corner corner Heroics for Beginners

Heroics for Beginners
by John Moore | Literature & Fiction
Registered by freelunch of Cairns, Queensland Australia on 11/13/2006

status (set by freelunch): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by freelunch from Cairns, Queensland Australia on Monday, November 13, 2006

When a seemingly crazy, poorly dressed soothsayer tells you not to let a magical talisman fall into the wrong hands, take him or her seriously. DO NOT laugh it off and leave said talisman simply lying around on a side table; you might as well just end the world yourself.
-- The Handbook of Practical Heroics, p. 134

The kingdom of Deserae is in the most perilous of dire perils. The realm's precious magical talisman - Ancient Artifact Model Seven - is in the grimy hands of the evil Lord Voltmeter (He Who Must Be Named)...

Only one man can stop him (and, by the by, win the hand of Deserae's exceedingly well-proportioned princess). Unfortunately, he's never really done this sort of thing before. But Prince Kevin Timberline is determined to find a way into the Fortress of Doom (perhaps through the gift shop?), resist the advances of a leather-clad, whip-wielding temptress (well, maybe that's not so bad) and face an army of unspeakable nastiness (okay, that's bad) armed only with his reasonably pure heart, questionable courage - and most importantly, a copy of The Handbook of Practical Heroics...

Journal Entry 2 by freelunch from Cairns, Queensland Australia on Thursday, November 23, 2006

I'd like to offer this book as a Bookring. I'm limiting it to Australia and maybe New Zealand (if I can find someone in NZ prepared to post it back to Australia) and the standard rules apply:

1. Make a journal entry when the book arrives safely.
2. Please try to read the book within 4-6 weeks of receiving it - or make a journal entry to let us know how you're getting on if you need longer.
3. When finished, journal your thoughts about the book.
4. PM the next person on the list and send it to them.

The mailing order for this Bookring will be:

1. BellaMack
2. livrecache
3. catsalive
4. RockDg9
5. Crystaljade
6. amberC
7. sally906
8. freelunch <-- book returned home on June 27th, 2007

Journal Entry 3 by BellaMack from St Helens, Tasmania Australia on Sunday, December 03, 2006

Received today, thanks freelunch. Have four books before it but will do my best to have read it by the 4-6 week mark :)

Journal Entry 4 by BellaMack from St Helens, Tasmania Australia on Thursday, December 21, 2006

After reading 20 pages , this book really is not my style so am posting it off tomorrow to livrecache to enjoy!

Journal Entry 5 by livrecache from Hobart, Tasmania Australia on Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Arrived safely yesterday, thanks BellaMack.

I'm even more curious about this book now as I seem to share both freelunch's and BellaMacks' likes: however I guess there abound to be styles of writing that none of has in common.

Thanks for sharing, freelunch.

Journal Entry 6 by livrecache from Hobart, Tasmania Australia on Sunday, January 14, 2007

A nice easy somewhat humorous read, although not really my style of book -- but you don't know unless you try. Sending on to catsalive.

Thanks for sharing, freelunch.

Journal Entry 7 by wingcatsalivewing from Rooty Hill, New South Wales Australia on Friday, January 19, 2007

Received, thanks, livrecache.

Journal Entry 8 by wingcatsalivewing from Rooty Hill, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, February 06, 2007

What a very silly book, good fun though. I could certainly have told Kevin that you never get to leave a tourist attraction without going through the gift shop.

Thanks, freelunch. I'll get this off to RockDg9 ASAP.

Journal Entry 9 by wingcatsalivewing from Rooty Hill, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, February 08, 2007

Posted to RockDg9 this morning.

Journal Entry 10 by RockDg9 from Toowoomba, Queensland Australia on Saturday, February 17, 2007

This arrived here safe and sound - thanks freelunch and catsalive!

Journal Entry 11 by RockDg9 from Toowoomba, Queensland Australia on Saturday, March 10, 2007

This book had some good moments, and some great lines. But some of the humour missed its mark, and overall I don't think it left much of an impression on me. However, it was a fun read ... my favourite parts were the ventilation shaft and the strip search!

Journal Entry 12 by Crystaljade from Hervey Bay, Queensland Australia on Monday, March 19, 2007

I picked this one up from the PO yesterday. I've started reading it, and will journal properly when I finish. So far, it seems like a nice easy read.

Journal Entry 13 by Crystaljade from Hervey Bay, Queensland Australia on Thursday, March 29, 2007

I agree with catsalive...a silly, silly book! But kind of funny. Not the "Ha ha, laugh out loud" type of funny.....more the "shake your head, how did they think they'd get away with that one?" type of humour. Cornier than a bowl of popcorn, but worthwhile if you just want to veg for a time.

Oh, and no prizes for guessing which bad guy from a very famous series of books spawned the "bad guy" in this book!

Journal Entry 14 by wingamberCwing from Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Monday, April 30, 2007

Thanks for sending this book on crystaljade. I like the postcard too. One of the classes I work in is learning about whales so I'll take it along to add to the class collection of whale stuff.

Journal Entry 15 by wingamberCwing from Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Sunday, May 06, 2007

A very light, fluffy read. It made me smile at times. The perfect book for a Sunday afternoon when I was too tired to concentrate on anything that needed any thought.

I will pass this along to Sally at our next meet-up.

Journal Entry 16 by sally906 from Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Friday, May 18, 2007

Picked up at meet-up this morning

Journal Entry 17 by sally906 from Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Friday, June 22, 2007

A quick read that didn't require much thinking - lots of pun's - I enjoyed it - but didn't set the world on fire - have already mailed it - but saw that I had forgotten to journal my response :)

Journal Entry 18 by sally906 at Airmail in Bookring, Book Ring -- Controlled Releases on Friday, June 22, 2007

Released 10 yrs ago (6/21/2007 UTC) at Airmail in Bookring, Book Ring -- Controlled Releases

Mailed off this morning

Journal Entry 19 by freelunch from Cairns, Queensland Australia on Tuesday, June 26, 2007

received home safe & sound today.

thanks very much to everyone who participated in this ring :o)

---------------------------------