corner corner Brokeback Mountain (Bookring--Read, Journal, Ship within 30 days)

Brokeback Mountain (Bookring--Read, Journal, Ship within 30 days)
by Annie Proulx | Literature & Fiction
Registered by gaysocialworker of Chicago, Illinois USA on 3/31/2007

status (set by Caridad): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by gaysocialworker from Chicago, Illinois USA on Saturday, March 31, 2007

From amazon.com...

Originally published in THE NEW YORKER and then as part of the collection CLOSE RANGE, Annie Proulx's short story packs a punch. Cowboys Jack Twist and Ennis del Mar find love or something like it watching over a herd of sheep one summer on Wyoming's Brokeback Mountain. Their lives diverge and intersect again and again as they simultaneously resist and are drawn into a doomed, impossible romance. Campbell Scott's clear reading puts Proulx's beautiful and harsh language front and center. The story is mostly straight narration, but there are a few chances for dialogue, and Scott gives the various characters subtle Western shading, with a gentle drawl for Jack and a gravelly growl for Ennis. It's a timeless story that stands up to repeated listening and will stay with listeners long after they've finished the hour-long CD

Journal Entry 2 by gaysocialworker from Chicago, Illinois USA on Friday, May 11, 2007

BOOKRING:

RULES:
(modified, from bookcrosser LaurieS)

What is a bookring and how do I get in on it?
A bookring begins when a bookcrosser decides to send a book on a controlled journey. A list of interested readers is set up and the book passes from one reader who reads it and then sends it along to the person next in line. Eventually the book ends up back in the hands of the original owner which, for this book, will be me, gaysocialworker. Readers can join this bookring until the closing date, listed above. Just private message (PM) me and let me know where you are located--city, state, country--and if you are able to ship internationally. Be sure to let me know if you would like to be placed lower down on the list.

What should I do when I receive the book?
Log on to bookcrossing and type up a journal entry so I know it reached you okay. Then private message (PM) the next person in line to get their mailing address so there will be no waiting once you finish the book, if they do not respond within 10 days PM the next reader in line (and me too so I know they are no longer interested). Please read the book within 30 days and when complete add another journal entry with your thoughts about the book. Tell me the truth! Was it the best thing you ever read or a complete and utter waste of time? I love to talk books, the good, the bad and even the ugly (ugly can sometimes be lots of fun to dissect), you can write one sentence or a hundred. When you finish send the book along to the next reader in line. Please mail the book via Media Mail to save on postage in the US or via the slow boat to China if sending overseas.

What if I’m the last in line?
PM me! I would like to have the book back at the end of the bookring.

Help! I’m too swamped with book commitments and it is almost my turn!
If you find yourself in this situation PM me and I will bump you down a few notches on the list (if possible). Believe me, I understand!

Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by gaysocialworker from Chicago, Illinois USA on Friday, May 11, 2007

The List:

Please make a journal entry upon receiving the book. Then read, journal your comments, and mail to the next bookcrosser within 30 days. Enjoy!

LadyKnightNiko in Ohio*
Rrrcaron in New Hampshire*
GateGypsy in Canada*
Caridad in Florida
missprisy in Massachusetts
-----> return to gaysocialworker in Texas

Last updated, 05/11/2007

Journal Entry 4 by gaysocialworker from Chicago, Illinois USA on Friday, May 11, 2007

Sending to first stop on bookring LadyKnightNiko in Ohio, planned ship date of 05/15. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 5 by LadyKnightNiko from Liberty Township, Ohio USA on Sunday, May 27, 2007

This arrived on thursday, but it's been hectic around here preparing for graduation. There's a couple other rings ahead, I'll read and pass this on asap.

Journal Entry 6 by LadyKnightNiko from Liberty Township, Ohio USA on Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Updated to say I'm starting as soon as I log off- sorry about the holdup!

Journal Entry 7 by LadyKnightNiko from Liberty Township, Ohio USA on Tuesday, June 05, 2007

This book was certainly different. It wasn't as bad as the reviews I've heard, but it wasn't a Pulitzer worthy story in my belief, either. Proulx's decision to make this a short story instead of a novel was a bad one, because the reader can't really get attached to either of the main characters, and the story seems rushed.

Thanks gaysocialworker for letting me jump in on this ring. I'll mail it out as soon as the next participant sends me the address.

Journal Entry 8 by LadyKnightNiko at by mail in To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Released 11 yrs ago (6/7/2007 UTC) at by mail in To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Sending this off before work- enjoy!

EDIT 6.6.07.: This got sent out a day earlier than planned. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 9 by Tregossip from St. Austell, Cornwall United Kingdom on Thursday, June 14, 2007

Arrived this morning - thanks one and all
How did they make a film out of such a slim novel? This little book is just packed full, however a novel would have been better to allow the characters to develop fully
Off to the next once I have address

Journal Entry 10 by Tregossip at -- Controlled release in St. Austell, Cornwall United Kingdom on Sunday, June 17, 2007

Released 11 yrs ago (6/20/2007 UTC) at -- Controlled release in St. Austell, Cornwall United Kingdom

To next reader

Journal Entry 11 by wingCassiopaeiawing from Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, June 23, 2007

Arrived in Cardiff in today's post thank you to gaysocialworker and Tregossip. Will PM next in line today, as this is a very dinky sized read.

Journal Entry 12 by wingCassiopaeiawing from Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on Sunday, June 24, 2007

I thought this was beautifully written and like a good short story should, grips you and galvanises your imagination and senses, and when you have finished leaves you with a sense of something to ponder and wonder.

Thank you gaysocialworker for sending this out, a fantastic little book. Waiting for Flambard's details.

Journal Entry 13 by wingCassiopaeiawing from Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 26, 2007

In the post today to Flambard.

Journal Entry 14 by Flambard from Horsham, West Sussex United Kingdom on Saturday, June 30, 2007

Many thanks Cassiopaeia and gaysocialworker! Despite the floods and the postal strike it has arrived at the height of a Horsham summer (ie slightly warmer rain). I shall read it quickly and pass it on...(now, if only I could get that theme tune out of my head....)

Journal Entry 15 by Flambard from Horsham, West Sussex United Kingdom on Sunday, July 08, 2007

Excellent, full of drama and emotion. I loved the characters and was more than pleased that the novella and the film are so close. Like others before me though, I would have preferred a novel-length story.

Journal Entry 16 by Flambard at A fellow bookcrosser in By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, July 08, 2007

Released 11 yrs ago (7/8/2007 UTC) at A fellow bookcrosser in By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Off to Minden!

Journal Entry 17 by Ahoi-Brause from Lemgo, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Friday, July 13, 2007

Thanks to flambard for the quick sending and the nice envelope. Even the stamps were somehow "topic-related" :O)
Will read it soon ... and send it on. Thanks to all participants and gaysocialworker for sending the book!

Journal Entry 18 by Ahoi-Brause from Lemgo, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Sunday, July 15, 2007

I started the book yesterday afternoon and couldn't put it down really ... so it was finished by midnight. Beautifully written, even though the characters couldn't really be developed in detail due to the few pages. Would have liked to read more. :O) I haven't seen the film, so I am really happy to have read the book now. Thanks to all for the ring!
I will PM the next participant, so that the book will soon travel from Europe all over the sea to collectorkerri in Illinois, USA.

Journal Entry 19 by Ahoi-Brause at BookRing in -- Per Post geschickt / Persönlich weitergegeben --, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Sunday, July 15, 2007

Released 11 yrs ago (7/15/2007 UTC) at BookRing in -- Per Post geschickt / Persönlich weitergegeben --, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany

I have just received collectorkerri's address and will post it first thing tomorrow morning! Enjoy the story of the cowboys ...

Journal Entry 20 by wingcollectorkerriwing from Springfield, Illinois USA on Monday, July 23, 2007

Received today. Will read ASAP.

Journal Entry 21 by wingcollectorkerriwing from Springfield, Illinois USA on Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Too short, too short, too short! I enjoyed the movie much better. The characters seemed more fleshed out in the movie. A good read, though.

Sent on to rrrcaron today.

Journal Entry 22 by Rrrcaron from Lancaster, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Received this book in the mail yesterday. I have a few to read beforehand, but it shouldn't take long.
Ruth

Journal Entry 23 by Rrrcaron from Lancaster, New Hampshire USA on Friday, November 16, 2007

I really enjoyed this book. I started it with doubts and was quite pleasantly surprised. It changed my outlook on things. I think I'll rent the movie now, hopefully getting to know the characters a bit more than the book allowed. My sincere apologies for holding this book so darn long.It was a one sitting read, it was just finally getting to it that was the problem. I thank you for your patience. Sending on to GateGypsy!

Journal Entry 24 by GateGypsy from Ladysmith, British Columbia Canada on Tuesday, December 04, 2007

This arrived safe and sound today! It's barely over 50 pages long, so I expect to finish this on one sitting. I'll PM Caridad right away to ask for an addy, and get this off probably this weekend after payday!

Journal Entry 25 by GateGypsy from Ladysmith, British Columbia Canada on Thursday, December 06, 2007

I was right: finished in one sitting. I must echo most everyone else: I would have liked to "get to know" the characters more, but as far as short stories go, this was lovely! I think they made a great decision to take this slim volume and fit it into a movie -- it worked really really well. I had seen the film before reading the book, I admit, which is usually the way I do it (the book is, more often than not, better), but I have to say that this time the movie helped me understand the book better!

I'm glad I got the chance to read this! Thanks so much, gaysocialworker, for making this a ring and sharing it with everyone. I already have Caridad's address, and will get it to the post office probably on Saturday.

Journal Entry 26 by GateGypsy from Ladysmith, British Columbia Canada on Saturday, December 22, 2007

In the post (air!) Dec 21st.

Journal Entry 27 by Caridad from Miami, Florida USA on Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Received today. Thanks, GateGypsy, for sending it.