corner corner Angelica (ARC)

Angelica (ARC)
by Arthur Phillips | Literature & Fiction
Registered by yourotherleft of Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania USA on 2/12/2007

status (set by redhot-brat): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by yourotherleft from Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania USA on Monday, February 12, 2007

Phillips' stiff and evasive Victorian prose is an unusual but effective vehicle for his narrative which intertwines the diverging viewpoints of four characters on a tragic murder. Or was it a murder? And who was murdered? Phillips' story, while a compelling character study and a practiced look at the impact of strict gender and class roles of the late 1800s, and even a fascinating work of suspense, falls short only in its failure to sufficiently answer the many questions it provokes. Read this book for its stark portrayal of how different events can look through the eyes of different people. The paranoid Constance sees ghosts, the spiritualist Anne Montague sees something far more sinister, while Joseph, the husband, only sees a wife who is slowly going mad and a household that has escaped his control. This penetrating look into the life of one damaged family in Victorian London is certainly a worthwhile read.

Journal Entry 2 by yourotherleft at Postal Release in Postal release, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases on Friday, November 23, 2007

Released 9 yrs ago (11/20/2007 UTC) at Postal Release in Postal release, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases

Sent to geishabird who won it in the BookObsessed Historical Fiction swap. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by geishabird from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Thanks very much! This looks really interesting; thanks for offering it.

Journal Entry 4 by geishabird from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Saturday, August 16, 2008

I did enjoy this book, but at the same time I can't say that I always had an easy time with it. Describing the writing as "stiff and evasive" is certainly accurate. While I did feel that the tone and pacing of the book worked overall, it still made for a sometimes challenging read. I don't usually consider this a bad thing in a book; I *do* expect to have to do a little work when I'm reading. :) However, there were times when I found the narrative to be excessively dense and introspective. Still, I don't know if I can honestly call this a flaw, since, as I've said above, the style does seem to work with this elusive, shifting, uncertain story that never quite lets you get comfortable with what you know - or think you do. I thought the four different viewpoints worked well to cast light, bit by bit, on the characters and their actions, either real or imagined. Overall, I liked the book, but don't recommend it to anyone who's not up to the slow pace - it will probably drive them crazy. Thanks for sharing it!

Journal Entry 5 by redhot-brat from Delavan, Minnesota USA on Monday, January 12, 2009

This is one I haven't heard of yet. Sounds like a great read though. Thanks for the great choice, I will look forward to it.