corner corner Winter's Bone

Winter's Bone
by Daniel Woodrell | Literature & Fiction
Registered by newk of Adelaide, South Australia Australia on 2/3/2007

status (set by quizzical): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by newk from Adelaide, South Australia Australia on Saturday, February 03, 2007

The site gave me two copies and two BCIDs. so rather than delete one, which I couldn't do anyway, I got another copy!

A wonderful story of a poor family living in the Ozark Hills. Dad has disappeared and the house will be taken away by the bail folk if he doesn't make his upcoming court appearance.
The book's strength, however is in the delightful, almost lyrical, writing. Here is my favourite example (page 43):

"While Dad was in prison the rule had been to never see the same stud three nights. One night is forgot like a fart, two nights like a pang, but after three nights lain together there is hurt, and to soothe the hurt there will be night four, and five, and nights unnumbered. The heart's in it then, spinning dreams, and torment is on the way. The heart makes dreams seem like ideas"

Very sad, very graphic and I can only re-emphasise the class of the writing. Has become my numbaone pick for 2007

Lent to Dunc, non bookcrosser

The picture is lifted from a free service of Ozark photographs. I can just imagine the families wandering around here.

Journal Entry 2 by newk from Adelaide, South Australia Australia on Friday, April 27, 2007

This book has now been read by a few friends and continues to do the rounds

Journal Entry 3 by newk from Adelaide, South Australia Australia on Saturday, October 13, 2007

quizzical has it

Journal Entry 4 by quizzical from Adelaide, South Australia Australia on Saturday, October 13, 2007

Received from newk last night.

Maybe I'll be able to discuss it with Dunc...