corner corner Portrait of a Killer: Jack the Ripper - Case Closed

by Patricia Cornwell | Nonfiction
Registered by Amber-moon on 2/5/2007

status (set by TexyDeb): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by Amber-moon on Monday, February 05, 2007

Bought from a very small independant trader on Bangor Pier,North Wales.My books cover is differant to this one.

Journal Entry 2 by Amber-moon on Monday, February 19, 2007

I only got half way through this and found that i was really bored with it.Patricia Cornwall has obviously put a lot of time and energy into researching her subject and is convinced that she has solved the mystery.I`m sure she`s quite possibly right but she seems to be labouring her point to a mind numbing extreme.
She fills entire chapters with information about people who are remotely connected with `the ripper` and i felt that she must have decided that by doing so that any reader would just have to be convinced that she is correct.
Sorry but abandoned this book in the interest of my own sanity and for the joy of something more interesting!

Journal Entry 3 by Amber-moon at passed to a friend in Mansfield, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Monday, February 19, 2007

Released 10 yrs ago (2/19/2007 UTC) at passed to a friend in Mansfield, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom

Given to a work friend/colleague.I hope you enjoy it more than i did mate!

Journal Entry 4 by Amber-moon on Monday, April 09, 2007

Given back to me by my work mate.He read it twice because he soaks up anything and everything about the `ripper`.He did say that he`s not convinced that Patricia Cornwall has got it right though!

Journal Entry 5 by YowlYY on Sunday, May 20, 2007

I signed up for a ring for this book back in 2003, but the ring got stuck with one of the first readers in the US straight away, and I made a mental note to keep an eye for the book. Finding it at the meetup was just the encouragement that I needed to break my resolution NOT to bring home books to read, as long as one shelf of the Mount TBR was read and released!!
Unfortunately, I have to say that will be joining the very tall Mount TBR for the moment, as I am - again - reading two rings right now...but don't despair, its time will arrive, eventually!
I am intrigued by the poor reviews, as I remember that it was such a hit when it first came out, but of course what is highly celebrated at times doesn't necessarily speaks for quality... I shall post my comment on a new JE once I've read it... and in the meantime, thanks for sharing :)

Journal Entry 6 by YowlYY on Friday, May 16, 2008

Unlike Amber-moon, I thought that Cornwell's analysis and research made sense, and I am willing to believe that our artist was certainly what I'd call a "dodgy character".
I thought I would find the book dry, however, apart from some parts at the middle of the book, where my interest was not so focussed, I have to say that it is an easy read that goes down as well as a good novel. However, now it's time to read some more Kay Scarpetta stories.

Journal Entry 7 by YowlYY at on Saturday, May 17, 2008

Released 8 yrs ago (5/17/2008 UTC) at

Downstairs at the meetup.

Journal Entry 8 by Pookledo from Loughborough, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Sunday, May 18, 2008

Picked up from the meet.

Journal Entry 9 by Pookledo at A Trade, A Trade -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, September 10, 2009

Released 7 yrs ago (9/10/2009 UTC) at A Trade, A Trade -- Controlled Releases

Posting to a swap-bot member. hope you like it!

Journal Entry 10 by TexyDeb on Sunday, September 27, 2009

I just got this book and will start reading it today. Patricia Cornwell is an excellent writer. I have read many of her books and enjoyed every one of them . I have no doubts that I will enjoy this book. Amber-moon is on the book cover but the person I caught it from is Pookledo in a swap on www.swap-bot.com. thank you pookeldo