corner corner Norwegian Wood

Norwegian Wood
by Haruki Murakami | Literature & Fiction
Registered by fushmush of Sydney, New South Wales Australia on 2/8/2007

status (set by AnonymousFinder): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by fushmush from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, February 08, 2007

When he hears her favourite Beatles song, Toru Watanabe recalls his first love Naoko, the girlfriend of his best friend Kizuki. Immediately he is transported back almost twenty years to his student days in Tokyo, adrift in a world of uneasy friendships, casual sex, passion, loss and desire - to a time when an impetuous young woman called Midori marches into his life and he has to choose between the future and the past.

Journal Entry 2 by fushmush from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, April 10, 2007

A "straight-forward" Murakami novel. It's missing some of the "magical" elements of Kafka on the Shore but it's still a unique novel. Very enjoyable.

Sending to my friend Hawkette in Australia!

Journal Entry 3 by Hawkette from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Friday, April 20, 2007

Found last night in a parcel sent by fushmush on the other side of the world. An inclusion in the parcel after both reading Kafka On The Shore, no doubt! Thanks!

Journal Entry 4 by Hawkette from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Monday, June 11, 2007

I let this book overcome me, wash over me - and I have been doing nothing but reading it for the last two days!! Rare! The sign of a good read.

I had to consult my "brother-in-law" about the tune for Norwegian Wood (shame!), but since then, have not managed to get it out of my head. The tune is lingering now that I have finished the book, too.

A beautiful story about a beautiful boy, and his loves, lost, and character.

And taking to the Melbourne Meet Up on Tuesday night...

Journal Entry 5 by UbSiA from Norderstedt, Schleswig-Holstein Germany on Tuesday, June 12, 2007

I picked this book up last night at the meet-up at Namaste Indian Restaurant on King St., Melbourne, Australia and I'm really looking forward to it.

12/07/2007: I finished this book last night and must confess that I really enjoyed this read. Of course, it doesn't have the magic of Kafka on the Shore, but to me was much more meaningful as Murakami's Novel South of the Border, West of the Sun. However, I read the latter in German (Gefährliche Geliebte), which might be the reason. Maybe the translation is not as good.
So, now I will see where Naoko and Watanabe will travel next and I will definitely look out for more of Murakami's stories.

Read as part of the 1 Year = 1 Country Challenge for Japan.

Journal Entry 6 by UbSiA at Victoria University, Footscray Park Campus in Footscray, Victoria Australia on Friday, August 03, 2007

Released 10 yrs ago (8/3/2007 UTC) at Victoria University, Footscray Park Campus in Footscray, Victoria Australia

Will probably leave it in the lady''s on the top floor...

Journal Entry 7 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Friday, August 03, 2007

this''ll sound funny some one left it near the hand dryer in the uni library toilet. I thought some one left it by mistake as lot of pple do. I picked it up thinking I should hand it to the info desk.

CAUGHT IN MELBOURNE VIVTORIA AUSTRALIA

Journal Entry 8 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Caught by the Student Centre in E Building, Victoria University, Footscray Park campus before Christmas 2007. This book travelled only a short distance from the library toilet to the new location. Thinking someone lost this book, flipped through pages and found Murakami's depiction of Japanese student life circa 1968-1970 rather authentic and interesting (I never tempted to read Murakami novels up until now).

CAUGHT IN MELBOURNE VICTORIA AUSTRALIA

Journal Entry 9 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Enjoyed reading this novel (an allegory disguised as a love story) very much. Found Murakami's reference to "cool" things circa 1968-70 (eg., names of then-popular songs, Miles Davis, Coltrane, etc.) amusing after 40 years. (I heard about these things from my uncle ;(

Once upon a time, in the pre mobile telephone era, a single telephone line for the entire university dormtory connected residents to the outside world. Relationships evolves at a majestic pace. Going off to a "walkabout" for a month without telling your girlfriend - no one will be waiting for you upon return

Midori's high school is probably Yotsuya Futaba Girls School (She enrolled in German language rather than French as she didn't want to owe anytyhing to her hated alma mater). Futaba graduates decimated the competition in fire-year French language classes as their French was so advanced compared to the rest of us.

Will release this book to a friend soon.

CAUGHT IN MELBOURNE VICTORIA AUSTRALIA