corner corner The Glass Castle: A Memoir (Bookray)

The Glass Castle: A Memoir (Bookray)
by Jeannette Walls | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by SqueakyChu of Rockville, Maryland USA on Friday, March 30, 2007

status (set by maryzee): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by SqueakyChu from Rockville, Maryland USA on Friday, March 30, 2007

I bought this book in July, 2006, at the Friends of the Library used book store in Rockville, Maryland. I hope to read it as part of The Reading Lounge's online book club.

This is the author's memoirs of her childhood, of being wowed by her father's intelligent explanatations of scientific principles but discouraged by his bouts of drinking and of her mother's rejection of the domestic life. The author as a youngster and her siblings were shuttled from place to place, often moving in the dark of the night to avoid detection. Walls put words to this dysfunctional family system in such a way that it has become an intriguing read.

This book is the winner of an Alex Award and a New York Times bestseller.

From the beginning of the book:
"I was sitting in a taxi, wondering if I had overdressed for the evening, when I looked out the window and saw Mom rooting through a Dumpster. It was just after dark. A blustery March wind whipped the steam coming out of the manholes, and people hurried along the sidewalks with their collars turned up. I was stuck in traffic two blocks from..."

Journal Entry 2 by SqueakyChu from Rockville, Maryland USA on Tuesday, May 08, 2007

I started reading this book tonight. I hope to share it with others as an International Bookray when I am done. It will begin its travels at the end of May, 2007.

This bookray will remain open at all times, but the mailing order will be subject to change based on geography, mailing preference or originator's whim. Please PM me with mailing prefernces to join.

Begin International Bookray (05/08/07):
nawoo82 (Australia) done
franaloe (Netherlands) done
darkpunkangel (Canada) done
easterngirl71 (Illinois, USA) done
MaryZee (Maryland, USA) to an OBCZ!
End International Bookray (10/16/08)

This bookray was ended because there was no further interest in joining. The book, during its travels, had 19 stops in 4 countries - including 11 U. S. States. Thanks, all, for participating in my bookray.

Journal Entry 3 by SqueakyChu from Rockville, Maryland USA on Sunday, May 20, 2007

I just finished the book. What pathetic parents! I felt so sorry for those kids.

I really liked the way the author organized this book. In the first half as a little girl, she lived her life at the whim of her parents -- finding joy in what little girls enjoy and almost oblivious to the pain to which she was being subjected. As a budding teenager, which is a time when kids are critical of their parents anyway, the author began to realize just how difficult her life and that of her siblings was.

It took a brave soul to share what Jeannette Walls did with the reading public. It's not as if her family faded away into oblivion. It was not a lovely family portrait.

If you enjoyed (I'm not sure this is the right word) this book, I'd also recommend the (sad) memoirs of Frank McCourt (Angela's Ashes) and Alice Sebold (Lucky).

I hope others like the experience of reading this book as much as I did. The book is in the mail to Guinneth in New Hampshire.

Journal Entry 4 by Guinneth from Manchester, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, May 29, 2007

The book has arrived here, safe and sound. I'll get started on it tonight or tomorrow - I have about a dozen pages left in the Stephanie Plum adventure I'm currently into. ;-)

I've been wanting to read The Glass Castle for quite a while - thanks for sharing it, SqueakyChu. (And thank you for the lovely bookmark, too!)

Journal Entry 5 by Guinneth from Manchester, New Hampshire USA on Monday, June 04, 2007

I found this book difficult to read. I am very glad that Jeannette and her siblings (the two we know about, anyway) were able to go on and build lives for themselves after their experiences growing up with such shiftless, selfish parents. She tells the story with remarkable wit, grace, and a decidedly UNself-pitying tone. I'm amazed that these kids survived their upbringing, frankly. The interesting thing is, they probably grew up to be such strong individuals precisely because of who their parents were. I guess there were *some* good aspects to their unconventional life, but I have to say that parts of this book made me so angry I wanted to spit.

In the end, I think, it's all about accepting who our parents are and choosing for ourselves what sort of people we want to be rather than blaming them for how we turn out. This book certainly makes that clear.

Thanks very much for sharing this, SqueakyChu. It'll continue its journey as soon as I have an address to send it to.

Journal Entry 6 by Guinneth from Manchester, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Mailed to icekween01 today. Enjoy!

Del. conf.# 03062400000064722840

Journal Entry 7 by icekween01 from St. Louis, Missouri USA on Tuesday, June 12, 2007

arrived safe and sound today. I am only 150 pages into a 500 page book so it might take me a couple of weeks to get through that and get done with this one. I will try to read fast! Will journal again when I finish and pass it along.

Thanks for sharing your book SqueakyChu!!!

Journal Entry 8 by icekween01 from St. Louis, Missouri USA on Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Update:

I just finished Braided Lives by Marge Piercy and now I can start on this one. Thank you Jennifer for the lovely postcard! I just found it. I've never been to New Hampshire. It sure looks like a beautiful place.

Will journal again when I finish and then send it on.

Journal Entry 9 by icekween01 from St. Louis, Missouri USA on Thursday, June 21, 2007

Finished this one today. I have known children that were in much worse situations than those presented in the book so I wasn't as upset by it as some of the other journalers and the kids turned out ok so...I don't know. It makes you appreciate that someone else always has it worse than you thought you did and also that people can overcome even the worst situations if they really put their minds to it. I liked it. It was a quick easy interesting read.

Thanks again, SqueakyChu for sharing your book. I have the next participants address and will be putting this in the mail in the next few days.

Journal Entry 10 by icekween01 from St. Louis, Missouri USA on Friday, June 29, 2007

Sent this off to EMA375 today. Sorry it took me so long to get to the post office. I sent it first class (it was only a few cents more, no biggie) and they said it should be there Monday or Tuesday. Again, sorry about the delay. I think it took me longer to send it than to read it! AGH! I hope I haven't held it up too long.

Thanks SqueakyChu!

Journal Entry 11 by EMA375 from Santa Clarita, California USA on Monday, July 02, 2007

Arrived today! Thank you.

Journal Entry 12 by EMA375 from Santa Clarita, California USA on Saturday, August 18, 2007

I must apologize for keeping this book for so long. Busy summer!

I''m so incredible grateful for having the chance to read this book. I can''t believe this story is true and to see what these children endured. I was angered by these parents...so selfish. I don''t know how Jeannette was able to move past her childhood. I guess you have to be strong. Incredible story!!

Off to midwinter next week.

Journal Entry 13 by wingmidwinterwing from Tucson, Arizona USA on Sunday, August 26, 2007

Just received and going to the top of Mount TBR. Will report back shortly :)

Journal Entry 14 by wingmidwinterwing from Tucson, Arizona USA on Tuesday, September 04, 2007

As I read this, I kept being reminded of Augusten Burroughs's Running With Scissors. Like Scissors, I kept finding myself wondering if there was a line between fact and fiction. The story is told in an almost deadpan tone - just the facts ma'am - which both makes it easy to read and hard to swallow.
I was particularly drawn to the bits taking place in Arizona (my stomping grounds) - I know the neighborhood where she lived in Phoenix, and many of the other places mentioned.

Off to candlelitenight as soon as I have an address :)

Journal Entry 15 by candlelitenight from Mandeville, Louisiana USA on Friday, September 21, 2007

I received the book yesterday but was so busy and didnt get to journal it.Sorry but Thank you midwinter for sending it and for Squeakychu for doing the ring.

I started the book last night and it is well written but a very sad life for these kids.Being shifted from place to place and all the things they go through.I hope I can finish this.I wanted to be able to read it since it seems to be very popular.I will add more later.

Journal Entry 16 by candlelitenight from Mandeville, Louisiana USA on Tuesday, September 25, 2007

I am sending this book on to accountkel who is next on the list to receive it.

I sent her a pm and she is ready for it.

I couldnt finish it.I am going through some trying times and I need to read something more encouraging.It is well written and I know the author must be a very strong woman today.

I will send it out soon.

Journal Entry 17 by candlelitenight at fellow bookcrosser in Slidell, Louisiana USA on Saturday, September 29, 2007

Released 7 yrs ago (9/29/2007 UTC) at fellow bookcrosser in Slidell, Louisiana USA

mailed out to accountkel on Wed 09/26/07

Journal Entry 18 by acountkel from Charlotte, North Carolina USA on Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Received today.
I am really looking forward to reading this.
Thanks SqueakyChu for including me!!

Journal Entry 19 by acountkel from Charlotte, North Carolina USA on Tuesday, October 30, 2007

After reading this book, I really appreciate my childhood. My parents were responsible, they gave us food, water and shelter and they took care of us in every way. They put themselves before us. You can not say this about Jeanette’s parents. Yet, when I sat down and made a list of the good and bad things about Jeanette’s child hood, the good list was almost as long as the bad. First the bad list: Parents were irresponsible, the father was a drunk, the father stole from his own children, the parents did not provide for their children, their priorities were mixed up, the were selfish, they ran from the law. Now, the good list: The kid’s circumstances taught them how to be independent, they learned to appreciate the smallest and simplest things, they were strong and had the will to survive, they were encouraged to read and were taught many interesting things, they became creative and learned to make things from nothing, Mom was a free spirit and tried to show the positive side in everything and finally, the kids leaned on each other and became each other’s friends and support (with maybe the exception of Maureen ). This was an excellent memoir. I could not put it down. I will probably be thinking about this book for a long time to come. I am surprised Jeanette and her siblings survived their childhood as well as they did. I am not sure I could.

Thank you so much for including me in the ray SqueakyChu
Pmng next person now.

Journal Entry 20 by brewster13 from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, November 18, 2007

Got this book a couple of days back, but have had comp troubles so couldn't get here until now.
In the meantime, I've read this incredible memoir, and all I can really say is WOW

How Walls could write such a moving, disturbing, harrowing, story and not insert any kind of self-pity, analysis, or hatred, is amazing, and truly something to be desired.
The story of the Walls family broke my heart. But it also made me so proud of those kids for sticking together, for facing adversity and coming out on top. What they lived through no child should have to face. It's tough enough to grow up without throwing poverty and whacko parents into the mix!!

So this was a wonderful read. Thank you for sharing Squeaky-Chu. As soon as I receive the next person's mailing addy I'll get this in the mail.

UPDATE: Jan 7 -- no response from starbright, so have sent pm to next reader and will hopefully get this moving soon.

Journal Entry 21 by brewster13 from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, February 04, 2008

Man oh man -- my sincere apologies for having this book for so long. Life has just been happening, and time's been flying by! YIKES!

The situation has come to an end though - this book hit the mailbox this morning, on its way to redhot-brat. Enjoy :-D

Journal Entry 22 by redhot-brat from Delavan, Minnesota USA on Wednesday, February 13, 2008

This has arrived safe and sound in Minnesota. I am in the middle of a book at the moment, but will get to this as soon as it is finished.
Thanks for sharing it with me.

Journal Entry 23 by redhot-brat from Delavan, Minnesota USA on Monday, March 03, 2008

I have finished this and it is ready to go out to 300Dogs next.
Though the writing style makes this book easy to read it's contents do not. Parents like that do not deserve to have children. I'm glad the kids survived and made better of themselves.

JUST A NOTE - Due to a falling on the stairs accident this book got wet. (just water). I have let SqueakyChu know and I did my best to flatten it back out as much as possible. None of the pages stuck together and it is still completley readable. :)

Journal Entry 24 by 300dogs from Jackson, New Jersey USA on Saturday, March 08, 2008

The Glass Castle was waiting for me in the mailbox when I got home from work this evening. What a great suprise. Yippee. I have been patiently waiting to read this for quite some time now. I will start it tonight. Thank you SqueakyChu for starting this ray.

Journal Entry 25 by 300dogs from Jackson, New Jersey USA on Thursday, March 13, 2008

Wow-what a story!!! I really enjoyed this book. I wonder what ever happened to her siblings and mother and especially the land in Texas...

This book is already on it's way to donduckandy in Pennsylvania. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 26 by Donduckandy from Hazleton, Pennsylvania USA on Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Book arrived here in hazleton, Pa. 3/17/08. Will be the second book on my TBR pile. Will keep the book moving ASAP. thanks for sending this book along my way.

Journal Entry 27 by Donduckandy from Hazleton, Pennsylvania USA on Wednesday, March 26, 2008

I really enjoyed this book though there was so much sad events happening to these children. They lived in poverty and made do with so little. I'm sure the parents didn't really make an honest effort to improve their living conditions. Yet the children really pulled themselves out of the rut and went on to make a good life for themselves. You had to keep reading to see what greater tragedy was waiting for them.

Journal Entry 28 by Miss-Owl from Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Thailand on Tuesday, April 08, 2008

It's here! Thanks, Donducky, for sending on, and to SqueakyChu for the ray. It arrived sooner than expected.

Have a book ahead of it on Mt Toobie but will get to it shortly.

Journal Entry 29 by Miss-Owl from Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Thailand on Monday, April 21, 2008

This is a jaw-dropping read. I think one thing that particularly both enthralls and appalls me is the intelligence and erudition of the Walls parents. I think I've always assumed that if you were fairly intelligent and had a reasonably good education, then all things being equal, you've got a pretty good lot in life. In the back of my mind, of course, I've known that intelligence doesn't equate to either moral goodness or success. But studying a course in gifted education at the moment, I've been viewing giftedness in a fairly positive light. Here it has obviously lost its way - Rex's self-delusion was particularly shocking.

Despite the seemingly neutral tone of the narrator, like other readers here, I was thoroughly emotionally captivated. I think it's the very nature of family to hit so close to home.

Ready for the next reader. Thanks for the ray, SqueakyChu.

Update (22.4.08): SqueakyChu has allowed me to share this with my student whose writing project touches on similar subject matter. We promise to keep this moving though, before too long. She's a quick-ish reader. Thanks!

Journal Entry 30 by Latisha-Rose from Ferny Hills, Queensland Australia on Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Hiya! Book got here yesterday and i've already started it! Journal Entry 23 totally answered my question as to why it looks a tad water-logged! I just presumed someone read it in the bath!
I'll let you know when i'm through it!
Cheers!

Journal Entry 31 by Latisha-Rose from Ferny Hills, Queensland Australia on Monday, June 02, 2008

Interesting book - I don't think that i'd be as strong as Jeannette was, she is an inspiration to those with unconventional childhoods!
I found the way the story was written by the author - very impartially - a little disturbing, but all together a great read!
I'll send it on it's way in the next day or so!
Cheers!

Journal Entry 32 by nawoo82 from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Sunday, June 15, 2008

Got it! I discovered the book next to my mailbox this morning as I was coming back from shopping. What a nice surprise! Thanks Latisha-Rose for dropping the book off.

Will start reading ASAP

Journal Entry 33 by nawoo82 from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Tuesday, July 01, 2008

'The Glass Castle' is probably the best autobiography I've ever read. I just loved loved loved it! It's sometimes funny, sometimes sad. The Walls children surely had a pretty atypical childhood, between their eccentric mother and their alcoholic father.
But Jeannette Walls doesn't only tell about the bad moments, she also tells about the good moments, and that's what's really touching about this book. She has a very vivid, almost 'alive', style of writing. Emotionally, I was completely immersed in the book: I was angry with her, I was happy with her, I was fighting with her.

Once I started the book, I couldn't put it down. I read it in less than 3 days, and I read more than half of it in just one sitting!

Many thanks SqueakyChu for sending this out as a bookray. It's a little gem!

lesezeichen has asked to be skipped and I have franaloe's address so I'll post the book off tomorrow.

Happy Readings

Journal Entry 34 by nawoo82 from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Thursday, July 03, 2008

The book is off to the Nertherlands by Airmail as of today. It should arrive within 7 to 10 days.
Happy Reading!

Journal Entry 35 by franaloe from Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Arrived today in the Netherlands, all the way from Australia! Thanks for sending and sharing. I'll start reading it soon.

Journal Entry 36 by franaloe from Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on Thursday, July 31, 2008

Yup, they sure had a difficult childhood...good everything turned out well. For the children, that is. I don't really know what to think of this book. It didn't really grab me, I could not imagine the hunger, the dirt, the cold, the other people not accepting you and your family. The book is written with some distance, as if Jeannette was protecting herself from loosing control.

Anyways, Supertalya recently found an own copy of this book and asked to be skipped. I'm waiting for the address of darkpunkangel to send the book on.

edit: sent to darkpunkangel today!

Journal Entry 37 by darkpunkangel from Barrie, Ontario Canada on Thursday, August 14, 2008

Arrived today, thanks. I think I'll be able to start this today and probably take this with me on my trip to Ireland. Thanks to franaloe who sent me the book and to SqueakyChu who started this bookray.

Journal Entry 38 by darkpunkangel from Barrie, Ontario Canada on Thursday, August 28, 2008

I just finished this yesterday on the plane back home from Ireland, and I was WOW, what a story. I'm really glad the kids survived.

I already PMed the next person in line and will send the book when I get their address.

Journal Entry 39 by darkpunkangel at sent by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Monday, September 08, 2008

Released 6 yrs ago (9/8/2008 UTC) at sent by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

Sent today to the next participant, thanks for setting up this ray SqueakyChu

Journal Entry 40 by easterngirl71 from Alton, Illinois USA on Friday, September 12, 2008

Got the book today. I want to let you know that it looks as if someone has spilled soda on it. Just a heads up. From about page 193 through the end of the book.I have one and a half other book ring books to read and then I will dive into this one!

Journal Entry 41 by wingmaryzeewing from Taneytown, Maryland USA on Thursday, October 16, 2008

I could not figure out why this book came to me, and then I started wondering if was one of the ones from SqueakyChu. Thanks so much. Although this sounds like quite a good book (and one which I see, has traveled quite a lot too), it's not my reading taste. However, the Pour House shelf is in need of books. So this will soon be released there.

Thanks again to SqueakyChu and Easterngirl71 for sending this to me.

Journal Entry 42 by wingmaryzeewing at Pour House Cafe in Westminster, Maryland USA on Saturday, October 18, 2008

Released 6 yrs ago (10/18/2008 UTC) at Pour House Cafe in Westminster, Maryland USA

This is on the OBCZ shelf in the back room.

Welcome to BookCrossing!

To the finder of this book:
Hello and congratulations! You have not only found yourself a good book, but a whole community of booklovers dedicated to sharing books with each other and the world at large. I hope you'll stick around a bit and get to know BookCrossing -- maybe even make a journal entry on this book. You may choose to remain anonymous or to join (it's free!) Feel free to read and keep this book, or to pass it on to a friend or even set it out "in the wild" for someone else to find like you did. If you do choose to join and journal, then you can watch the book as it travels - You'll be alerted by email each time someone makes another journal entry. It's all confidential (you're known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address), free, and spam-free. Happy reading!