corner corner The Cobra Event

The Cobra Event
by Richard Preston | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by PeaMartian of Durham, County Durham United Kingdom on Sunday, March 11, 2007

status (set by suedo): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by PeaMartian from Durham, County Durham United Kingdom on Sunday, March 11, 2007

Welcome to Bookcrossing!

This book is a cracking good read, and certainly recommended to anyone who enjoys Michael Crichton's work. Not recommended to anyone who is already terrified of becoming a victim of germ warfare!

I've also read a couple of Richard Preston's non-ficton books (The Hot Zone and First Light), both of which were outstanding. If you could only read one of his books, I would recommend that you choose one of these non-fiction ones rather than the fictional The Cobra Event. That said, I certianly enjoyed The Cobra Event, and feel I must warn you that it's a bit of a page turner...

Enjoy!

Journal Entry 2 by PeaMartian at OBCZ - Durham Cathedral - closed 2009 in Durham, County Durham United Kingdom on Saturday, March 31, 2007

Released 7 yrs ago (3/31/2007 UTC) at OBCZ - Durham Cathedral - closed 2009 in Durham, County Durham United Kingdom

Released at monthly Durham meet today...

Journal Entry 3 by suedo from Spennymoor, County Durham United Kingdom on Saturday, March 31, 2007

peamartian tempted me with this, but it might go on my Partner's TBR stack first

Journal Entry 4 by suedo from Spennymoor, County Durham United Kingdom on Monday, July 23, 2007

My partner found it gruesome and struggled with it.
I started it while I'm at home ill with an unknown bug (maybe not the wisest choice, but I know that I'm not this bad, so that's OK)

My two thoughts so far are:

If you watch CSI and all the related spin offs you'll be fine, but the use of all the correct terms actually breaks up the pace of the story, if you are not familiar with them. I found that frustrating but am persevering.

This book was published in 1997 and feels like a bit of a propaganda tool, especailly as there is a section at the back entitled "The reality behind the cobra event" Maybe that's just me being cynical, and maybe by the end I'll come back and comment further

Journal Entry 5 by suedo from Spennymoor, County Durham United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 24, 2007

I found my interest wanning towards the end. It was a good book, just not quite as gripping as some I've read.
I think anything would have a hard time following HP7.

I do feel the author has a very blatent agenda, and while he is not incorrect, I think it is important to retain perspective on this kind of thing.

Journal Entry 6 by suedo at Botanic Gardens in Durham, County Durham United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Released 6 yrs ago (7/28/2007 UTC) at Botanic Gardens in Durham, County Durham United Kingdom

At the picnic meet up. (I have got my goodies ready to bring too)