corner corner Johnny Got His Gun

Johnny Got His Gun
by Dalton Trumbo | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Tintti of Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on 12/10/2006

status (set by myntti): reserved

Journal Entry 1 by Tintti from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Sunday, December 10, 2006

This was no ordinary war. This was a war to make the world safe for democracy. And if democracy was made safe, then nothing else mattered - not the millions of dead bodies, nor the thousands of ruined lives...This is no ordinary novel. This is a novel that never takes an easy way out: it is shocking, violent, terrifying, horrible, uncompromising, brutal, remorseless and gruesome...but so is war.

I read this book more than ten years ago, when I was maybe sixteen or seventeen, and I remember being extremely impressed by it. I should read it again. I actually have tried some years ago, I think, because I found a bookmark on page 123 (about halfway through the book), but for some reason I haven't finished the book then. I might try again, but as I think it is an important book and everyone should read it, I'm setting its status to "available".

Jan 10, 2007: Reserved to myntti.

Journal Entry 2 by wingmynttiwing from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Received in the mail this morning. Thank you, Tintti.

Journal Entry 3 by wingmynttiwing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Saturday, January 16, 2016

I'm going to finish the last chapter on the train today. I'm heading to Helsinki to see a monologue based on this book. More comments later...