corner corner The Well of Lost Plots

The Well of Lost Plots
by Jasper Fforde | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by Pookledo of Loughborough, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Thursday, December 28, 2006

status (set by Hawkette): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by Pookledo from Loughborough, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Thursday, December 28, 2006

Pre-numbered label used for registration.

Different cover to the one shown.

Journal Entry 2 by Pookledo from Loughborough, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Friday, December 29, 2006

I'm sending this out on a book ray.

kinedi - UK - UK/Europe
RDWirral - UK - Anywhere
Jellybaby531 - UK - Anywhere
microsquid - Ireland
samulli - Germany - Anywhere
Lazzulii - Australia - Australia
BellaMack - Australia - Australia

Hawkette - Australia

Journal Entry 3 by kinedi from Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Arrived safely in Edinburgh, thanks very much and a belated Happy New Year !

Journal Entry 4 by kinedi from Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 13, 2007

I am terribly sorry but I will have to move this book on without having read it. I have tried but found out after a few chapters that I am missing too much of what's been happing in book #2 so I am currently reading ''Lost in a good book'' You have to read these books in the right order and when I signed up for this bookring I didn't realise this was book #3. Ever so sorry, will post out book to RDWirral this week,

Journal Entry 5 by kinedi at fellow bookcrossing member in by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, February 13, 2007

On its way to RDWirral now. Happy reading

Journal Entry 6 by RDWirral from New Ferry, Merseyside United Kingdom on Thursday, February 15, 2007

Recieved today - with thanks

Journal Entry 7 by RDWirral from New Ferry, Merseyside United Kingdom on Saturday, March 10, 2007

I am about 100 pages through with this, and have taken the decision to abandon it, I had a copy of Something Rotten too so I read the last chapters and found out how it all ends, I wanted to like Jasper Fforde, I really did, but I find his writing style smug and pleased with itself. Sadly, I will be passing this on unfinished to Jellybaby531.

Journal Entry 8 by RDWirral from New Ferry, Merseyside United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Sent to Jellybaby531

Journal Entry 9 by Jellybaby531 from Shrewsbury, Shropshire United Kingdom on Friday, March 16, 2007

Received today, thank you. Since signing up for this book I have read loads of comments saying I should read these books in the right order to understand what going on, so I am currently working through the first 2 before reading this one. Hopefully won't be too long!
Update 3/4/07 - really enjoyed the first 2 books, am well on the way with this one now!

Journal Entry 10 by Jellybaby531 from Shrewsbury, Shropshire United Kingdom on Monday, April 16, 2007

I really enjoyed this book, more than either of the first 2. I think the humour in this one is cleverer and more subtle, apart from one of two instances where I felt he was trying too hard to include a literary refernce which ended up jarring somewhat - in these cases it would probably have been better to leave them out altogether rather than force them in unconvincingly. But apart from that it was a fun read - what an imagination the author must have!
The book will be continuing its travels shortly.

Journal Entry 11 by Jellybaby531 from Shrewsbury, Shropshire United Kingdom on Monday, April 23, 2007

Book is on its way to microsquid today!

Journal Entry 12 by microsquid from Cobh, Co. Cork Ireland on Sunday, April 29, 2007

Arrived at the post office yesterday - to find not one book, but two!
Thanks very much Jellybaby531!
I really enjoyed the first two and I tucked into this one while having my hair done and yes, he's still funny :)
Thanks for sharing, Pookledo!

Journal Entry 13 by microsquid from Cobh, Co. Cork Ireland on Tuesday, May 08, 2007

I enjoyed this a lot, but not as much as the first two (I like the alternate Swindon better, and the Thals best of all) - that said I sailed straight from this into Book 4 so it was a cracking good read.
My main complaint is that I felt that Fforde spent much of his time setting the scene for the other series with Jack Spratt and little enough on the development of Thursday. The ultimate show-down could have been done with a little more finesse too (although alas for Miss Havisham, alas).
I'll stop now before I give the game away - PMing samulli today.

Journal Entry 14 by samulli from Weimar, Thüringen Germany on Friday, May 25, 2007

Arrived here yesterday. I'll try to get to it as fast as I can, but I am inundated with bookrings at the moment, so it might be one or two weeks before I get to it.

Journal Entry 15 by samulli from Weimar, Thüringen Germany on Sunday, June 03, 2007

I definitely liked this one better than the first two books of the series. Probably because most of it was set in the BookWorld, which I enjoy much more than Thursday's real world with all this Goliath Corporation stuff.
As usual there were lots of cool and crazy ideas in this book, and as usual the plot itself was a bit thin. But either I get used to that or it really was a bit less obvious than in the first two books, in any case it annoyed me much less this time. I even begin to like Thursday herself, which might have helped me to enjoy the book. Shame about Ms. Havisham, though. She was one of my favorite characters until, well, you know...
I'm very glad I didn't give up on the series altogether after the disappointing second book. And I'm very much looking forward to go right on reading the fourth book now. (Well, actually, I have already finished that, too. I just should have written this journal entry 2 days ago. Where's the ChronoGuard when you need them?)

As soon as I hear from Lazzulii the book will go on the journey to Australia. Thanks to Pookledo for organizing this ray!

Journal Entry 16 by samulli from Weimar, Thüringen Germany on Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Well, well, well, this might take a bit longer than I thought.
Lazzulii told me she wants to be skipped, so I PMed BellaMack yesterday, but so far I haven't heard back.
I hope I get the book on the road again soon...

Journal Entry 17 by samulli from Weimar, Thüringen Germany on Friday, June 08, 2007

I finally got in touch with BellaMack (not easy with the PM system acting up again) and the book will be on its way either this afternoon or tomorrow morning.

Journal Entry 18 by BellaMack from St Helens, Tasmania Australia on Monday, August 20, 2007

Received today, many thanks, have a few books to get through first but will read asap

Journal Entry 19 by BellaMack from St Helens, Tasmania Australia on Saturday, September 01, 2007

I couldn't get into this book at all so will pass it on to Hawkette when I have an address.

Journal Entry 20 by Hawkette from Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Monday, September 24, 2007

Received this in the mail yesterday. This is where I am up to in the series! Thanks!

Journal Entry 21 by Hawkette from Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Wednesday, November 07, 2007

I enjoyed this, although has been a book I have read in fits and starts - not because of the book, but just the manic time around the sun emerging!!

Thursday and her adventures are once again amusing, clever, and full of fiction puns.

Journal Entry 22 by Hawkette from Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Sent off to the lucky recipient of the Happy Smile Day RABCK Sweepstake...