corner corner Ghost Heart (Black Swan)

Ghost Heart (Black Swan)
by Cecilia Samartin | Literature & Fiction
Registered by havanasmiles of Offenburg, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Wednesday, March 14, 2007

status (set by wonks): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by havanasmiles from Offenburg, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Memories of travels to the island and its issues, may it find readers that share the feelings for the country.

Journal Entry 2 by havanasmiles at Zahnarztpraxis Tabellion Hauptstraße in Offenburg, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Released 7 yrs ago (3/14/2007 UTC) at Zahnarztpraxis Tabellion Hauptstraße in Offenburg, Baden-Württemberg Germany

Journal Entry 3 by wingDEESSEwing from Erstein, Alsace France on Friday, March 16, 2007

Originally I wanted to hunt the book about Frida Kahlo in the Café Gmeiner - which was already gone:-( Then I checked in the "Bürgerbüro" the house number of the dentist's and - went down all the way back to the bus station!
The dentist's (with a beautiful Buddha in the hall!) was about to close and I just asked the assistant and.... YES!!! She remembered and brought me the book. ("Is it OK if I just give it to you?") I profited to explain a bit the system of "Bookcrossing" and then went on to Strasbourg to our monthly meetup, where I could tell my "adventures" while hunting for this book!

You made my day, havanasmiles (Christine?)!
The book sounds interesting, but I don't know when I will find time to read it - if I manage before July, I'll take it with me to Wales and release it there!

Journal Entry 4 by wingDEESSEwing from Erstein, Alsace France on Monday, August 06, 2007

I liked the book a lot!
Well, to be frank, the beginning was a bit boring (how they grew up, how Alicia fell in love with Tony, the education by the nuns...) - but seen from now that I've finished the book it was important to understand why and how they became so close, nearly closer than sisters.

I didn 't really know a lot about the revolution in Cuba and what it meant/means for the people there, what influences tourism has on the country and how hard everyday live can be there. I think it was a bit like that in the GDR, though.
The experience of the "exile-Cubans" in the USA is described very intensely - on the one hand, they long to be back in their country which they love, on the other hand, some don't want to support Castro by going back there as a tourist, some try to become a "real" American (like our heroine's sister), and she only gave her "Ghost Heart" to America.

From the point on when Alicia dies (beautifully written, very poetic!) the book got very exciting - will she manage to get her niece's visum, will they manage to get on the ship...?
The sacrifice of the man who was in jail with Tony (while the three of them are in the small boat) is quite shocking, though. But what they yell out into the ocean is worth quoting:
"'One day Cuba will be free and returned to the people who love her most, and Castro's lies will choke him like a noose around his neck!'
I stood up next to him: 'And when they bury him in the ground, we'll dance on his grave!'
Lucinda awoke and yelled above us both, catching us unawares:'He's a son of a bitch!'
We laughed so hard that the boar rocked and we almost lost the oars. Then we observed the silent undulating sea, unperturbed by our declarations.
'I guess you're right,' Manuel said. 'No matter what happens now, we're free.'" (p. 365)

Jeremy's love is very touching, too.

The book will travel with me to England (end of August) and I hope that someone will pick it up, read it, enjoy it as much as we did - and make a journal entry!

Journal Entry 5 by wingDEESSEwing at Hannah Peschar Sculpture Garden in Ockley, Surrey United Kingdom on Thursday, August 30, 2007

Released 6 yrs ago (8/24/2007 UTC) at Hannah Peschar Sculpture Garden in Ockley, Surrey United Kingdom

In a tree near the beautiful sculpture 'Angel' by Tim Shaw

Journal Entry 6 by wonks on Thursday, October 18, 2007

Thank you for releasing this book. What a wonderful surprise! Found it in the Turkish Tent at Painshill in Surrey on Wednesday 17 October, England. Intend to read it and release it in Sicily when I go there on Sunday.

Journal Entry 7 by wonks on Monday, October 29, 2007

I released the book in the Villa Comune high in the little perched town of Taormina in Sicily, yesterday. It seemed appropriate as the garden was donated by an English woman as she loved the garden so much.
The book "grabbed" me and I found that I did not want to put it down though I thought the ending was a bit weak and contrived. Without revealing too much to the next reader, the book is set in Cuba from the sixties to the eighties. As I am 69 years old I well remember the horrors depicted through the media at the time, but it was good to read it from the point of view of people going through the experience.
I sat in the garden until the book was taken, so I wish the next reader well.
I will now be sending for labels and kits as I love passing on books that I have read and I think this is a lovely way of finding out what happens to them.

Journal Entry 8 by wonks at porta catania in Taormina, Sicilia Italy on Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Released 6 yrs ago (10/26/2007 UTC) at porta catania in Taormina, Sicilia Italy