corner corner No Nest for the Wicket (Meg Langslow Mysteries)

No Nest for the Wicket (Meg Langslow Mysteries)
by Donna Andrews | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by cheesygiraffe of Florence, Alabama USA on 12/19/2006

status (set by KathyB25): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by cheesygiraffe from Florence, Alabama USA on Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Book Description
Meg Langslow has found herself in more than one odd situation (more like ten or fifteen): She has learned to take what comes. What has currently come is a peculiar kind of croquet, very different from the polite contest played on a summer lawn. Extreme Croquet requires a terrain of several acres, in this case populated with small animals, poison ivy, and livestock. After managing, with the help of Spike the Dog, to persuade a placid cow off the next wicket, Meg loses her ball in a briar patch, trips and slides down a minor cliff, thereby being the one to discover a dead woman at the bottom. The womans head has been bashed in, possibly illustrating one of the many additional uses for a croquet mallet. But then, maybe not And so begins another episode in the kind of delectable madness for which Donna Andrews has won so many honors, not to mention laughs galore. Donna Andrews introduced Meg and Michael in her Malice Domestic Contest-winning first mystery, Murder with Peacocks, and readers are still laughing. This novelswept up the Agatha, Anthony, Barry, a Romantic Times award for best first novel, and a Lefty for funniest mystery. With No Nest for the Wicket, Andrews borrows momentum from her previous books and delivers another riotous and engrossing read.

Journal Entry 2 by cheesygiraffe from Florence, Alabama USA on Tuesday, December 26, 2006

I enjoy this series because Meg is smart and funny. It's nice to have a lead character in a cozy mystery to be smart instead of a bumbling fool. ;)

Journal Entry 3 by CheriePie from Campbell, California USA on Tuesday, January 30, 2007

This is the 7th book in the Meg Langslow Mystery series.

Woohoo!! This arrived from cheesy today that I won in last week's Breakin in the New Forum ALS. I like that I'm all caught up on this series (no backlog to read first) so I can read this one soon! :D

Journal Entry 4 by CheriePie from Campbell, California USA on Saturday, September 20, 2008

Meg and her fiancé Michael are attempting to get settled into their new home in Caerphilly, or actually their barn more like as the house itself is still going through all sorts of repairs and renovations. Since they're also hosting Caerphilly's first official extreme croquet tournament, their home is swarming not only with the Shiffley family work men, but with all Meg's family as well, including countless cousins and second cousins.

Therefore, there's no shortage of suspects when Meg finds a dead body at the bottom of a small ravine, following the path of her stray croquet ball. The woman's head has been bashed in, and it would appear that a croquet mallet was the likely weapon. Of course, in addition to the sheriff and local police force, Meg must do her own digging, attempting to discover the identity of the woman and the reason someone would want her dead.

I totally enjoyed this 7th book in the Meg Langslow mystery series, and like it's predecessors, the wacky, zany antics of Meg and family make getting there half the fun. Whether or not you remember whodunit in a year's time is irrelevant as the journey will remain with you for awhile to come. :)

This is now reserved for Shaunesay, who won it in April's Nobody's Fool Cozy Mystery Swap at BookObsessed, and will be headed out to her shortly.

Journal Entry 5 by CheriePie at Olathe, Kansas USA on Thursday, September 25, 2008

Released 8 yrs ago (9/25/2008 UTC) at Olathe, Kansas USA

Sending to Shaunesay, who won this in April's Cozy Mystery Swap on BookObsessed. Mailed 25-Sep-2008 via Media Mail along with 2 other books also won in swaps. Enjoy!! :)

Journal Entry 6 by shaunesay from Olathe, Kansas USA on Sunday, October 05, 2008

It has arrived! The titles of this series just cracks me up! Thanks Cherie!

Journal Entry 7 by shaunesay at Olathe, Kansas USA on Saturday, March 17, 2012

I still snicker at the titles of this series!

No Nest for the Wicket is going out to Kathyb, who won it during our Sweet Reads for the Sweet Read-a-thon. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 8 by KathyB25 at Arlington, Texas USA on Tuesday, March 27, 2012