corner corner Murder with Puffins: A Meg Langslow Mystery

Murder with Puffins: A Meg Langslow Mystery
by Donna Andrews | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by AgnesXNitt of Godmanchester, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on 12/9/2006

status (set by kirjakko): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by AgnesXNitt from Godmanchester, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Saturday, December 09, 2006

"A romantic getaway was what Meg Langslow had in mind when she and her boyfriend planned a trip to the tiny island of Monhegan off the coast of Maine. They would spend their days hiking the trails and their evenings by the fire. But in this remote place, birds of a feather flock together and Meg quickly finds out that this vacation isn't going to go as planned. Although the puffins have already flown south for the winter, the island still harbours a flock of birdwatchers - and Meg's family...
Discovering her parents, her brother, her aunt and a nosey neighbour on the island is Meg's first surprise. Her second one comes when a body is found and her father is accused of murder. Now, instead of quiet walks by the water, Meg finds herself scouring the island for clues. In the process, she uncovers more than she bargained for. Meg's only hope for find the killer now rests on a wing and a prayer..."

Again, another new author for me.

Journal Entry 2 by AgnesXNitt from Godmanchester, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Well, Ms Andrews may have won a shedload of awards i.e. The Agatha Award, the Malice Domestic Award (?!), the Anthony Award and the Barry Award for her first novel, 'Murder With Peacocks'(which to be fair I haven't read) but this, her second book failed to engage me much. At all to be honest. I stuck with it as a matter of honour, 'I've started this so I'm going to damn well finish it' kind of honour, but I didn't get much out of it. Maybe I was just in the wrong mindset for this novel, but I didn't enjoy it at all.
Therefore, gratefully, moved onto the AVL pile for trade, RABCKing, Running Wild and Free or up for grabs.
Make me an offer for this one and we'll see what happens :)

Journal Entry 3 by AgnesXNitt from Godmanchester, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Oh dear. I posted this one off as a trade with Rockdg9 before Christmas last year and it's just boomeranged back!
Have double checked RockDg9's addy and we'll try again!

Journal Entry 4 by RockDg9 from Toowoomba, Queensland Australia on Monday, October 06, 2008

Slow flying puffin finally made it here!

Thanks so much AngesXNitt - and for the lovely postcard. :)

Journal Entry 5 by RockDg9 from Toowoomba, Queensland Australia on Saturday, October 31, 2009

Freelance metal-worker (I think) Meg Langslow decides to have a quiet weekend in her aunt's summer house on Monhegan Island with her boyfriend Michael. However, when they arrive, her entire family is there, and when a local misanthropic artist turns up dead, Meg puts her amateur sleuthing skills to use.

This was an unusual cosy mystery in that the amateur sleuth is on holidays! Usually their day-job comes into the story somehow, but I'm not even certain I know what Meg does for a living (something to do with metal-work I think). Anyway, it was a good cosy mystery. A little convoluted at times with 'cliff-hangers' at the end of every chapter, which got a bit annoying. But other that that I did enjoy the read very much. Didn't really care whodunnit, I just enjoyed reading about the whacky characters.

Journal Entry 6 by RockDg9 at Toowoomba, Queensland Australia on Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Released 7 yrs ago (11/10/2009 UTC) at Toowoomba, Queensland Australia

OZ VBB release

Journal Entry 7 by sally906 from Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Monday, November 16, 2009

Wow - got here quick - picked up from PO today.

Journal Entry 8 by sally906 from Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Sunday, January 17, 2010

A sweet fluffy mystery, perfect for the silly season. Meg Langslow and her boyfriend Michael want to be alone for a few days. Meg comes up with a solution – her aunt Phoebe told Meg that she could stay at her empty summer cottage on the island of Monhegan island off the coast of Maine any time. Now seems like a good time. But it doesn’t turn out as planned.

A hurricane is moving away from the coast – which means that when they catch the ferry, the trip is rough. There is also a flock of rabid birdwatchers on board, determined to spot as many birds as they can on the trip to the island. When they get to the island they find that not only is Aunt Phoebe actually in residence, but so to are Meg’s parents and brother. To add to the mix, a famous and slightly insane, bird hating sculptor, who may have been Meg’s mother’s lover years ago, has taken up residence on the island and has upset just about everyone.

Not surprisingly he is soon turns up dead – and Aunt Phoebe and Meg’s father are among the main suspects. Well in Meg’s mind at least – so Meg and Michael are soon on the case to find the real culprit before the mainland police arrive on the island.

There are a whole plethora of wacky characters to meet, all of whom have a reason to want the victim dead, and several great plot twists, before the story reaches its satisfying conclusion. Not as great as the first book – but still a good read.

Putting back into the VBB - deserves to be shared.

Journal Entry 9 by sally906 at Jamaica Blue Cafe, Casuarina Square in Casuarina, Northern Territory Australia on Thursday, July 29, 2010

Released 6 yrs ago (7/29/2010 UTC) at Jamaica Blue Cafe, Casuarina Square in Casuarina, Northern Territory Australia

Am taking to meet-up tomorrow morning - if no-one wants it will wild-release at Casuarina square somewhere

Journal Entry 10 by scrapaholic at Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Sunday, August 15, 2010

Picked up at our last meet up

Journal Entry 11 by scrapaholic at Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Friday, September 03, 2010

An enjoyable tale with twists and turns

Journal Entry 12 by scrapaholic at Jamaica Blue Cafe, Casuarina Square in Casuarina, Northern Territory Australia on Friday, September 03, 2010

Released 6 yrs ago (9/3/2010 UTC) at Jamaica Blue Cafe, Casuarina Square in Casuarina, Northern Territory Australia

Taking to the meetup. If no one takes then will release it near cafe

Journal Entry 13 by wingamberCwing at Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Saturday, September 04, 2010

Picked up at the meet-up.

Journal Entry 14 by wingamberCwing at Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Wednesday, November 16, 2011

it was a pleasant, fluffy read. By the time we found out 'who-dunn-it' I didn't much care.

On it's way to a taggee on the Wishlist Tag Game.

Journal Entry 15 by wingInto-the-Bluewing at Stade, Niedersachsen Germany on Saturday, February 11, 2012

Received today with many thanks. Also thanks much for the beautiful card of Jim Jim Falls. I have been to Kakadu NP in November 1988 and loved it!

Journal Entry 16 by wingInto-the-Bluewing at -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Niedersachsen Germany on Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Released 4 yrs ago (10/10/2012 UTC) at -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Niedersachsen Germany

Funny little book. I really liked the weird characters in it. Am looking forward to reading the next from the series.

This is now travelling back way Down Under - to beautiful NZ this time as keeta1 picked it via the first sentence VBB. I hope you will enjoy it as well!

Journal Entry 17 by wingkeeta1wing at Howick, Auckland Province New Zealand on Monday, October 29, 2012

Gosh, what a well travelled little book!
Thank you Into-The-Blue, for sending it all this way and I think I'll make it my next book to read (a mighty leap up a huge Mt Tbr!!)

Journal Entry 18 by wingkeeta1wing at Howick, Auckland Province New Zealand on Thursday, November 15, 2012

Definitely in the "good to read on a beach" category! A whodunnit with lots of twists and turns, but light enough to not require too much concentration.
It's now going to start another leg of it's travels - off to Kirjakko in Finland!

Journal Entry 19 by wingkeeta1wing at By Post, By Post -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, November 18, 2012

Released 4 yrs ago (11/18/2012 UTC) at By Post, By Post -- Controlled Releases

Tagged!
Hope you enjoy it.

Journal Entry 20 by wingkirjakkowing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, December 10, 2012

Wow, this book has been travelling six years already and has covered a lot of miles. I love puffins, so looking forward to reading this one.