corner corner 84, Charing Cross Road

84, Charing Cross Road
by Helene Hanff, Frank Doel, Marks & Co. | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by wingbookczukwing of Charleston, South Carolina USA on Sunday, March 18, 2007

status (set by kotus123): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingbookczukwing from Charleston, South Carolina USA on Sunday, March 18, 2007

A battered and scarred copy of a wonderful book that I have rescued from the trash, with the thoughts that it can still make the rounds, with an equally battered copy of The Dutchess of Bloomsbury Street, to BookCrossers. What a sentence!

One of my alltime favorite books. Through the actual letters between a used book store in London and an avid reader in the US, it is possible to get a glimpse of the world in 1949 and after. I always find myself fascinated by the correspondence and daunted by Hanff's reading list. Here's a partial list of the books mentioned in the book. Maybe I should use it as my "I need to read these books" list?

Partial list of the books Helen Hanff ordered from Marks & Co. and mentioned in 84 Charing Cross Road (Talk about an impressive Mount TBR!)

* Austen, Jane. Pride and Prejudice, (1813)
* Arkwright, Francis trans. Memoirs of the Duc de Saint-Simon
* Belloc, Hillaire. Essays.
* Catullus - Loeb Classics
* Chaucer, Geoffrey The Canterbury Tales translated by Hill,published by Longmans 1934)
* Delafield, E.M., Diary of a Provincial Lady
* Dobson, Austen ed.. The Sir Roger De Coverley Papers
* Donne, John Sermons
* Elizabethan Poetry
* Graham, Kenneth, The Wind in the Willows
* Greek New Testament
* Grolier Bible
* Hazlitt, William. Selected Essays Of William Hazlitt 1778 To 1830, Nonesuch Press edition.
* Horace - Loeb Classics
* Hunt, Leigh. Essays.
* Johnson, Samuel, On Shakespeare, 1908, Intro by Walter Raleigh
* Jonson, Ben. Timber
* Lamb, Charles. Essays of Elia, (1823).
* Landor, Walter Savage. Vol II of The Works and Life of Walter Savage Landor (1876) - Imaginary Conversations
* Latin Bible
* Latin New Testament
* Latin Vulgate Dictionary
* Leonard, R. M. ed. The Book-Lover's Anthology, (1911).
* Newman, John Henry. Discourses on the Scope and Nature of University Education. Addressed to the Catholics of Dublin- "'Idea of a University" (1852 and 1858)
* Pepys, Samuel. Pepys Diary - 4 Volume Braybrook ed. (1926, revised ed)
* Plato's Four Socratic Dialogues, 1903
* Quiller-Couch, Arthur, The Oxford Book Of English Verse
* Quiller-Couch, Arthur, The Pilgrim's Way
* Quiller-Couch, Arthur, Oxford Book of English Prose
* Sappho - Loeb Classics
* St. John, Christopher Ed. Ellen Terry and Bernard Shaw : A Correspondence / The Shaw - Terry Letters : A Romantic Correspondence
* Sterne, Lauence, The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman, (1759)
* Stevenson, Robert Louis. Virginibus Puerisque
* de Tocqueville, Alexis Journey to America (1831–1832)
* Wyatt, Thomas. Poems of Thomas Wyatt
* Walton, Izaak. The Complete Angler . J Major's (2nd ed., 1824).
* Walton, Izaak. The Lives of - John Donne - Sir Henry Wotton - Richard Hooker - George Herbert & Robert Sanderson
* Woolf, Virginia, the Common Reader, 1932.

From the Publisher
It all began with a letter inquiring about second-hand books, written by Helene Hanff in New York, and posted to a bookshop at 84, Charing Cross Road in London. As Helene's sarcastic and witty letters are responded to by the stodgy and proper Frank Doel of 84, Charing Cross Road, a relationship blossoms into a warm, charming, feisty love affair.

Journal Entry 2 by wingAntof9wing from Lakewood, Colorado USA on Wednesday, April 11, 2007

(Different cover than pictured)

I'm happy to have this copy -- well-loved though it may be :)

Here's the link to the copy I read and my comments on this charming book. I think when I'm done with "Duchess", I may make the two a bookring, since although the insides are totally intact, the covers make wild releasing a bit dubious.

Thanks Czukie! You're a dear :)

Journal Entry 3 by wingAntof9wing from Lakewood, Colorado USA on Tuesday, June 12, 2007

OK -- the bookring is created, and these books are ready to head off into the sunset! Here is the book this one will travel with, and below is the ring order. I'm not a real stickler for "only have this book 3 weeks" or anything like that, but since they are so short and you'll probably read them quickly, I recommend that you PM the person after you for an address once you receive them. That way, as soon as you're finished, you can send them on :) My only hope (well, 2 actually) is that they keep travelling. And last, I hope you enjoy these books as much as I did!

Klaradyn -- South Africa
Pell -- Italy
brunton11 -- Salford, UK
Kryssa -- UK
Haugtussa -- Norway
chich -- France
Ibis3 -- Canada
cafekat -- Pennsylvania US
kotus123 -- Germany It's here!
lghtheart4 -- Maryland US

Journal Entry 4 by klaradyn from Praha, Praha Czech Republic on Thursday, June 21, 2007

This arrived yesterday. Thanks for sending it on, Antof9. Will make another journal entry when I've read it.

Journal Entry 5 by klaradyn from Praha, Praha Czech Republic on Tuesday, June 26, 2007

I loved this book so much. It's completely impossible to put down. Keep some tissues nearby for the ending!

After reading it, I saw a copy in a secondhand bookshop and snapped it up. My sister started reading it and also wants her own copy. And some book-loving friends don't know it yet, but they're getting this for their birthdays :-)

Sent the book on to Pell today. Unfortunately it will take quite a while to get there, as I had to use surface mail.

Journal Entry 6 by Pell from Canino, Lazio Italy on Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Arrived safe and sound from South Africa today 22nd August 2007

Journal Entry 7 by Pell from Canino, Lazio Italy on Monday, September 10, 2007

I loved this book, it was so twee, I saw a film some time ago and i am sure it was 84 Charing Cross Rd. Such a clever idea, nice easy read. Will forward it on.

Journal Entry 8 by wingbrunton11wing from Salford, Lancashire United Kingdom on Monday, October 15, 2007

Received over the weekend - Thanks antof9 and Pell for sharing and sending.

Journal Entry 9 by wingbrunton11wing from Salford, Lancashire United Kingdom on Tuesday, November 06, 2007

What a lovely book - I'll be keeping an eye out for the film. The ending took me by surprise too.

I've a ISO for Kryssa on the forum as not sure if PMs have been getting through.

Edited 13/11/07: Unable to get in touch with Kryssa so will get this book in the post to Haugtussa tomorrow.

Journal Entry 10 by wingHaugtussawing from Stavanger, Rogaland fylke Norway on Friday, November 23, 2007

The books arrived today.
Thank you for passing them on.

Journal Entry 11 by wingHaugtussawing from Stavanger, Rogaland fylke Norway on Thursday, December 06, 2007

A very sweet book about the developing relationship between friends, but it also portraits the stereotypical differences between the American and English. (At least the way Norwegians look upon the two nations!)

I'll look out for the film!

Journal Entry 12 by chich from Sant Antoni de Portmany, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain on Sunday, January 06, 2008

Image hosting by Photobucket Book received today, thanks a lot Haugtussa!

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL PREVIOUS READERS!!!

Journal Entry 13 by chich from Sant Antoni de Portmany, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain on Monday, January 07, 2008

What a delightful read! I opened the book to skim through it last night and ended up reading it in one sitting:) I also loved the fact that this was a battered copy, it adds to the charm of it all;) I had no idea there had been a film adaptation of the book so I'll keep an eye out for it:)

Thanks for sharing Antof9!

I've already started reading "The Duchess of Bloomsbury Street" and will journal again when the books are ready to travel again:)

Updated January 9: I've PM ibis3 for her address and will send her the book as soon as she gives it to me.

Journal Entry 14 by chich from Sant Antoni de Portmany, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain on Thursday, January 24, 2008

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Book sent to Ibis3 today, enjoy!

2008 Keep Them Moving Challenge

Journal Entry 15 by wingIbis3wing from Newcastle, Ontario Canada on Thursday, January 31, 2008

Just arrived safely. It may be a couple of weeks until I can read it though!

Journal Entry 16 by wingIbis3wing from Newcastle, Ontario Canada on Sunday, February 24, 2008

I didn't know much about this book before I read it — never seen the movie and only knew that the title was the address of a bookstore. Like all fellow bibliophiles, it seems, I found this book to be quite a delight. It was surely inspired to decide to publish the correspondence. I love Helene's blustery persona & Frank's quiet responses. Thanks for sharing!

PM'd cafekat.

Journal Entry 17 by wingIbis3wing from Newcastle, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Mailed out today.

Journal Entry 18 by cafekat from Rotonda West, Florida USA on Friday, March 14, 2008

This little book arrived in the mail on Wednesday. For some reason, our morning newspaper did not get delivered on Thursday. Thank goodness I had this little jewel of a book. I picked it up and devoured it while I had a few cups of coffee. Helene reminded me of myself in some respects and I truly enjoyed the developing relationship between her and Frank and then the rest Marks and Co.
Thanks so much for offering this up to the rest of us. Again, I've discovered something new through Bookcrossing. I would never have picked this one up on my own.

Journal Entry 19 by cafekat at In person in By hand, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, April 06, 2008

Released 6 yrs ago (4/6/2008 UTC) at In person in By hand, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

passed along to kindkat....enjoy!

Journal Entry 20 by kindkat from Red Lion, Pennsylvania USA on Monday, April 14, 2008

I liked this book a lot. It was interesting and touching. Easy to read and I found the characters to be quite human and "know-able." Will be passing it back as soon as I finish its "twin." Thanks so much for sharing with me!

Journal Entry 21 by cafekat at By mail in By mail, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, May 18, 2008

Released 6 yrs ago (5/16/2008 UTC) at By mail in By mail, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

mailed to kotus123 ... enjoy!

Journal Entry 22 by kotus123 from Lübeck, Schleswig-Holstein Germany on Monday, May 26, 2008

Just received the books (also Bloomsbury) in the mail today, 26 May '08, and what joy! She brings (why are books 'she'? - cos they bring pleasure, he he) double joy, does 84. I've absolutely longed to read her for, like, 20 years if not more - and had to cross continents to do it. Reason enough for jubilation one would think; but she's also the very first BC I'm holding. It feels like...I dont know. She speaks to me of human kindness - because the ring was over when I asked for it, and thanks to cafekat and kindkat, I'm able to read her at long last. Thank you, both of you. Shall journal over the weekend I guess - I'll be faster than ever this time ! Till then. S'long!

Journal Entry 23 by kotus123 from Lübeck, Schleswig-Holstein Germany on Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Well I finished it - twice!! First time I was really greedy - I went though slurpily ravenously - inelegantly - poor 84!

And then this week softly gently, nodding to all the phrases I remembered, stopping & chatting with them, sometimes sitting down for a cup of tea...LOL - I'm crazy I know.

I loved it - and though I felt slightly guilty about re reading (even though Ant so very generously said 'go ahead'), found that Helene applauded second readings and deplored once only and storing books forever in bookshelves. So its the one book booklovers should read without an exception!

I'm going to try and see if I can find some of her favourites, like Lives, that I havent met upto now. Donne was ofcourse my teenage idol - such passion and in such modern cadences too

"Goe and catch a falling star/ find with child a mandrake root/ but swear, nowhere/lives a woman true and faire." (GRRRRRR)

to this

"Busie olde foole the sunne, why dost thou thus
through windows and curtains, call on us
must to thy seasons lovers seasons run...

she is all sates and all princes, I..."

I'm already swooning...help!

So everybody who hasnt read 84 , get on to that keyboard and mail Ant - dont wait another second.

And Ant thatk you very very much for sharing this. I will mail by Friday as am rereading Bloomsbury now.