corner corner Palace Walk

Palace Walk
by Naguib Mahfouz | Literature & Fiction
Registered by winglauraloo29wing of Edmonton, Alberta Canada on 1/13/2007

status (set by lauraloo29): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by winglauraloo29wing from Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Saturday, January 13, 2007

Volume I of the masterful Cairo Trilogy.

The engrossingh saga of a Muslim family in Cairo during Eqypt's occupation by British forces in the early 1900s.

Journal Entry 2 by winglauraloo29wing from Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Monday, September 29, 2008

I'm going to send this out as part of a book spiral.

Rules: Not many. Please journal the book's arrival and departure. And please keep it moving by keeping it no longer than 4 weeks. The last person is free to release the book as they wish.

1. Annimanni - Finland (Intl)
2. Haugtussa - Norway (Intl)
3. snufkin81 - South Africa (Intl)
4. Lobodyke - US (US)
5. Thursday5 - US (US)
6. trojanpotato - US (US)
7. pammykn - US (Intl)
8. iliotropio Belgium (Intl)
9. Jozebedee - UK (UK)

Beginning its journey October 2nd. Happy travels!

Journal Entry 3 by wingAnnimanniwing from Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, November 14, 2008

The book has arrived safely in Helsinki. Thank you! I'll start on it this weekend.

Journal Entry 4 by wingAnnimanniwing from Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, December 11, 2008

I had trouble getting going with the story and the various characters but ended up enjoying it nevertheless. Wouldn't want to be a woman in this household though...

Sending to Haugtussa next.

Journal Entry 5 by wingHaugtussawing from Stavanger, Rogaland fylke Norway on Monday, December 22, 2008

The book is here, I've got no other ringbooks at the moment + 2 weeks off from work! Perfect timing!
I've also booked my 10 days of holiday (end of May)to Egypt, so this is just what the doctor ordered!

Edited 13th of January.
I haven't forgotten about this book, things are just moving at a slower pace than expected. I hope that is fine? Another couple of weeks, and hopefully the book will be moving again.

Edited the 1st of February.
Nearly there, I've PM'ed the next participant to get the book moving as quickly as possible when I'm done.

Journal Entry 6 by wingHaugtussawing from Stavanger, Rogaland fylke Norway on Tuesday, February 03, 2009

I really enjoyed this book, and will certainly read the other two volumes at at some time.

Al-Sayyid Ahmad Abd al-Jawad, just writing the name makes me cringe. What a horrible man towards his loved ones. This total, unquestioning obedience that he demands from his wife, Amina, his sons, Yasin, Fahmy and Kamal, and his daughters, Khadija and Aisha is something that is very difficult to understand. Although I have no problem believing that people lived like that (and some probably still do). Talk about double standards; what you impose on your family and pretend to live by, and what is actually going on.
The wife, mother, step-mother - Amina - is a wonderful person, who lives to please others, especially her husband. It is amazing the way she can see absolutely no faults in her husbands behaviour, in much the same way as woman being abused by their husbands deny the husbands faults.
I found the different relationships between the family members well describes, and particularly Khadija made me laugh out load at some occasions.
The novel also describes Egypts struggle towards independce, at a much earlier time than most other African countries.

The book will be off to it's next reader this week. Thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 7 by snufkin81 from Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa on Tuesday, March 03, 2009

This arrived safely yesterday. Thanks, Haugtussa and Lauraloo29! I have a few other rings with me right now, but I'll get to this one as soon as possible.

Update 1 June: Wow, I've had this book for almost three months! Way too long. I'm not finished with it yet, but I'm reading too slowly to justify keeping it any longer (plus I've already got the second one!), so I'm going to try to send it on this week.

Journal Entry 8 by snufkin81 at To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, June 08, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (6/8/2009 UTC) at To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Posted by airmail today. I hope it gets to the other side safely.

Journal Entry 9 by Lobodyke from Bardstown, Kentucky USA on Sunday, June 14, 2009

I'm in the middle of reading another book right now, so it will be a little while before I start reading this book, but I will get to it as soon as possible. It looks to be an interesting read to me.

Journal Entry 10 by Lobodyke from Bardstown, Kentucky USA on Tuesday, August 04, 2009

To me, this book was very heavy going at first, and I almost gave up on it. The only reason I continued reading is because it has gotten such acclaim in certain circles. However, once I got past about the first third of the book, it was enjoyable and the last third was very good AND because it's a BookCrossing book. I wish, however, that my enjoyment level had been more or less the same throughout. Without creating a spoiler, I do want to say that even in the context of the culture and its times, it was amazing to me that Amina and her family tolerated -- and even encouraged, to a certain extent -- Al-Sayyid Ahmad's hypocritical and reprehensible behavior with his family. I very much agree with what Haugtussa said above (warning *spoiler*) about the book. I apologize for taking longer than I normally would with a book, but as I said above I had a hard time getting into it at first. However, the end of it now has me curious enough that I do want to read the next in the series. I'll send it off to Thursday5 as soon as I get an address.

Journal Entry 11 by Lobodyke from Bardstown, Kentucky USA on Tuesday, August 11, 2009

I am PMing Thursday5 again for an address as I've gotten no response. If I don't get a response this time, I'll skip this person and move on to trojanpotato.

Journal Entry 12 by Lobodyke from Bardstown, Kentucky USA on Thursday, August 20, 2009

Aaarrrgh! I'm so sorry this book hasn't been mailed yet. It got buried in a stack of books by the computer. It will be headed off to Thursday5 on either 8/21 or 8/25. The delivery confirmation # will be: 0306-0320-0004-7908-4381.

Journal Entry 13 by Lobodyke at Controlled Release, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (8/25/2009 UTC) at Controlled Release, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases

This is finally off to Thursday5. See above note for the delivery confirmation number.

Journal Entry 14 by Thursday5 from Columbus, Ohio USA on Thursday, August 27, 2009

What a treat to find this book in my mailbox this afternoon. I am just finishing up a book so it was perfect timing. I'm looking forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 15 by winglauraloo29wing from Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Friday, December 11, 2009

This book appears stalled. I have sent numerous PM's to Thursday5 and have not received a response back. The 2nd book has not been sent on yet, but will wait a bit to see what I can do for this trilogy. Hopefully Thursday5 is fine and will respond soon.

Dec 21: I am declaring this lost. I will be continuing the spiral with a replacement copy.