corner corner So Long a Letter (African Writers Series)

So Long a Letter (African Writers Series)
by Mariama Ba | Women's Fiction
Registered by hendertuckian of Henderson, Nevada USA on 3/10/2007

status (set by Monki-ies): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by hendertuckian from Henderson, Nevada USA on Saturday, March 10, 2007

reading for Olympic Challenge Senegal.
This book should be required reading. In addition to insight of the culture of Senegal it was insight to a woman's weariness and reward, frustration and satifaction all from the same people and events. One of the best books I have read for this challenge.
On its way to blackwidow1971.

Journal Entry 2 by blackwidow1971 from Southampton, Hampshire United Kingdom on Sunday, March 23, 2008

Received safely from Hendertuckian for the Olympic Challenge!

Journal Entry 3 by blackwidow1971 from Southampton, Hampshire United Kingdom on Monday, May 19, 2008

I agree - what a great book. I read it just after finishing Carol Shields' "Unless" and it made a great companion piece, showing that no matter where they live, women go through similar experiences of feeling helpless in a man's world. But we get through it!

(BlackWidow bursts into chorus of "Sisters Are Doing It For Themselves" and runs off to re-read Polish feminist poet Anna Swir....)

Journal Entry 4 by wingAnnimanniwing from Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, November 13, 2008

The book arrived safely in Helsinki and after reading the previous entries, I can't wait to start reading it. Thanks very much, blackwidow1971!

Journal Entry 5 by wingAnnimanniwing from Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, March 27, 2010

Finally got around to reading this - sorry for taking so long!

I agree with the previous journallers: this is an important book and, although primarily about male domination and double standards in Africa, has universal appeal as well. At first I wasn't sure whether I liked the letter format, but after a while it didn't bother me anymore. I liked the way Bâ showed understanding to women with different solutions to similar problems and even to the competitor of her heroine (not the competitor's mother though!). I can well understand why this book was a sensation when it was first published in Senegal.

Thanks very much for sharing this with me, blackwidow1971! Next, the book is off to chucklesthescot, who chose it from the European book relay.

Journal Entry 6 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, March 29, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (3/29/2010 UTC) at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

On its way to Scotland. Enjoy, chuckles!

Journal Entry 7 by Chucklesthescot from Paisley, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Thank you for this bookrelay book and the fantastic postcard of Kenya which will happily join my postcard collection! This book will be perfect for the African bookbox when I have read it.

Journal Entry 8 by Chucklesthescot from Paisley, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, April 11, 2010

I didn't really enjoy this one as much as I hoped I might but it does add a new country to my reading challenge! For such a short book I found that in places the story seemed to drag along at a slow pace. I'm not a patient reader at the best of times so I struggled to get through it. I do understand why it was an important book and it was a good read in some parts, showing how difficult life can be for women around the world.

This will go into the African bookbox this summer.

Journal Entry 9 by Chucklesthescot at Paisley, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, August 01, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (8/2/2010 UTC) at Paisley, Scotland United Kingdom

Sending this book out as a prize in my non-holiday rabck! I hope this will be a welcome addition to your collection!

Journal Entry 10 by Monki-ies at Granville, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, August 21, 2010

chucklesthescot your a star. Thank very much for this and also for the 2 unregestered african childrens books. They will all go to the Tamale regional library in northern Ghana and i know the kids will appreciate them.

Journal Entry 11 by Monki-ies at Chris' place in Accra, Greater Accra Ghana on Sunday, March 25, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (3/25/2012 UTC) at Chris' place in Accra, Greater Accra Ghana

Thank you for taking the time to look the bookcrossing site up. For me, this is all about the love of the written word and i hope you enjoy every word of this book.