corner corner THE WHALE RIDER

THE WHALE RIDER
by witi ihimaera | Other
Registered by winggypsysmomwing of Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on 3/11/2007

status (set by gypsysmom): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by winggypsysmomwing from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Sunday, March 11, 2007

I've been wanting to read this book since I joined the 5x5x5 challenge last year as the book from New Zealand for the Oceana region. So when I saw it yesterday at the best book store in Winnipeg, McNally Robinson, at half price I just had to get it.

Journal Entry 2 by winggypsysmomwing from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Tuesday, October 02, 2007

An utterly wonderful book! It was a window into the Maori culture and their unique relationship with the ocean and the life within the ocean.

This summer I had the fortune to take a ferry from Bella Coola to Port Hardy and saw humpback whales along the way. They are so awesome. It is hard for me to believe that people can hunt and kill these magnificent creatures. I was reminded of Farley Mowat's book "A Whale for the Killing" which details the awful treatment a whale stranded in Newfoundland received. I really hope we have progressed from these horrendous acts but according to this article in Wikipedia whaling is still pursued in many countries, including Canada.

Journal Entry 3 by winggypsysmomwing from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Wednesday, October 03, 2007

I'm going to release this book for the World Animal Day. Please check this website

Journal Entry 4 by winggypsysmomwing at Portage & Main in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Thursday, October 04, 2007

Released 10 yrs ago (10/4/2007 UTC) at Portage & Main in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

I left this book on the stand near the Lottery Ticket booth in the Portage and Main Circus (under street level). This release is for the 2007 You're Such an Animal challenge and for the 2007 Animal Day challenge.