corner corner Freedom's Landing (Catteni 1)

Freedom's Landing (Catteni 1)
by Anne McCaffrey | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by wingSemioticghostwing of Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on 4/6/2007

status (set by futurecat): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingSemioticghostwing from Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Friday, April 06, 2007

Synopsis
The first in the "Catteni" sequence. When the alien race of Catteni invaded Earth, they forced thousands of humans into their spaceships, and transported them to an eerie and seemingly uninhabited planet. But it was not as empty as it seemed. McCaffrey has won both the Hugo and Nebula awards.

Journal Entry 2 by wingSemioticghostwing at Pittodrie Football stadium complex in Aberdeen, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Released 11 yrs ago (6/15/2007 UTC) at Pittodrie Football stadium complex in Aberdeen, Scotland United Kingdom

To be released at my friend Fiona's wedding reception!

Journal Entry 3 by wingSemioticghostwing from Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Sunday, June 17, 2007

not released at wedding reception after all, as yours truly was buisy catching up with people and eating own weight in fried food, thus completely forgetting bookcrossing duties.

Journal Entry 4 by tutleymutley from Newton Abbot, Devon United Kingdom on Sunday, July 01, 2007

TEEhee. Didn't see you at the Unconvention, Semioticghost, but I managed to catch this book. Have read lots of McCaffrey books but can't remember reading this. Thanks!

Journal Entry 5 by tutleymutley from Newton Abbot, Devon United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Well, I always thought I liked McCaffery, but I really didn't like the politics inherent in this tale of the colonisation of the new world, Botany at all. Maybe I've become more selective in my old age, but I was so aware that, despite the main character being a feisty female, the men had all the lead roles. I was also aware that the American Way held sway in this brand new world and I could even spot hints of American paranoia and the beginnings of secrecy and political intrigue. Bleugh. McCaffery also seems to have the greatest respect for caste, or inherited rank - particularly noticeable in her depiction of Zainal, the Catteni who, with his patrician looks and refined manners, was 'superior' to the ordinary guys merely by dint of his birth.
I didn't like the treatment of the bad guy, Dick Aarens - the only way this new society could think of to change his attitude was to stick him in the stocks or threaten castration? How enlightened an approach is that?!
I don't think I'll be so eager to read another McCaffery novel :-(

Journal Entry 6 by tutleymutley at London Convention 2008 in South Kensington, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, April 19, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (4/17/2008 UTC) at London Convention 2008 in South Kensington, Greater London United Kingdom

Journal Entry 7 by futurecat from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Picked up from the book buffet at the convention. I haven´t encountered this Anne McCaffrey series before, though I´m familiar of course with her Pern books, so it´ll be interesting to see how it compares.

=+=

Journal Entry 8 by futurecat at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Sunday, November 11, 2012

I was a bit off and on about this book. Like tutleymutley, I found the politics a bit suspect, and the humans were definitely US-centric - although she does at least nod towards there being more than one country on earth, the other nationalities were all stereotypes (Australians calling women sheilas, really? I don't think I've ever heard that out of an Australian's mouth other than as self-parody), and she couldn't even get the stereotypes right (an Irishman might well be a fan of football, but he'd never call it "soccer"!)

The story did flow along nicely, and there were some interesting ideas. But overall, definitely not McCaffrey's best.

=+=

Journal Entry 9 by futurecat at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Friday, January 11, 2013

Released 5 yrs ago (12/5/2012 UTC) at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand

Given to another bookcrosser at the December meetup.

Happy bookcrossing to the finder!

v

P.S. If you live in the Christchurch area, you might like to join us at our monthly bookcrossing meetups. For details, see the BCNZ Yahoo Group