corner corner Empire Falls

by Richard Russo | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingsgscarcliffwing on 1/19/2003

status (set by sgscarcliff): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingsgscarcliffwing on Sunday, January 19, 2003

A good book about a small town in Maine and its people. The book has some real good characters that are believable

Journal Entry 2 by wingsgscarcliffwing on Friday, March 14, 2003

Empire Falls is on its way out in to the world. I sent it to the first to respond, Cafemundo. When finish reading Empire Falls, PM the next person for their mailing address. If they do not reply within a week PM the next person on the list. Also if someone knows they will be unreachable by e-mail, pm the previous person with your address so they can send the book, even if you are unreachable

Here is the list of bookray members in order and their state/country.
Cafemundo Maine Mailed to 3/14/03, Received. 4/8 finished and sending on shortly
Sejent Kentucky Received 4/14/03 Mailing 5/19
Kiptrix South Carolina Received 5/22/03 Mailed 6/10/03
MJM Idaho Received 6/16/03 Mailing 7/7/03
carin626 Pennsylvania Received 9/1/03 Mailing 11/17/03
nikel27 Germany Received 12/29/03
LeighBCD England received 2/26/04
Baronreads Illinois received and sent on
KarenZero New York received 5/21/04 mailed 7/10/04
WickedWordz Florida Mailed
DianeO UK - WickedWordz if mailing internationally send book to me (sgscarcliff) and I will send to the UK.

I hope everyone enjoys the book. Also if any one wants to join the bookray they will be added to the bottom of the list and they will be expected to mail internationally.

Susan

Journal Entry 3 by Cafemundo from Wilton, Maine USA on Tuesday, March 25, 2003

Received in the mail today...will journal another entry after I read it...

Journal Entry 4 by Cafemundo from Wilton, Maine USA on Tuesday, April 08, 2003

Just finished reading Empire Falls this past
weekend...
I have mixed feelings about this book. I truly enjoyed Richard Russo's writing, his character development, his poignant passages, and his humor. However, the story seemed flat to me. Perhaps because I do live in Maine and the things that happen in the book are what happens here in real life. I was disappointed in the strange ending that is reminiscent of another Maine writer. (I don't think Mr. Russo is fond of cats.)
I can see this as a movie and hope the actors will
bring to life the substance of the words - especially if Russo
is the screenwriter.

Sending off to the next BCer - Sejent ... Enjoy!

Journal Entry 5 by sejent from Louisville, Kentucky USA on Monday, April 14, 2003

Received in today's mail...I will start reading it tonight. I will journal again after I have finished reading.

Journal Entry 6 by sejent from Louisville, Kentucky USA on Monday, May 19, 2003

I really enjoyed the book...most of the character development was wonderful and the plotline surprised me (I love to be surprised).

Sending to kiptrix in Summerville, SC.

Journal Entry 7 by wingkiptrixwing from Summerville, South Carolina USA on Thursday, May 22, 2003

Received this in the mail today. Will start it as soon as I finish my current book. I'll be back.....

6/07/03 I finished this book today. It's my first by Richard Russo, and I liked it very much. You really got to know many of the characters in depth. I think I wished for more resolution at the end. Everything doesn't have to be tied up neatly, but so many things were left open.... If they make a film from this book, I would figure that the ending will be different (which wouldn't be unusual anyway).

Journal Entry 8 by wingkiptrixwing from Summerville, South Carolina USA on Tuesday, June 10, 2003

This was mailed today to mjm in Idaho. Good book!

Journal Entry 9 by mjm from Draper, Utah USA on Monday, June 16, 2003

Received today as part of a bookring. Thanks! I have one other to hurry and finish before I get started, but should get to it quickly!

Journal Entry 10 by mjm from Draper, Utah USA on Sunday, July 06, 2003

I enjoyed following these characters and their reactions to how their lives had developed over the years. Although I caught on pretty early to some of the seemingly mysterious pasts alluded to, I was still surprised by the ending. I really enjoyed reading this book with all of it's interesting characters. Will get off to baronreads tomorrow.

Journal Entry 11 by baronreads from Sugar Grove, Illinois USA on Monday, July 28, 2003

Received while I was gone on vacation. I have a couple of fast reads before it, so it shouldn't be too long. Thanks!

Journal Entry 12 by baronreads at mailed to fellow bookcrosser in Fairless Hills, Pennsylvania USA on Thursday, September 04, 2003

Released on Thursday, September 04, 2003 at mailed to fellow bookcrosser in Fairless Hills, Pennsylvania USA.

Didn't get a chance to read, too much happening now. Hope to catch this book at the end of the ring. Sending to Carin626. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 13 by carin626 from Fairless Hills, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, September 19, 2003

Sorry for the late journal entry. I received about a week ago, but I was in the middle of embryo retrieval & transfer, so I was far away from the computer. Now I'm just waiting to take a blood test so plenty of time to read.

I was reading the Candace Bushnell's short story collection "4 Blondes". I read the first two stories & misplaced it. So I started to read "A Prayer For Owen Meany" which is a very different book. It is quite enjoyable but it a book that takes a while to read.

I found "4 Blondes" in my spare bedroom & I'm putting APFOM on hold for a while to finish this one (it's a quick read.) Then I'll pick up Empire Falls, finish it & send it on it's way. Once I finish EF, I go back to reading APFOM before reading "Trading Up" by Candace Bushnell.

Journal Entry 14 by carin626 from Fairless Hills, Pennsylvania USA on Monday, October 27, 2003

Quote by Cafemundo:
"I have mixed feelings about this book. I truly enjoyed Richard Russo's writing, his character development, his poignant passages, and his humor. However, the story seemed flat to me."

Ditto, ditto, ditto. The writing and character development was intriguing. However, the story was disappointing. The tragedy that happened at the end of the book should have happened around the middle of the book. The rest of the story should have shown how they overcame the tragedy. I felt as if the end of the story was just thrown together and not wrapped up nicely.

I'm assuming the Pulitzer Prize was for the fine writing, not the actual plot.

I am contacting Wicked Wordz for her addy.

Journal Entry 15 by carin626 from Fairless Hills, Pennsylvania USA on Thursday, November 13, 2003

Finished reading & sending to Nikel27. Just an FYI, Aidan Quinn was recently in Maine filming the movie of this book for HBO. He was also arrested for Drunk Driving while there.

Journal Entry 16 by carin626 from Fairless Hills, Pennsylvania USA on Sunday, November 16, 2003

Just received nikel27's address. I will mail out tomorrow.

BTW, if anyone is curious about the results of my earlier embryo transfer (invitro fertilization), it was a big fat negative. However, I just had another transfer yesterday & things are looking good.

Journal Entry 17 by nikel27 from -- Irgendwo / Somewhere --, Hessen Germany on Tuesday, January 13, 2004

arrived at my mailbox, will start reading very soon

update:

Good Reading, but I hadn't had the time to enjoy the book... a lot of work to do at the moment.

Have the address from the next member and the book will go out next week

Journal Entry 18 by nikel27 at post office* in Ginsheim, By Post -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, February 11, 2004

Released on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 at post office* in Ginsheim, By Post Controlled Releases.

Goes out to the next member

EnJoy the book

Journal Entry 19 by LeighBCD on Thursday, February 26, 2004

I received this yesterday from nikel27... thanks very much!

I started reading the book this morning. I am still on the prologue but I like Russo's style of writing, it reminds of Tom Wolfe. I think I will enjoy this - I shall definitely be back!

Journal Entry 20 by LeighBCD on Monday, March 08, 2004

I thought this was a wonderful book... witty, erudite, subtle and engrossing. Russo is a fantastic writer, it is no surprise that this novel won the Pulitzer Prize. My only criticism would be that the climax of the novel is such a shocking event that it deserved "more air time". But this is a very small complaint - I thought this book was great.

I will send it on to the next member of the bookray once I receive address details. Thanks so much sgscarcliff for sending this novel on its travels! If it had not been for you, this book would probably have been one of those destined to sit forever on my "I will buy and read it one day" pile, and that would truly have been a shame.

Journal Entry 21 by LeighBCD at to baronreads in Sugar Grove, Illinois -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, March 11, 2004

Released on Thursday, March 11, 2004 at to baronreads in Sugar Grove, Illinois Controlled Releases.

Journal Entry 22 by baronreads from Sugar Grove, Illinois USA on Monday, May 17, 2004

I guess I forgot to journal when I received this book, sorry! I've read it and sent it on its way to KarenZero. Woodsroy asked to be taken off of the list.

I thought it was a good book and am glad to have read it, but it wasn't quite what I expected. I actually thought it was a little boring, I kept waiting for something exciting to happen. It's not a book to stick in my memory or one that would be at the top of my recommended list. I think I agree with Carin626 about the need to say more about the tragedy.

Thanks all and I hope the rest of you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 23 by KarenZero from Brooklyn, New York USA on Friday, May 21, 2004

Just received it today! Am finishing up "Wonder When You'll Miss Me", so I'll start on it in a couple of days!
Thanks!!

Journal Entry 24 by KarenZero from Brooklyn, New York USA on Sunday, June 20, 2004

I thoroughly enjoyed this book - it was very engrossing! It will be off to WickedWordz in FL as soon as I receive the address!

Thanks for the bookring!!

Journal Entry 25 by KarenZero at Post Office, see notes in New York City, New York USA on Saturday, July 10, 2004

Released on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 at Post Office in New York, New York USA.

the book is on its way to sunny Florida!

Journal Entry 26 by WickedWordz from Miami, Florida USA on Thursday, July 29, 2004

Recieved today in the 80 degree weather. Thank you so much for starting this ring. This book looks very interesting :) I have some rings that I need to get through first, but I'll try my best to read as quickly as possible. Thanks so much.

Journal Entry 27 by WickedWordz from Miami, Florida USA on Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Took me a while, but I finally got a chance to finish this book. I really enjoyed it, although I found that certain parts of the story fell flat. Russo made up for that with rather amusing characters. Thanks so much for your patience sgscarcliff :)

I mailed this book out to you 2 or 3 days ago! Yaay, it's moving again :)

Journal Entry 28 by WickedWordz at -- By Hand or Post, Ray/ring, RABCK, Meetup in Miami, Florida USA on Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Released 12 yrs ago (8/28/2005 UTC) at -- By Hand or Post, Ray/ring, RABCK, Meetup in Miami, Florida USA

Mailed out to get ring going again.

Journal Entry 29 by wingsgscarcliffwing on Wednesday, October 19, 2005

It made it back to me and i will be sending it to Europe to finish its travels.

Journal Entry 30 by wingsgscarcliffwing at Cafe Royale 800 Post at Leavenworth in San Francisco, California USA on Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Released 11 yrs ago (6/20/2006 UTC) at Cafe Royale 800 Post at Leavenworth in San Francisco, California USA

took to bookcrossing