corner corner Barchester Towers

Barchester Towers
by Anthony Trollope | Literature & Fiction
Registered by alouettecre8 of Camberley, Surrey United Kingdom on 2/21/2007

status (set by keithpp): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by alouettecre8 from Camberley, Surrey United Kingdom on Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Not a Trollope fan, but I know a lot of people are.

Journal Entry 2 by alouettecre8 at Camberley library in Camberley, Surrey United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Released 10 yrs ago (4/10/2007 UTC) at Camberley library in Camberley, Surrey United Kingdom

Journal Entry 3 by keithpp from Farnborough, Hampshire United Kingdom on Monday, June 04, 2007

Found in Farnborough Library at 1635 Monday 4 June 2007 on the coffee table downstairs near the dinks machine.

Synchonicity: I was walking to the Library and on the way met my friend Bobby and we were discussing BookCrossing. Bobby thought it a brilliant idea. Bobby for many years used to own and run her own bookshop, The best second hand bookshop in Farnborough.

Synchonicity: The table on which I found the book was where I met my lovely Czech friend Iva almost one year ago to the day. One year and one week from the day we met she will be returning from Prague.

Journal Entry 4 by keithpp from Farnborough, Hampshire United Kingdom on Thursday, June 14, 2007

Barchester Towers is the second in a series, The Warden was the first, about church life.

Anthony Trollope was one of the first English writers to write a series of novels that formed a series.

I had to study The Warden by Anthony Trollope for English literature when I was at college and it put me off Trollope for life.

I hated the book. I remember lending my copy to my Grandmother and her telling me she found it a very interesting book, but that was not my impression.

And that was how it would have been until I heard a dramatisation of some of the Trollope novels on BBC Radio 4, in the Classic serial slot.

The Warden is about the infighting for a stipendiary post of warden.

The Radio 4 series brought it all to life, the politics, the snobbery, the corruption, of life in the church. I found it fascinating. It brought about a reappraisal of Trollope and he went up in my estimation.

My college experience though shows how introduction to the wrong books can easily destroy a love of books, love of reading, love of good literature.

Fortunately for me, it did not turn me off good literature, but is could easily have done so.

Journal Entry 5 by keithpp from Farnborough, Hampshire United Kingdom on Thursday, July 05, 2007

Passed to my friend Jenny, who wanted it as holiday reading, though I did not pass it to her until she had returned from her holiday