corner corner Geisha of Gion

Geisha of Gion
by Mineko Iwasaki, Rande Brown | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by wingk00kaburrawing of San Jose, California USA on 7/25/2007

status (set by brewski): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingk00kaburrawing from San Jose, California USA on Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Rec'd via Bookmooch.com. I wasn't sure if this was the same book as Geisha: A Life so now that I have both books I can investigate that and if it turns out to be the same book, I think I'll pass this on to my friend Kitty, since she really enjoyed Memoirs of a Geisha

Journal Entry 2 by wingk00kaburrawing at Through the mail in To a Moocher, BookMooch -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, September 30, 2007

Released 9 yrs ago (9/30/2007 UTC) at Through the mail in To a Moocher, BookMooch -- Controlled Releases

sent to Mary Fenton of Lebanon, PA to fulfill a request on Bookmooch.com.

Journal Entry 3 by blackadder75 from Lebanon, Pennsylvania USA on Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Got this book yesterday from bookmooch. I really enjoyed Memoirs of a Geisha and wanted to read this one.

Journal Entry 4 by blackadder75 from Lebanon, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, June 14, 2008

I found this book to be a fascinating look at the life of a Geisha. I had read Memoirs of a Giesha and wanted to read this one. I can see some simliarities between the two but I enjoyed this book more.

Journal Entry 5 by blackadder75 at mailed in bookobsessed.com, book swap -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, June 21, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (6/21/2008 UTC) at mailed in bookobsessed.com, book swap -- Controlled Releases

Sent to brewski as part of the Previously Bookcrossed relay.

Journal Entry 6 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Monday, June 30, 2008

I received this probably on Friday, but just picked up the mail this morning. Thanks a bunch!

Journal Entry 7 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, November 05, 2008

I was looking forward to reading this after having read and enjoyed Memoirs of a Geisha. I did enjoy learning more about geisha from a first-hand account, as well as dispelling some misconceptions that I had. However, for some reason I didn't enjoy the style of this book that much. I accept that Mineko Iwasaki is/was one of the greatest geishas of all time, but the tone seemed almost boastful at times and it felt like there was a bit of name-dropping. This detracted a bit from the experience for me.

Journal Entry 8 by brewski at Los Angeles, California USA on Monday, December 29, 2008

Released 8 yrs ago (12/27/2008 UTC) at Los Angeles, California USA

Mailed off to my younger brother during our December trip to Erie, PA.