corner corner King Leopold's Ghost: A Story of Greed, Terror and Heroism

by Adam Hochschild | History
Registered by LeighBCD on 2/22/2007

status (set by LeighBCD): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by LeighBCD on Thursday, February 22, 2007

I bought this book after hearing an interview with the author on a Late Night Live podcast.

Journal Entry 2 by LeighBCD on Monday, December 22, 2008

A provocative account of the creation of The Congo and the appalling manner in which King Leopold ran it as his personal fiefdom. The book tells the awful tale of the human rights atrocities that were committed in the name of profit (until a young Englishman working at Antwerp port realised that ships came in from the Congo full of rubber but left for the Congo full of guns... what were all those guns needed for?

A very interesting book and one that I will be happy to share with the wider world to help publicise the genocide that took place there.

I hope whoever finds this book in the future gains insight and knowledge from it. It would be great if you could make a journal entry here to let me know where this book may travel in the future. Thanks very much and I hope you have enjoyed your Bookcrossing experience.

Journal Entry 3 by LeighBCD at ReaditSwapit exchanged by post for another book in Read it swap it., readitswapit.co.uk -- Controlled Releases on Monday, May 25, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (5/25/2009 UTC) at ReaditSwapit exchanged by post for another book in Read it swap it., readitswapit.co.uk -- Controlled Releases

I hope all future readers enjoy this book!