corner corner 'Tis

'Tis
by Frank McCourt | Literature & Fiction
Registered by bluecat07 of Karben, Hessen Germany on 3/19/2007

status (set by pyrospiglet): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by bluecat07 from Karben, Hessen Germany on Monday, March 19, 2007

Amazon.com
The sequel to Frank McCourt's memoir of his Irish Catholic boyhood, Angela's Ashes, picks up the story in October 1949, upon his arrival in America. Though he was born in New York, the family had returned to Ireland due to poor prospects in the United States. Now back on American soil, this awkward 19-year-old, with his "pimply face, sore eyes, and bad teeth," has little in common with the healthy, self-assured college students he sees on the subway and dreams of joining in the classroom. Initially, his American experience is as harrowing as his impoverished youth in Ireland, including two of the grimmest Christmases ever described in literature. McCourt views the U.S. through the same sharp eye and with the same dark humor that distinguished his first memoir: race prejudice, casual cruelty, and dead-end jobs weigh on his spirits as he searches for a way out. A glimpse of hope comes from the army, where he acquires some white-collar skills, and from New York University, which admits him without a high school diploma. But the journey toward his position teaching creative writing at Stuyvesant High School is neither quick nor easy. Fortunately, McCourt's openness to every variety of human emotion and longing remains exceptional; even the most damaged, difficult people he encounters are richly rendered individuals with whom the reader can't help but feel uncomfortable kinship. The magical prose, with its singing Irish cadences, brings grandeur and beauty to the most sorrowful events, including the final scene, set in a Limerick graveyard.

Journal Entry 2 by bluecat07 from Karben, Hessen Germany on Friday, May 18, 2007

After years of standing in my shelf I got inspired by Marcendas forum search for this book and finally read it. I liked it. It was interesting to follow Frank McCourt's struggle when arriving in New York and how he became a teacher. I also liked his language, his unique style of combining short sentences with longer descriptions and above all this satirical undertone.

It took me longer than thought to read but I just finished it and sent it off to Marcenda as a RABCK. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by wingMarcendawing from Parede, Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on Wednesday, May 23, 2007

I just got it. Thank you so much, bluecat07! I loved the bookmark and the postcard too. I just finished your book and will mail it sometime next week. I have a bookring ahead of this one, but I can't wait to start reading it. Thanks again!

Journal Entry 4 by wingMarcendawing from Parede, Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on Sunday, June 17, 2007

I just finished it and really enjoyed it, though not as much as Angela's Ashes, a very tough act to follow. I'm very intrigued by FMcC's personality and looking forward to read the sequel. Thanks again, bluecat07, for sharing this book.

Journal Entry 5 by wingMarcendawing at on Monday, July 30, 2007

Released 10 yrs ago (7/30/2007 UTC) at

Sent to jumpingin, winner of my 4th BC anniversary RABCK. Hope she enjoys it as much as I did!

Journal Entry 6 by wingMarcendawing at on Monday, July 30, 2007

Journal Entry 7 by wingjumpinginwing from Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Thursday, August 16, 2007

Received from Marcenda as a RABCK. I''m really looking forward to reading this--thanks, Marcenda! I will pass it on when I''m finished.

Journal Entry 8 by wingjumpinginwing from Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Tuesday, January 15, 2008

I enjoyed this book very much. It gave a vivid picture of McCourt's experiences in New York.

I offered this in Firegirl's Biography/Memoir Virtual Book Box, and it's been chosen by Marysgirl. I mailed it off to her today.

Journal Entry 9 by MarysGirl from Brooklyn, New York USA on Friday, January 25, 2008

Got it in the mail today. I really enjoyed Angela's Ashes and am looking forward to this one. Thanks jumpingin!

Journal Entry 10 by MarysGirl from Brooklyn, New York USA on Sunday, February 24, 2008

I finished this last week. Not as relentlessly depressing as Angela's Ashes but there's still enough "Black Irish" to make you cry every now and then; and enough honesty to make you laugh. McCourt is a brilliant storyteller. I particularly like how he does dialog as a stream of consciousness without quotes or attributions. You can see the back and forth between teacher and reluctant students, wife and drunken husband, army grunts and officers. Although I did get a bit tired of the sore eyes and bad teeth. I assume he had them fixed, but he used them metaphorically throughout the narrative to put himself in a pathetic light. But that is a small quibble. Highly recommend this book.

Reserved for McCourt spiral with Angela's Ashes

Journal Entry 11 by MarysGirl from Brooklyn, New York USA on Thursday, April 03, 2008

This book is on its way to pyrospiglet in Iraq for a OBCZ. Enjoy!

Released for the 2008 Leap Into the Wild 366 Challenge, 100 Wild Release Challenge 2008, The 2008 Keep 'Em Moving Challenge and
2008 Movie/TV/News Books Release Challenge.

Journal Entry 12 by pyrospiglet from North Little Rock, Arkansas USA on Saturday, April 19, 2008

Thanks so much! Will be adding this one to the Zone I'm starting.