corner corner The Time Traveler's Wife

by Audrey Niffenegger | Literature & Fiction
Registered by ID20080001 on 4/8/2007

status (set by AnonymousFinder): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by ID20080001 on Sunday, April 08, 2007

This highly original first novel won the largest advance San Francisco-based MacAdam/Cage had ever paid, and it was money well spent. Niffenegger has written a soaring love story illuminated by dozens of finely observed details and scenes, and one that skates nimbly around a huge conundrum at the heart of the book: Henry De Tamble, a rather dashing librarian at the famous Newberry Library in Chicago, finds himself unavoidably whisked around in time. He disappears from a scene in, say, 1998 to find himself suddenly, usually without his clothes, which mysteriously disappear in transit, at an entirely different place 10 years earlier-or later. During one of these migrations, he drops in on beautiful teenage Clare Abshire, an heiress in a large house on the nearby Michigan peninsula, and a lifelong passion is born. The problem is that while Henry's age darts back and forth according to his location in time, Clare's moves forward in the normal manner, so the pair are often out of sync. But such is the author's tenderness with the characters, and the determinedly ungimmicky way in which she writes of their predicament (only once do they make use of Henry's foreknowledge of events to make money, and then it seems to Clare like cheating) that the book is much more love story than fantasy. It also has a splendidly drawn cast, from Henry's violinist father, ruined by the loss of his wife in an accident from which Henry time-traveled as a child, to Clare's odd family and a multitude of Chicago bohemian friends. The couple's daughter, Alba, inherits her father's strange abilities, but this is again handled with a light touch; there's no Disney cuteness here. Henry's foreordained end is agonizing, but Niffenegger has another card up her sleeve, and plays it with poignant grace.

Journal Entry 2 by ID20080001 on Sunday, April 08, 2007

This book will be sent out in the next couple of weeks as a bookray. Please read and pass it on in a 4-week period of time. There are alot of people on this list. Thank you!! The mailing list will be posted soon.

Journal Entry 3 by ID20080001 on Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Here is the mailing list for TTW. Please try to get this book completed in 4 weeks and on it's way. This is a Ray and does not come back to me!!

NDSpider-Mpls
Vicki9170-Florida
Hfitz5051-Florida
Rooshill-California
Addiv-Alaska
Pulcherrima-Denmark-please keep this book moving!

Journal Entry 4 by ID20080001 at Postal Controled Release in Brooklyn Park, Minnesota USA on Thursday, April 19, 2007

Released 10 yrs ago (4/20/2007 UTC) at Postal Controled Release in Brooklyn Park, Minnesota USA

Sending off to NDspider for a bookray.

Journal Entry 5 by ID20080001 on Monday, April 30, 2007

I shipped this out on April 20th to NDSpider's Minneapolis address. Per the delivery confirmation, the book arrived on April 23rd. There have been no responses from him that it was received nor has he journaled the book. I will continue to try to track him down.

Journal Entry 6 by ndspider from Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Just got the book. I will read it in a few days and send the bugger off. (My finance had it and finally got it too me, sorry for the delay).

Journal Entry 7 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Thanks for sharing this with all of us pjmom8025, I just received this from ndspider in the mail today. I have started reading it already and should not take too long to finish it and pass it along.

Journal Entry 8 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Thursday, June 21, 2007

I unexpectedly finished this on the train ride to work this morning. I say unexpectedly because this book went really quickly and I was sad to reach the end. I enjoyed the time travel aspect of this book quite a bit, but also found myself really enjoying the suspense as the story unfolded in such a non-chronological way.

This book will be continuing its journey to MomsL8 in Missouri once I receive her address.

Journal Entry 9 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Monday, June 25, 2007

I will be dropping this in the mail on the way to work this morning for MomsL8.

Journal Entry 10 by MomsL8 from St. Louis, Missouri USA on Friday, July 06, 2007

Hi all - didn't get a chance to journal this in until today - I rv in the summer, and it came just as I left last Saturday (6/30) for my weeklong rv hiatus. But now, I'm on the first chapter, and will have it on its way to the next reader before the month is over! Interesting start with the prologue and the two points of view.

Journal Entry 11 by ID20080001 on Friday, October 05, 2007

This book seems to lost or stolen. The ray is on hold until further notice. *Damn!*

Journal Entry 12 by ID20080001 on Monday, October 15, 2007

Another copy has been procured. BCID# 6835560188

This ray will be continued under the new BCID#

Journal Entry 13 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Thursday, August 06, 2009

Picked this book up in a sharing "library" in Innsbrook, Missouri. Have a a few friends to share it with in Illinois and plan to return it to the Innsbrook library to share with others.

CAUGHT IN INNSBROOK MO WARREN