corner corner March

March
by Geraldine Brooks | Literature & Fiction
Registered by BellaMack of St Helens, Tasmania Australia on 12/16/2006

status (set by catbot): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by BellaMack from St Helens, Tasmania Australia on Saturday, December 16, 2006

An idealistic abolitionist, March has gone as chaplain to serve the Union cause. But the war tests his faith not only in the Union - which is also capable of barbarism and racism - but in himself. As he recovers from a near-fatal illness, March must reassemble and reconnect with his family, who have no idea of what he has endured.

Journal Entry 2 by BellaMack from St Helens, Tasmania Australia on Thursday, July 30, 2009

Posting today , enjoy :)

Journal Entry 3 by KLL from Perth, Western Australia Australia on Sunday, August 09, 2009

Thanks very much for sending this!!! I read Year of Wonders earlier this year for bookclub and really enjoyed it. I have mixed feeling about 'Little Women' (though mostly since I grew up - I'm very familiar with the books from my childhood) but I def look forward to reading this.

Journal Entry 4 by KLL at Borders Bookshop in Perth, Western Australia Australia on Saturday, January 30, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (1/30/2010 UTC) at Borders Bookshop in Perth, Western Australia Australia

I really enjoyed this 'retelling' of Little Women. I'm ashamed to say that probably most of my knowledge of the American Civil War comes from 'Gone with the Wind' so this book gave a heap of extra context on how the war started, as well as a somewhat grittier portrayal of things that happened. Probably the biggest surprise in the book for me was Marmee, who is a much bigger firebrand than even Jo for most of the novel - a far cry from the even and reasonable mother she is in LW (tho to be fair she doesmention to Jo at one stage that she used to have a temper - seeing it in acuality is another thing though!)

Altogether this is a very enjoyable book. I'm taking it with me to the January Perth BC Meetup and hope someone there will enjoy it too...

Journal Entry 5 by KLL from Perth, Western Australia Australia on Monday, February 01, 2010

This book is still with me! Nobody at the meetup was interested in this (a shame because I think it's well worth reading!) so I decided to bring it home and put on the Oz VBB: http://vbboz.blogspot.com/

Journal Entry 6 by Carole888 at Perth, Western Australia Australia on Friday, June 18, 2010

Chosen from the OZVBB! Thanks a lot KLL. This is going to be our bookclub read for the month and we'll be discussing it in a few weeks time. I will have to start reading it soon. Will let you know how it goes :)

Journal Entry 7 by Carole888 at Perth, Western Australia Australia on Monday, August 09, 2010

Beautifully written ..... Found the information on the historical characters mentioned (eg John Brown,places, battles etc very interesting.... and went on to look for more info out there. I loved the author's version of Little Women and how cleverly she depicted Mr March. (Mind you, there were times when I wanted to shake the man!) We had a good discussion at bookclub too. Thanks KLL and BellaMack ..... I will pop it back into the VBB and see if anyone else would like to read it.

Journal Entry 8 by Carole888 at Perth, Western Australia Australia on Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Released 6 yrs ago (11/10/2010 UTC) at Perth, Western Australia Australia

Sending this by mail on a little journey to fulfill a wish ....... Happy Reading and I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did. Thanks once again to everyone who has helped this book along the way. Cheers from WA!!

Journal Entry 9 by catbot at Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Saturday, January 08, 2011

thank you carole888 for the rabck and reminder! my apologies for not posting earlier :) i love brooks's writing, am looking forward to this one.