corner corner Under the Tuscan Sun

Under the Tuscan Sun
by Frances Mayes | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by Bibliocrates of Fort Collins, Colorado USA on Saturday, February 10, 2007

status (set by rebeccaljames): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by Bibliocrates from Fort Collins, Colorado USA on Saturday, February 10, 2007

I got this book via TitleTrader.com to continue travelernnn's Bookray.

I had mixed feelings about this book. Clearly, Frances Mayes is a talented writer. She has an amazing ability to portray her travel experiences with poetic narrative, a talent not all writers possess. As much as I enjoyed her writing style, however, I found myself skimming through much of this book, particularly where food was the main focus, perhaps due to the fact that I do not cook much. Her descriptions of the life and food of Tuscany did not make me yearn to cook, but it did make me hunger for Italian food and to visit the country someday. I did thoroughly enjoy reading of the restoration mishaps, as I have had some experience with do-it-yourself projects gone awry!

I loved the movie, a bit different from the book, but fantastic nonetheless! I highly recommend it.

From the Publisher
Frances Mayes entered a wondrous new world when she began restoring an abandoned villa in the spectacular Tuscan countryside. There were unexpected treasures at every turn: faded frescos beneath the whitewash in her dining room, a vineyard under wildly overgrown brambles in the garden, and, in the nearby hill towns, vibrant markets and delightful people. In Under the Tuscan Sun, she brings the lyrical voice of a poet, the eye of a seasoned traveler, and the discerning palate of a cook and food writer to invite readers to explore the pleasures of Italian life and to feast at her table.

Journal Entry 2 by Bibliocrates from Fort Collins, Colorado USA on Saturday, February 10, 2007

Bookray order (subject to change):
Randomelement – Massachusetts, USA – US shipping only DONE
Bibliocrates – Alabama, USA – US shipping only DONE
mereader – California, USA – no preference DONE
rootmartin - Massachusetts, USA - no preference DONE
azuki - Florida, USA - US shipping only DONE
Rebeccaljames – Ohio, USA – US shipping only DONE

Journal Entry 3 by rootmartin from Marlborough, Massachusetts USA on Monday, February 26, 2007

Just received today. Thanks, Bibliocrates, for searching out this copy to continue the bookray.

I should be able to start reading it within a week or two and then I will send it on its way. Thanks so much!

Journal Entry 4 by rootmartin from Marlborough, Massachusetts USA on Monday, March 12, 2007

I have been working on this book for a week or so and just cannot get into it. I've been really wrestling with it. There is something about Mayes's writing style that really annoys me.

So, I've decided to bail on this bookring and pass the book along. I rarely put down a book before finishing it but this just feels like slogging through mud for me.

I'll PM the next participant for her address and pass it along.

Journal Entry 5 by rootmartin from Marlborough, Massachusetts USA on Monday, March 26, 2007

Mailed to azuki today to continue the bookray. Hope you enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by wingazukiwing from Miami, Florida USA on Thursday, April 05, 2007

This book has arrived. A few weeks ago I just finished The World in A Year by the same author, so I am glad to receive this. Unfortunately I have a few rings ahead of this and I don't have much reading time lately. But don't worry, this ring won't be stalled again!

Journal Entry 7 by rebeccaljames from Cincinnati, Ohio USA on Thursday, June 14, 2007

I just received this book today. Since I'm the last person on the bookray I am going to take my time and get caught up with other reading. After I read it I will pass it along to another.