corner corner Water for Elephants: A Novel

Water for Elephants: A Novel
by Sara Gruen | Literature & Fiction
Registered by debnance of Alvin, Texas USA on Saturday, December 09, 2006

status (set by meexia): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by debnance from Alvin, Texas USA on Saturday, December 09, 2006

Jacob, a fellow almost at the end of his veterinary training, learns his parents have been killed in an accident, leaving him penniless. He finds he cannot complete his final exam and drops out of school. It is the Great Depression and jobs are difficult to come by. Jacob joins the circus, a strange turn of events that completely shifts the direction of his life.

The book alternates between Jacob as a young man and Jacob as an old man in a nursing home. The comparison between Jacob the old man and Daisy the elephant is clearly the author's intent. I was sucked right into the book and found it a compelling read.

Duplicate copy

Journal Entry 2 by debnance at U.S. Mail in Alvin, Texas USA on Saturday, December 09, 2006

Released 7 yrs ago (12/9/2006 UTC) at U.S. Mail in Alvin, Texas USA

Journal Entry 3 by Neuilly from Brooklyn, New York USA on Saturday, December 16, 2006

I just received this book in the mail today! Wasn't expecting it...thank you so much!!

Journal Entry 4 by Neuilly from Brooklyn, New York USA on Saturday, June 09, 2007

Finished this last night, and what a ride!! In the end it made me sadder than I was hoping for but it was so well-written that it didn't matter! Gruen just really brought that whole circus world to life. And reading the author's notes in the back just made me more appreciative...all those elements of Rosie the elephant were drawn from stories of real circus elephants! Admittedly I'm biased since they are my favorite animal. I was also drawn to many of the characters in the story.

In the beginning I got aggravated with how often she was switching between the present and the past. I wanted to read about the circus! But what she does with it near the end was a nice touch.

Overall, a very nice read that I hope to be able to pass on to someone shortly!

And thank you so much for giving this to me as a RABCK!! It was so kind and unexpected...and what a book to be gifted with :)

8/13/7: Happily sending this off as part of a trade with ndspider!!

Journal Entry 5 by ndspider from Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Saturday, August 25, 2007

Just recieved Water for Elephant sin the mail. It is currently number 3 on the reading list. I have heard good things about this book and it looks like a quick read. Thanks for the trade!
.ND

Here is the current working list for the bookray.
1. Jennyc1230 (US only) (Done!)
2. Sunnybrook301 (Done)
3. Quinsmomma
4. Dabercro (Us Only)
5. WhitePine
6. Breeze144 (canada)
7. ivylibra224
8. Caridad (done in a day!)
9. phylwil
10. meexia (singapore)

Journal Entry 6 by wingJennyC1230wing from Woodstock, Georgia USA on Saturday, September 08, 2007

I received the book today, I will write more after I have read it! Thank you for sharing your book!! :-)

Journal Entry 7 by wingJennyC1230wing from Woodstock, Georgia USA on Saturday, September 15, 2007

This book was so good! I hadn't heard much about it so I didn't know what to expect and it was just great. I received it on Saturday and I had it finished either Sunday or Monday. I couldn't put it down! I liked all of the characters, they were so real that I could easily picture them. I was so happy about the ending, because I knew it could have gone another way and it would have been sad.

I talked about it so much, that my husband (Lumbermoose) picked it up and finished reading it in a few days! So now we are both finished reading and will send on to the next participant. I already have her address.

Journal Entry 8 by Lumbermoose from Woodstock, Georgia USA on Saturday, September 15, 2007

I didn't know anything about bookrays or book boxes until the mail came last weekend. Anyway, now I'm searching the forum for stuff to read.

My wife recommended this book to me after she read it. After reading the back I wasn't sure if this was for me, but I really enjoyed this book. It's a very quick read and hard to put down after you get started.

Journal Entry 9 by wingJennyC1230wing at Forwarded for Bookray in Woodstock, Georgia USA on Saturday, September 15, 2007

Released 6 yrs ago (9/15/2007 UTC) at Forwarded for Bookray in Woodstock, Georgia USA

Sending by mail to next participant! Enjoy!

Delivery Confirmation #03061070000097979798

Journal Entry 10 by lupingirl on Thursday, September 27, 2007

Received and I will be starting it soon. Thanks!

Journal Entry 11 by lupingirl on Thursday, October 11, 2007

I absolutely loved this book! Gruen did a great job with the characters and I really did not expect the little twist - the ending made me happy, too.

Journal Entry 12 by lupingirl on Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Sending this out today.
Sorry for the delay - the broken nose kind of got in the way of a lot of things!

Journal Entry 13 by dabercro from Clinton, Utah USA on Sunday, November 11, 2007

Received in the mail yesterday. I am just finishing another book and will start reading this one in the next couple of days. This book has been on my wishlist for awhile so I am looking forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 14 by dabercro from Clinton, Utah USA on Saturday, November 17, 2007

Wow!!! What a great read!! I couldn't put the book down. I liked the way the author took the story from the present to the past, almost as if Jacob was reliving his past in his mind. I really felt for the characters and the animals, especially Rosie. What a horrible way to live and try to survive. The people endured all kinds of abuse and hardships just to have a place to sleep and food to eat. Some parts were hard to read because of the gruesome details.

Waiting for WhitePine's address.

Journal Entry 15 by dabercro from Clinton, Utah USA on Monday, November 19, 2007

mailing today to WhitePine in CT

Journal Entry 16 by WhitePine from Coventry, Connecticut USA on Thursday, December 13, 2007

I enjoyed this book . I would read others by this author .
I will email Breeze144 .

Journal Entry 17 by WhitePine from Coventry, Connecticut USA on Friday, December 14, 2007

I am trying to send this book along but teh next 2 people in line have read it. I will try the next person .

Journal Entry 18 by Caridad from Miami Lakes, Florida USA on Friday, December 28, 2007

I am looking forward to reading this book. Thanks, WhitePine for sending it along.

Journal Entry 19 by Caridad from Miami Lakes, Florida USA on Sunday, December 30, 2007

Loved, loved, loved this story! The history about circuses and the characters were great. Got address for next victim. Thanks for sharing, ndspider. People like you are what make BC so great!

Journal Entry 20 by Caridad from Miami Lakes, Florida USA on Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Mailed to phylwil.

Journal Entry 21 by phylwil from Longview, Texas USA on Thursday, January 17, 2008

I just received Water for Elephants! I can start on this right away, since my mtbr doesn't have any bookcrossing books in it right now. Thanks, ndspider, for making this available.

Journal Entry 22 by phylwil from Longview, Texas USA on Sunday, January 27, 2008

I enjoyed this book so much! I especially liked the sense that the author had extensively researched circuses during the Great Depression. In addition, the main character is completely believable and likeable.

This one will be on to the next reader this Tuesday, when I can get to the post office.

Thanks again, ndspider, for the chance to enjoy this book.

Journal Entry 23 by meexia from Punchbowl, New South Wales Australia on Friday, February 15, 2008

Book may have arrived a few days back, I just came back from a short holiday. Thanks for sending this out phylwil, and ndspider for organizing the ray. Since I'm the last on the list, I'm hoping to be able to take my time to read it :) (Mt TBR is overwhelming rite now). Rest assured the book will travel again when it's time ;)