corner corner The Bookseller of Kabul

The Bookseller of Kabul
by Asne Seierstad | Literature & Fiction
Registered by loveamystery of Burnaby, British Columbia Canada on Sunday, December 17, 2006

status (set by Quez45): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by loveamystery from Burnaby, British Columbia Canada on Sunday, December 17, 2006

From the back cover: "For more than twenty years Sultan Khan defied the authorities to supply books to the people of Kabul. He was arrested, interrogated and imprisoned, and watched illiterate soldiers burn piles of books on the street.
In Spring 2002 award-winning journalist Asne Seierstad spent four months living with the bookseller and his family. As Seierstad steps back from the page and lets the Khans tell their stories, we learn of proposals and marriages, hope and fear, crime and punishment. The result is a unique portrait of a family and a country."

Journal Entry 2 by loveamystery from Burnaby, British Columbia Canada on Monday, July 02, 2007

I found this story intriguing, but depressing. It wasn't as bad a feeling as I got reading The Swallows of Kabul, but like the author, I too felt very angry at times. Will this country ever be able to offer its citizens a safe and peaceful life? The treatment of women is abominable, and men really are not treated much better. Life is very harsh here. Sultan is really a product of his environment. A person powerless in his country becomes a tyrant in his home.

Journal Entry 3 by loveamystery from Burnaby, British Columbia Canada on Tuesday, January 01, 2008

My other copy of this book was stalled as a bookring between the first and second person on the list. This new bookring will hopefully move along well. Please journal this book when it arrives, journal your impressions after reading it,and journal when you mail it on, all within a month if possible, so that everyone on the list will have an opportunity to read it. The list is as follows:

conto (Portugal)
iliotropio (Belgium)
MrsJennings (UK)
boomda181 (US)
nynjagrrrl (US)
KarenZero (US)

Journal Entry 4 by loveamystery at Bookring in Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, January 06, 2008

Released 6 yrs ago (1/6/2008 UTC) at Bookring in Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

This book is now on its way to conto by surface mail. It may take about six weeks to arrive.

Journal Entry 5 by wingcontowing on Wednesday, February 20, 2008

And it did arrive within the promised 6 weeks, I guess.

I'm reading another book (I'm half way through it but reading a bit slowly these days) And will get to this one immediately after.

Thank you so much, loveamystery, for this new bookring and for sending it off to me! ;-)

PS - I absolutely loved the bookmark. Thanks also for it!! :-D

Journal Entry 6 by wingcontowing on Friday, March 14, 2008

Done with and on its way to iliotropio since this morning!

I've had mixed feelings reading this one: I liked a lot the way the author expresses "on behalf" of the characters as well as the altogether different views on life and social roles within one family; at the same time, I didn't quite like the way it is written, half fictional storytelling, half documentary.

Anyway, I was curious about this book and I thank you once more, loveamistery, for the opportunity to get to read it!

Journal Entry 7 by iliotropio from Bruxelles / Brussel, Bruxelles / Brussel Belgium on Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Arrived safely in Brussels.
Many thanks conto!

Journal Entry 8 by iliotropio from Bruxelles / Brussel, Bruxelles / Brussel Belgium on Wednesday, June 04, 2008

A very interesting first-hand testimony, although of no particular literary value.
On its way to MrsJennings.

Journal Entry 9 by MrsJennings from Barton Park, Devon United Kingdom on Monday, June 16, 2008

Received the book - thanks for sending it out loveamystery, and thanks for the cool bookmark iliotropio!

Journal Entry 10 by MrsJennings from Barton Park, Devon United Kingdom on Thursday, June 26, 2008

Enjoyed the book and thought it did well to place you in the shoes of the family members. Addressed the life of women in Afghanistan. Particularly felt for Leila. Thanks loveamystery for sending out another interesting book.

I have sent this on to boomda181 in Canada today.

Journal Entry 11 by boomda181 on Friday, July 04, 2008

The book arrived safely today. I will move it to the top of Mt TBR and will journal more soon.

Journal Entry 12 by boomda181 on Wednesday, August 13, 2008

WOW! That was a great read. The honest voice of the novel is what propelled me through the pages. Although the novel does an excellent job portraying the various characters and their roles in Afghanistan, I still find it all mind-boggling. Thanks for letting me be a part of this ring.

Journal Entry 13 by boomda181 at Elkhorn, Wisconsin USA on Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Released 5 yrs ago (8/13/2008 UTC) at Elkhorn, Wisconsin USA

On its way to nynjagrrl!

Journal Entry 14 by nynjagrrrl from Elkhorn, Wisconsin USA on Friday, September 12, 2008

I didn't get a chance to journal this when it first came. This book gave me a look at life in Kabul during and after the Taliban. The book was a little slow at times but overall a worthwhile read.

Journal Entry 15 by Quez45 on Tuesday, February 17, 2009

I guess nynjagrrrl sent this to be as a bonus. Thanks!