corner corner Vanishing Acts

Vanishing Acts
by Picoult, Jodi | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by LindyLouMac of Tywyn, Wales United Kingdom on 11/16/2006

status (set by LindyLouMac): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by LindyLouMac from Tywyn, Wales United Kingdom on Thursday, November 16, 2006

Synopsis:Amazon.co.uk
When is it right to steal a child from her mother? Delia Hopkins has led a charmed life. Raised in rural New Hampshire by her widowed father Andrew, she now has a young daughter, a handsome fiance, and her own Search and Rescue bloodhound - which she uses to find missing persons. But as she plans her wedding, she is plagued by flashbacks of a life she can't recall. Then a policeman shows up at her door, arresting her father for the kidnap of a little girl. And Delia's past and present fracture into little pieces. "Vanishing Acts" is a book about the very nature and power of memory. It explores what happens when the past we have been running from catches up to us, and questions who we trust to tell us the story of our lives before we are capable of remembering it ourselves.

Journal Entry 2 by LindyLouMac at Viterbo, Lazio Italy on Monday, December 05, 2011

As I have more titles by Jodi Picoult on my TBR shelves than by any other author I decided it was time I read another one of her books as I have not done so for a couple of years! I really used to enjoy her novels until I got bored with them all being so similar in format. It will be interesting to see how I feel after a break. I was not impressed! Maybe my tastes have changed as I really did not enjoy this one. It is strange as did I know somehow that this was going to be the case. I only discovered the work of this prolific author in 2006 although she has been a published author since the early nineties. I last reviewed a book of hers here back in August 2009, at which time it appears I was very keen on her writing having read eight up to that date. Why then has it taken me over two years to pick up another one, especially when even after reading this one I still have another six on our bookshelves waiting to be read. They will be read eventually as I am still hoping that this was a one off disappointment.

What would you do if you found the life you had lived for years was all a lie? This is exactly what happened to Delia Hopkins who has led an almost idyllic childhood with her widowed father. It would have been perfect had her mother not died in a car accident when she was very young. She is now on the verge of marriage with a daughter of her own and a search and rescue job that she loves. Sad that her mother will not be at her wedding she is disturbed by flashbacks from her past that she simple cannot recall. The nature and power of memory are strong and that is the central theme of this powerful story. What happens when the past we did not even know we were running from catches up with us and the memories come back to haunt you.

This should have been so much better than I found it to be as it had all the potential of being a gripping and sentimental story, which it was in parts. Just the parts that I did not like were a big let down for me. The truth hurts I know but I just found the scenes set inside the American prison system far too disturbing in my current frame of mind. Unfortunately these horrendous scenes spoilt the novel for me but do not let my weakness put you off. If you read this or have already done so I will be interested to know if you think I was over reacting; by letting just part of the story spoil the whole.

More details at LindyLouMac's Book Reviews

Journal Entry 3 by LindyLouMac at Viterbo, Lazio Italy on Monday, December 05, 2011

Dear Finder of this book,

You don't have to join or sign up or anything to bookcrossing to leave a comment here but if you do join, you will receive emails to alert you when others make a journal entry for this book and track its travels across the world. If you decide to join bookcrossing, now that you have discovered the site, I'd be delighted if you would mention me - LindyLouMac - as the person who introduced you to the site.

Happy reading

LindyLouMac

I am planning to release this book somewhere in Europe in the next couple of months. If you find this before I have done a Journal Entry please tell where you found it. Thankyou.

Journal Entry 4 by LindyLouMac at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (1/10/2012 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Given to a friend in Salisbury who may or may not make an entry.
Dear Finder of this book,