corner corner If on a Winter's Night a Traveller

If on a Winter's Night a Traveller
by Italo Calvino | Literature & Fiction
Registered by pepita-di-Corfu of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki Greece on 4/2/2007

status (set by AgdaAgulina): reserved

Journal Entry 1 by pepita-di-Corfu from Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki Greece on Monday, April 02, 2007

Taken from the back cover:
"Calvino's masterpiece opens with a scene that's reassuringly commonplace: apparently. Indeed, it's taking place now. A reader goes into a bookshop to buy a book: not any book, but the latest Calvino, the book you are holding in your hands. Or is it? Are you the reader? Is this the book? Beware. All assumptions are dangerous on this most bewitching switch-back ride to the heart of story-telling."

Journal Entry 2 by pepita-di-Corfu from Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki Greece on Saturday, April 26, 2008

A year ago i found myself in a farm house in Italy, in the middle of nowhere you could say. I was discussing with a friend about bookcrossing and books in general and one thing led to another and she suggested that i should read "Se una notte d' inverno un viaggiatore". A couple of days after this discussion we were walking around the streets of Florence and i found a bookstore on my way. I couldn't resist the temptation and entered. I found this copy of the book she'd suggested me and without any hesitation bought it along with other books. I still remember the friend's comment after leaving the cashier: "pepita-di-Corfu, you become very dangerous when you visit bookstores", meaning that i always buy piles and piles of books spending almost a fortune! It took me a year to sit down with it and yesterday evening i was finally finished. I have to admit that at the beginning i was really excited, it's something completely different from previous readings, then somewhere before the middle i was a bit exhausted, but in the end i found the interest i'd lost. I'm sure that If on a winter's night a traveller has also been released in greek, however i'm glad i had the chance to read it in english (i'd have felt even luckier if i'd found an italian copy but maybe then i wouldn't have been able to understand as much as i did now, since my italian is quite poor to read Calvino). However what i'm sure of and regret, is that some years ago there was a theatrical play in my hometown on If on a winter's night a traveller. I wish i'd watched it back then.

Journal Entry 3 by pepita-di-Corfu at international BCing in by post, to another bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, May 03, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (5/5/2008 UTC) at international BCing in by post, to another bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

i'm sending this book to the Czech Republic to bookcrosser AgdaAgulina. Since i've never sent a book to the Czech Republic before this one will help me with my lifelong challenge to send at least one book to every country of the world.
I decided to also add this book in charbono's Around the World Challenge 2008, similar to mine only on this one contribute bookcrossers from all over the world sending books worldwide too.
I hope you'll enjoy reading AgdaAgulina!

Journal Entry 4 by AgdaAgulina from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Thank you very much pepita-di-Corfu!! The book arrived well in Prague, yesterday already... looking forward to read it! Great to be part of your challenge, thank you for choosing me!