Satakunta Finland

The book is on it's way to bestfriends. :)

Journal Entry 20 by wingbestfriendswing from - Ergens in de provincie, Gelderland Netherlands on Monday, July 28, 2008

In my mailbox today already.

I wish the mail was always as quick as this (desperately waiting right now for something I ordered ages ago and MUST have on the 30th at the latest, because it's a present).

Up next after my current read. Looking forward to it! Thanks for sharing. I will enclose the lovely bookmark for the next readers!

Journal Entry 21 by wingbestfriendswing from - Ergens in de provincie, Gelderland Netherlands on Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Sorry to say I just did not like this book and that's putting it mildly!

I really tried for about 150 pages, but speed read through the rest of it. I don't like the style of writing and I don't like the characters. The story is not very interesting either. Should it have been witty, with a real good "revenge", like the title promises (I'm thinking "The First Wives Club"), I might have finished it and possibly even enjoyed it, at least a bit.

Even the names were wrong! I mean, come on: Rosie, Minty, Jilly and Poppy in Lakey Street. Yech!

I think I should stay away from this kind of "Women's Lit" in future!

Will be sent to Icila next week as I'm away from home for a couple of days starting tomorrow.

Journal Entry 22 by wingbestfriendswing at Spa, Liège / Luik Belgium on Monday, August 04, 2008

Released 8 yrs ago (8/4/2008 UTC) at Spa, Liège / Luik Belgium

KTMC # 43 off to Icila.

Journal Entry 23 by wingIcilawing from Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Sunday, August 10, 2008

Thanks Bestfriends, the book is safe with me.

Journal Entry 24 by wingIcilawing from Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Monday, September 01, 2008

Not a bit realistic but a good reading for the summer anyway. Thanks for sharing.

PMing the next.

Sept 10 : On its way to America.

Journal Entry 25 by StinaRy from Long Beach, California USA on Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Arrived safely last week. Sorry for the late entry. Reading it now!

Journal Entry 26 by StinaRy from Long Beach, California USA on Thursday, November 20, 2008

This book was OK. Not great, but not terrible. I expected (and was hoping for) something a little more racy, given the title -- but that's not what I got. In fact, it doesn't seem like the heroine extracted any revenge, but maybe I'm missing something.

In any case, I've PM'd ffortsa for contact info and will send off ASAP.

Thanks for sharing!

11/21 Update: Shipped to ffortsa today!

Journal Entry 27 by ffortsa on Wednesday, November 26, 2008

on Mt. TBR, thanks to esq228

edited to say:

Ah, saved from my endless mysteries by a book about real people. Despite a title I consider unfortunate (if 47 is middle-aged, what am I???), this is a very readable, wry and nicely written story of emotional shake-ups and their aftermath, emotional ties and their long effects, and the dangerously anodyne comforts of family life. I'll send it on as soon as I get the next address.

Journal Entry 28 by easterngirl71 from Alton, Illinois USA on Thursday, April 02, 2009

Thanks for including me in this ray. It will take me some time to get to it as I have been away from IL for five weeks and have other ring/rays that need to be read and moved along. Thanks again!!

Journal Entry 29 by easterngirl71 at Alton, Illinois USA on Friday, September 04, 2009

Released 7 yrs ago (9/5/2009 UTC) at Alton, Illinois USA

Putting into TreckWoman's All Mixed Up Bookbox!

Journal Entry 30 by wingheartthumperwing from Hutchinson, Kansas USA on Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Chosen from Trekwoman's All Mixed Up Bookbox. Thanks! I've been wanting to read it! I just put it on my wishlist 9/9/09. I'm so excited to get it!

Good book, hard to put down. I was hoping for a little more "revenge".

Journal Entry 31 by wingheartthumperwing at -- wild in the usa, -- Wild Released somewhere in USA -- USA on Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Released 7 yrs ago (10/13/2009 UTC) at -- wild in the usa, -- Wild Released somewhere in USA -- USA

Added to KRL112's Chick Lit Book Box.

Journal Entry 32 by sarkiegirl from La Quinta, California USA on Tuesday, November 10, 2009

I'm taking out of krl112's chick lit bookbox!!!