corner corner The Perks of Being a Wallflower

The Perks of Being a Wallflower
by Stephen Chbosky | Literature & Fiction
Registered by rainflower of Tucson, Arizona USA on 3/11/2007

status (set by yourotherleft): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by rainflower from Tucson, Arizona USA on Sunday, March 11, 2007

This was pretty good. Not exactly what I thought it would be, but still okay.

Journal Entry 2 by rainflower from Tucson, Arizona USA on Thursday, March 15, 2007

Sending to Yourotherleft as a RABCK.

Journal Entry 3 by yourotherleft from Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania USA on Sunday, April 01, 2007

This came in the mail this past week. Looking forward to reading it. Thanks for making a wish come true! =D

Journal Entry 4 by yourotherleft from Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, June 15, 2007

I really liked this book, more than I thought I would. There are so many books out there that claim to be "coming of age" tales where the main character has some sort of beautiful, transcendant experience and suddenly they're grown up and everything is okay and they're all the better for it. But I think this book is closer to the mark in terms of reality. Growing up and "coming of age" is hard and it doesn't just happen. There are moments when you feel good and you feel "infinite" when everything comes together but then, so much of the time you feel awkward and out of place and like you're playing a game nobody told you the rules of just like the main character in this book. And yes, he comes out on the other side, but the process isn't pretty and it doesn't just come to end with one grand experience. I think this book captures a lot of what I'm feeling about "growing up" right now and also creates an awkward but lovable character in the form of Charlie - the wallflower. I've never been much for books written in the form of letters, but "Charlie's" letters are both vivid and honest. They bring him and the people he loves to life in all their struggles and their victories.

Thanks for sharing this book, rainflower. I'll be passing it on to SandDanz through the teen VBB on bookobsessed.com.