corner corner Practical Demonkeeping

Practical Demonkeeping
by Christopher Moore | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingHoserLaurenwing of Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Sunday, March 18, 2007

status (set by TITurtle1): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingHoserLaurenwing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Sunday, March 18, 2007

I picked this up at a box sale at Bookcloseouts. I've already read this but I thought it would be good for trading/swapping.

From Amazon:
In Christopher Moore’s ingenious debut novel, we meet one of the most memorably mismatched pairs in the annals of literature. The good-looking one is one-hundred-year-old ex-seminarian and ""roads"" scholar Travis O’Hearn. The green one is Catch, a demon with a nasty habit of eating most of the people he meets. Behind the fake Tudor façade of Pine Cove, California, Catch sees a four-star buffet. Travis, on the other hand, thinks he sees a way of ridding himself of his toothy traveling companion. The winos, neo-pagans, and deadbeat Lotharios of Pine Cove, meanwhile, have other ideas. And none of them is quite prepared when all hell breaks loose.

My review:
This is my very first Christopher Moore book, and it's way outside my usual genres (this is part fantasy, part paranormal, part fiction). This story involves a person-eating demon named Catch, and his master (though his control is waining) Travis. I was beginning to get worried as Moore introduced more and more characters into the book. There was a point where I was beginning to forget who was who and would have to flip back to where they were introduced. At the end though, they all tied together nicely.
This was a very easy read, and provided some suspense to try and figure out how the lot of them were going to get rid of Catch. Overall, I thought the book was ok. I hear that Moore's work gets better as he writes more and this is his first book so I'll have to find the next one he's written.

Journal Entry 2 by TITurtle1 from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, April 27, 2007

Ann saved this for me and handed it to me the last day of th convention! Thanks. :-)