corner corner Dead Above Ground

Dead Above Ground
by Jervey Tervalon | Literature & Fiction
Registered by CandyDarling of Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on 12/28/2006

status (set by hippolein): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by CandyDarling from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, December 28, 2006

Book Description
That was Mother's life back then: planning one daughter's wedding while plotting to kill her other daughter's lover....

For feisty young Lita Du Champ, New Orleans is a place dominated by her hardworking family -- in particular, her strong-willed mother, Helen, who rules with an unshakable sense of propriety. Ever loyal to her mother, and adoring of her beautiful, restless, married sister Adele, Lita works hard to keep the family together as she attempts to establish her own life. But when Adele falls in love with Lucien Faure -- a smooth operator with "the devil's good looks" and a decades-old score to settle with Helen -- Lita unveils her mother's mysterious past to confront the Du Champs' long-buried secrets. Now, Lita finds she has one last and desperate chance to save the future of those she loves.

Award-winning author Jervey Tervalon draws from his own heritage -- and the twisting family story that has lived and breathed inside him his whole life -- to create a spellbindingly luminous novel of passion, murder, and vengeance.

Journal Entry 2 by CandyDarling at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, July 08, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (7/10/2012 UTC) at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

Giving this book to a fellow bookcrosser. Hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 3 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, September 12, 2012

And thanks once more, I think :)

Journal Entry 4 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, July 02, 2015

Taking this with me to read and release in the US.

Journal Entry 5 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Even if it lacked depth somewhat, I found this a great story of strong women, race, passion and revenge in 1940s New Orleans. Enjoyable and quick read.

I didn't release this is the US though as I only finished it in the plane on my way back. So it's AVL for now.

Journal Entry 6 by winghippoleinwing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, August 01, 2015

Got this one from the meetup in Vuosaari for my wife to read...