corner corner Snow Flower and the Secret Fan

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan
by Lisa See | Literature & Fiction
Registered by lesezeichen of Düsseldorf, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on 2/25/2007

status (set by Anmavi): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by lesezeichen from Düsseldorf, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Sunday, February 25, 2007

I enjoyed this book about the close friendship between two women in nineteenth-century China, and particularly the issue of footbinding. But does it live up to its hype?
It will be interesting to hear what the next reader thinks ;-)

Journal Entry 2 by shimi from Nordre Aker bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on Tuesday, March 06, 2007

This book arrived as a RABCK in my mailbox today. Thanks so much for sending it my way, lesezeichen!
I'm looking forward to reading it, and will report what I think when I'm done! :)

Journal Entry 3 by shimi from Nordre Aker bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on Monday, November 17, 2008

I had high expectations of this book, yet at the same time it has been hard for me to actually pick it up. When I recently read Pearl S. Buck's "The good earth" it was finally time, and I loved the extra perspective it gave me. This is an interesting story about female life in 19th century rural China, heartbreaking at times, an enjoyable read, but after finishing it I still feel that I'd expected more...

Journal Entry 4 by shimi at A friend, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Monday, December 15, 2008

Released 8 yrs ago (12/15/2008 UTC) at A friend, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases

Merry Christmas! :)
And I hope you haven't already read this one...

Journal Entry 5 by Bjorg from Reykjavík, Reykjavík (Höfuðborgar svæðið) Iceland on Monday, December 22, 2008

The book arrived today, thanks so much dear:) no, have not read this one yet:)

Journal Entry 6 by Bjorg from Reykjavík, Reykjavík (Höfuðborgar svæðið) Iceland on Friday, March 19, 2010

I loved the book!!! I found it to be so convincing and sad. It was also so interesting to learn more about the life of Chinese women during that period!!

I´m sorry that it took me so long to read it, for some reason I just kept pushing it back in the TBR mountain!! but I will make up for it by sending it to a new reader in next week:)

Journal Entry 7 by Bjorg at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, March 19, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (3/22/2010 UTC) at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

This book will now travel to my partner in the Easter Exchange game:)
I saw you had this book on your wishlist so I hope you will enjoy it:)
Happy Easter!!!

Journal Entry 8 by wingAnnimanniwing from Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, April 01, 2010

Thank you so much! And thanks for the napkins and the chocolate too. I'm just about to have a taste :) Happy Easter!

Journal Entry 9 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, January 26, 2014

Sorry for taking so long to read this wonderful book! I absolutely loved it. I think Lisa See manages very well in stepping into Lily's shoes (one can literally feel the pain!) and creating an authentic voice - even though the values and actions are sometimes very hard to swallow from a modern, western perspective. I've read a lot of historical fiction set in China but this book managed to teach me a lot more about what it was like to be a woman in 18th century China - about traditions, friendship, marriage, family, gender roles etc. Captivating!

Journal Entry 10 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (1/30/2014 UTC) at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

I offered this book on the Finnish forum and Anmavi requested it, so off it goes to Hanko next!

Journal Entry 11 by Anmavi at Hanko, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, February 03, 2014

Thank you so much for the book Annimanni! I can't wait to start reading it.