corner corner Darkly Dreaming Dexter

Darkly Dreaming Dexter
by Jeff Lindsay | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by leeny37 of Melbourne, Victoria Australia on 11/26/2006

status (set by leeny37): permanent collection

Journal Entry 1 by leeny37 from Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Sunday, November 26, 2006

From Amazon.co.uk:
Meet Dexter Morgan, the chief protagonist of Darkly Dreaming Dexter. He's a highly respected lab technician specialising in blood spatter for the Miami Dade Police Department. He's a handsome, though reluctant, ladies' man. He's polite, says all the right things, and rarely draws attention to himself. He's also a sociopathic serial killer whose "Dark Passenger" drives him to commit the occasional dismemberment.

Mind you, Dexter's the good guy in this story.

Adopted at the age of four after an unnamed tragedy left him orphaned, Dexter's learned, with help from his pragmatic policeman father, to channel his "gift", killing only those who deal in death themselves. But when a new serial killer starts working in Miami, staging elaborately grisly scenes that are, to Dexter, an obvious attempt at communication from one monster to another, the eponymous protagonist finds himself at a loss. Should he help his policewoman sister Deborah earn a promotion to the Homicide desk by finding the fiend? Or should he locate this new killer himself, so he can express his admiration for the other's "art"? Or is it possible that psycho Dexter himself, admittedly not the most balanced of fellows, is finally going completely insane and committing these messy crimes himself?

Despite his penchant for vivisection, it's hard not to like Dexter as his coldly logical personality struggles to emulate emotions he doesn't feel and to keep up his appearance as a caring, unremarkable human being. Debut author Jeff Lindsay's plot is tense and absorbing, but it's the voice of Dexter and his reactions to the other characters that make this one of the most original and highly recommended serial killer stories in a very long time.

Journal Entry 2 by leeny37 from Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Wednesday, April 11, 2007

America's favourite serial killer, how whacked is that?! Well, count me in too, as there is just something about Dexter that makes him endearing. Although this sentiment probably came about more from the TV series. This was a good read, only impacted upon because I already have some prior knowledge about the premise and that element of surprise is missing, even though the TV series is quite different from the novel. To be honest, I probably enjoyed the TV show more (Michael C. Hall is brilliant as Dexter!), but this is still a worthwhile read. I think someone who comes into this 'fresh' will probably enjoy it a lot more than I did. I look forward to reading the follow-up to this and it will be completely new to me then, so it should be good!

Journal Entry 3 by leeny37 from Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Introducing messed-up Dexter to my fellow bookcrossers. This bookring is now closed.

BookRing Instructions:
1. When you receive the book, please make a journal entry so everyone knows it has safely arrived.
2. When you finish the book, please make another journal entry to share some of your thoughts - enjoyed the book, or absolutely hated it?
3. Continue the BookRing by checking this journal entry for the latest list, and sending a PM to the person after you on the list requesting their postal address.
4. Please try to send on the book as soon as you can, preferably within a month. If you need more time, that's not a problem at all. Either send me a PM or write a journal entry to let me know that the book is safe with you. Thanks! :)
5. Please provide the date when you have sent on the book, either through updating an existing journal entry or making a "controlled releases" release note.
6. Most importantly, ENJOY!

Participants:
1. puppymummy
2. luckaye
3. Pixette
4. freelunch

Book is now back home with me, thanks everyone! :)

Journal Entry 4 by leeny37 at Brunch venue: Kaleidoscope Cafe in Brunswick, Meet-up -- Controlled Releases on Friday, April 27, 2007

Released 10 yrs ago (4/27/2007 UTC) at Brunch venue: Kaleidoscope Cafe in Brunswick, Meet-up -- Controlled Releases

Well, not really a brunch meet-up, but this kinda fits. There's a ABC2007 committee meeting today at Kaleidoscope Cafe, so I will be handing this over to puppymummy in person to kick off this bookring!

Journal Entry 5 by puppymummy from Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Thursday, May 03, 2007

Just now journalling from the weekend, thanks leeny!

Journal Entry 6 by puppymummy from Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Wednesday, July 04, 2007

This book was terrific. I haven't come across the TV series, but now I am intrigued!
The concept of a psychopath who is doing the world somewhat of a favour is totally bizarre, but I like it. It was particularly fun when Dexter was trying to understand the behaviour of his girlfriend :)
Thanks for sharing this one - it's going in the post tomorrow.

Journal Entry 7 by luckaye from Logan City, Queensland Australia on Friday, July 13, 2007

Arrived today

Journal Entry 8 by luckaye at on Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Released 10 yrs ago (7/18/2007 UTC) at

Sending on to the next person

Journal Entry 9 by Pixette from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Friday, August 24, 2007

I received this book a little while ago and forgot to journal it. Sorry. It is an interesting little book.

Journal Entry 10 by Pixette from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Friday, September 14, 2007

I loved this book! I finished it on a plane flight as I'm off on holidays at the moment.

So different. The twists and turns of a murder detective mystery with such a darker premise. I am glad the author didn't resort to too much descriptive gore and guts but concentrated on the psychological. I felt I could start to understand the mind of a serial killer.

I now want more. I'll be seeking out the sequel.

I'll make contact with the next on the list and send it off on my return to oz.

Journal Entry 11 by Pixette at on Saturday, September 29, 2007

Released 9 yrs ago (9/27/2007 UTC) at

Posted off to next bookcrosser in bookring

Journal Entry 12 by freelunch from Cairns, Queensland Australia on Tuesday, October 02, 2007

received today, thanks Pixette (and thanks to leeny37 for organizing this ring) :o)

I hope to get to this book inside a month (it is currently ten-deep in my books-I-gotta-read pit)

Journal Entry 13 by freelunch from Cairns, Queensland Australia on Monday, December 17, 2007

it took longer than I'd hoped to get to it but I loved this book :o)

thanks for sharing it leeny37 - I'll have it in the post back to you later today...

Journal Entry 14 by leeny37 from Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Thursday, December 20, 2007

And it's back home! I am very impressed with how quickly it got here as usually mail takes ages during the Christmas/New Year period. Thank you everyone for being a part of this bookring, I'm glad you all enjoyed it! I do have the sequel to this and will start a bookring for it once I've read it. Let me know if you would like to join that one too! In the meantime, a merry Christmas and happy new year to all of you! Happy reading! :)