corner corner Echo

Echo
by Francesca Lia Block | Teens
Registered by EllyMae58 of San Diego, California USA on 2/2/2007

status (set by CheriePie): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by EllyMae58 from San Diego, California USA on Friday, February 02, 2007

Interconnected short stories bring depth to this tale of a Los Angeles girl fleeing her personal demons. Echo is the unremarkable (or so she thinks) daughter of a fantastically beautiful and talented mother, and an artist father. Her parents are besotted with each other, and despite her mother's loving attention, Echo feels lost. She seeks comfort and validation in casual sex and struggles with depression, anorexia, and feelings of inadequacy. A suicide attempt is thwarted by a young man with wings who rescues her, but disappears. Echo's story is rounded out by the stories of her parents, her lovers, and the child that one of those lovers fathers with another woman. Though Echo becomes a peripheral figure in these chapters, the final stories bring the focus back to her, in a satisfying, triumphant circle.

Journal Entry 2 by EllyMae58 from San Diego, California USA on Sunday, February 04, 2007

My 21st read of 2007.

This is the second book I've ever read by this author, and it will probably be my last. I haven't really cared for the stories. Her writing is very flowery, and this particular story just confused me a bit.

Saving for the Teen VBB.

Journal Entry 3 by EllyMae58 from San Diego, California USA on Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Now off to myotherright...no, I mean yourotherleft. :) Hee hee. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by yourotherleft from Danville, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, February 23, 2007

This came in the mail today. Thanks! =D

Journal Entry 5 by yourotherleft from Danville, Pennsylvania USA on Thursday, July 26, 2007

I grabbed this out of the teen book box, but having read it, I wouldn't say it's all that...teen-y. LOL. While I'm all for being able to read what you want when you want, I'm glad I didn't read this when I was younger, because I'm fairly certain it's got more "adult" matter in it than a lot of "grown-up" books I've read. Nonetheless, I did enjoy it. I like Block's writing style and the mystical quality to the story. Block brings LA to life in this slightly surreal story infused with characters that are at once very human and anything but human.

Journal Entry 6 by CheriePie from Campbell, California USA on Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Received today from yourotherleft for Sizzling Summer Sweeps. Not my usual genre, but since I like some of Block's other fantasy works, I'll check it out. Thanks! :)