corner corner Born on a Blue Day

Born on a Blue Day
by Daniel Tammet | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by Vroomfondel of Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on 3/15/2007

status (set by -riley-): available

Journal Entry 1 by Vroomfondel from Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, March 15, 2007

Amazon.co.uk synopsis:
"I was born on 31 January 1979 - a Wednesday. I know it was a Wednesday, because the date is blue in my mind and Wednesdays are always blue, like the number nine or the sound of loud voices arguing.' Like the character Hoffman portrayed, he can perform extraordinary maths in his head, sees numbers as shapes, colours, textures and motions, and can learn to speak a language fluently from scratch in three days. He also has a compulsive need for order and routine. He eats exactly 45 grams of porridge for breakfast and cannot leave the house without counting the number of items of clothing he's wearing. If he gets stressed or unhappy he closes his eyes and counts. But in some ways Daniel is not all like the Rain Man. He is virtually unique amongst people who have severe autistic disorders in being capable of living a fully-functioning, independent life."

This is an absolutely amazing book, a real life 'Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time'. Daniel is able to write from an amazing perspective on his life. He's humble, thankful and inspiring. It is that self-awareness and ability to communicate that he has that makes this a wonderful book.

BookrayThe book has reached the last person on the ray, so consider it closed. If you want to read it, then PM the person who currently has it and ask them nicely!

Participants:
1. Lelley (UK, would prefer to ship in the UK, but can post internationally)
2. notingnothing (UK, would prefer to ship in the UK, but can post internationally)
3. AuntNub (USA, can only ship to the US)
4. KarenZero (USA, would prefer to ship in the US, but can post internationally)
5. MyssCyn (USA, would prefer to ship in the US, but can post internationally by surface mail)
6. Moops (USA, will post anywhere)
7. skcreader (USA, will post anywhere)
8. brewski (Canada, would prefer to ship within North America, but can post internationally by surface mail)
9. -riley- (Canada, would prefer to ship within North America)

Journal Entry 2 by lelley from Guildford, Surrey United Kingdom on Monday, March 26, 2007

Received this in the post today.
Will try and get it out to the next person in around a week.

Journal Entry 3 by lelley from Guildford, Surrey United Kingdom on Thursday, April 05, 2007

finished this today.
Enjoyable but complicated read.

Journal Entry 4 by notingnothing from Sidcup, Kent United Kingdom on Thursday, April 12, 2007

Arrived safely today, thank you. Am looking forward to reading this. Hope to start it over the weekend.

Journal Entry 5 by notingnothing from Sidcup, Kent United Kingdom on Monday, April 16, 2007

This was absolutely fascinating. Agree with Gothmarcus that Daniel is what makes this book. His writing style is amazing - it's so clear and logical, yet conveys so much. I was particularly interested by his childhood & time at school and how his problems first began to show themselves.

Thanks Gothmarcus for organising this bookring. Great book! Have PMd AuntNub for an address.

Journal Entry 6 by AuntNub from Tarrytown, New York USA on Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Just received in the mail today ~ hooray! I look forward to reading this book & hope to start it over the next day or 2. Thanks for sharing it, Gothmarcus!

Journal Entry 7 by AuntNub at via DHL in to the next participant, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, May 20, 2007

Released 10 yrs ago (5/22/2007 UTC) at via DHL in to the next participant, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

This was a truly interesting look into the world of Asperger's/Autism. Fascinating how he sees #'s, etc. I also agree that it's Daniel that makes this book. Once again, thanks for sharing, Gothmarcus!

Am sending this on to KarenZero via DHL on Tuesday, May 22nd. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 8 by KarenZero from Brooklyn, New York USA on Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Caught! Will read ASAP.

Journal Entry 9 by KarenZero from Brooklyn, New York USA on Monday, May 28, 2007

This was an interesting, quick and easy read. I'd love to be able to learn a language in a week (minus the problems with the social skills, of course)!

On to the next reader this week.

Journal Entry 10 by KarenZero at Controlled Release in Controlled Release, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Released 10 yrs ago (5/30/2007 UTC) at Controlled Release in Controlled Release, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases

Sent on to the next reader.

Journal Entry 11 by wingMyssCynwing from San Antonio, Texas USA on Monday, June 04, 2007

Thank you! I received the book today and look forward to starting it this weekend. It looks very interesting.

Journal Entry 12 by wingMyssCynwing from San Antonio, Texas USA on Friday, June 08, 2007

This is a fasinating book. I am always interested in how people think. How they arrive at the conclusions they do and how they approach problems. It was interesting to see the simple language of the book coming from the mind of a man who can do math the way he does. Made me dizzy to think of it. Kind of like thinking about infinity....
Will mail to Moops tomorrow.

Journal Entry 13 by Moops from Tucson, Arizona USA on Wednesday, June 27, 2007

sent to me as a book ray. I received it yesterday and I'm half way through it. Very interesting so far.

Journal Entry 14 by Moops from Tucson, Arizona USA on Thursday, July 12, 2007

I very much enjoyed this book. It's a quick read and well written. It was a facinating journey into the mind of a highly functioning autistic person. My daughter works w/ autistic kids w/ pool therapy. This book was even more interesting to me because of that. I was surpised at how well Daniel (the author) could describe his feelings and views. In many parts of the book his descriptions and writing was as good as any well known author. I'm glad he is so open to allowing doctors to run tests on him and write about himself so perhaps we can get a better idea of just what autisim is and how we may help people w/ this condition. It seems to be so much more prevalent today than in the past. I will now send this along. Thanks for doing a book ray w/ this book.

Journal Entry 15 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Friday, July 13, 2007

Sent today to the next person :>)

CAUGHT IN TUCSON AZ USA

Journal Entry 16 by skcreader from Roanoke, Virginia USA on Monday, July 16, 2007

I'm eager to read this book - oh,and thanks for the CD. I'll listen and see how I like it!

Journal Entry 17 by skcreader from Roanoke, Virginia USA on Sunday, August 19, 2007

Enjoyable read about a syndrome I find intriguing....ready to pass on to the next reader in line...

Journal Entry 18 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Monday, September 03, 2007

Found this in the mailbox today, will begin reading this very soon. Thanks for sharing this Gothmarcus.

Journal Entry 19 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Thursday, September 20, 2007

This was quite an interesting and unique book. I found it fascinating to gain some insight into how Daniel's mind works and often found myself trying to imagine how Daniel visualized numbers. Despite the illustrations in the book, I was still only able to see plain old digits :)

Thanks again for sharing this Gothmarcus. I have -riley-'s address in hand so should be mailing this out tomorrow or early next week.

Journal Entry 20 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Friday, September 21, 2007

Dropped in the mailbox for -riley- this afternoon.

Journal Entry 21 by -riley- from Kelowna, British Columbia Canada on Tuesday, October 16, 2007

I loved this book! I read it in 2 days and was fascinated by it.